art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Youngling

WGW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weis and Hickman

The only other fantasy series I enjoyed was W&H's Rose of the Prophet series. I haven't read any of their others, and I couldn't get into Lord of the Rings because of the ridiculously long speeches. Anyone else feel the same way?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Youngling

HunterOTS has a spectacular aura aboutHunterOTS has a spectacular aura about

I haven't read that series but I read their Dragonlance books ages ago and enjoyed. When I worked at a used book store and got an employee discount I bought just about every fantasy novel that came through the doors so I probably have them somewhere in boxes. There are literally thousands of them and I assumed most were crap and just bundled away all but the ones I knew I'd read.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

I've read their Dragonlance books too. can recommend them if you want some decent low fantasy between all the epicness of high fantasy.

haven't read anything else by them though.

and never had any trouble with LotR. can't remember there being that many long speeches?

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 11-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Youngling

I don't think Dragonlance is low fantasy. They aren't on a personal quest or anything they're trying to save the world. I'm pretty sure thats what epic fantasy means.

Of course it isn't "epic" in the sense that WoT or LoTR or ASoFaI are but it is an attempt.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Youngling

Hmmm... well apparently low fantasy means it is set in the real world but with magic introduced: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_fantasy. What I was thinking of in my last response is a sub-genre called "sword and sorcery."

I guess the only low fantasy books I've read are Gaiman's novels.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default No one should miss The Death Gate Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGW View Post
The only other fantasy series I enjoyed was W&H's Rose of the Prophet series. I haven't read any of their others, and I couldn't get into Lord of the Rings because of the ridiculously long speeches. Anyone else feel the same way?
I think it's Weis and Hickman's best - it's a seven book series. I read it a few times.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGW View Post
About Lord of the Rings? I don't think so. I read it the first time in the 5th grade. lol.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterOTS View Post
Hmmm... well apparently low fantasy means it is set in the real world but with magic introduced: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_fantasy. What I was thinking of in my last response is a sub-genre called "sword and sorcery."

I guess the only low fantasy books I've read are Gaiman's novels.
oh. I was thinking about how there's like 10 characters and they're pretty much sterotypes ripped from RPGs(not that that's bad in itself). thought that was the definition of low fantasy while high was WoT style with 100s of characters and stuff

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
oh. I was thinking about how there's like 10 characters and they're pretty much sterotypes ripped from RPGs(not that that's bad in itself). thought that was the definition of low fantasy while high was WoT style with 100s of characters and stuff
thats exactly what i thought.

as for dragonlance. Loved it as a kid. Find it almost at goodkind levels of bad now. Not quite as bad as that but close. Still, WoT could do with a "sturm" moment...

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 11-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA View Post
I guess that can stand as a definition. The entire series was based off a D&D campaign the authors had, so of course the characters are RPG clones. If that is your definition though than by far most fantasy would be low.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I guess that can stand as a definition. The entire series was based off a D&D campaign the authors had, so of course the characters are RPG clones. If that is your definition though than by far most fantasy would be low.
yeah. I don't mean it's bad. it's good to have a breather from the heavy stuff like WoT once in a while. but it does have the same epicness either.

maybe if there isn't a term for it we could create one and go down in history

Old 11-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Youngling

I think what you're using as a definition for "epic fantasy" fits the word "epic" far better than what the current accepted definition of that genre. I don't see why something being set in a world different from our own makes it epic.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I think what you're using as a definition for "epic fantasy" fits the word "epic" far better than what the current accepted definition of that genre. I don't see why something being set in a world different from our own makes it epic.
true. who decides stuff like this? we should send a complaint

Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Youngling

All this stuff was probably made up by the fantasy freaks of the 50s and 60s. The guy who originally owned the bookstore I used to work at was an old-school fantasy nerd. He was all into Michael Moorcock and Conan and all kinds of stuff like that. He wouldn't even touch most modern fantasy. He sold the place and moved away way before I found WoT but I wish I had a chance to ask him about that, which he might have given a chance since RJ wrote some Conan stuff.