art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 11-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Youngling

HunterOTS has a spectacular aura aboutHunterOTS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by arioch View Post
Hey fellow Chicagolander ... I should clarify that I don't work 3rd shift, I work 2nd, although nowadays it does feel like a night shift.

I like where I'm at, decent pay, good benefits, in-stone annual raises, so I'm sticking with it and trying to switch to a daytime position ASAP.
My shift isn't a technical 3rd shift either. I work 6 pm to 6 am Thursday through Sunday. That is my shift form March/April through November. It sucks because I am on the opposite schedule of everyone in my life and I'm by myself the whole time so I feel like I'm going insane. I'll probably seek a position with lower pay to get onto a normal schedule once the job market is better.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Youngling

TankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of lightTankSpill is a glorious beacon of light

1. How long have you been reading WoT?

Since 1994. I read first five books then had to wait three months for LOC. Pure torture. Little did I know, that was right about the time that the real waiting games began.

2. Do you lurk and/or post at other WoT forums? Which ones?

Eh, I lurk a bit on dragonmount, and have posted there occasionally, but not often.

3. When did you discover the online fandom?

I originally found the FAQ and the old #tworivers IRC room back sometime around 1999 or 2000, don't remember precisely. I just remember that I loved to use the name "Mazrim_Taim," but eventually, some jackhole banned me from the server because his girlfriend had recently broken up with someone who had also used "Mazrim Taim", and she found the name disturbing. Lame.

4. Have you ever been to a WoT signing, with either RJ or Brandon? Tell us about it if you have!

No

5. What is your favorite WoT book? If you would rather, rank them all.

Typically, LoC is hands-down my favorite, but every now and then on a re-read, TSR is.

1. LoC/TSR
2. FoH
3. TDR
4. WH (Yeah, I'm one of the weirdos that really likes this book)
5. ACoS (See above)
6. TGS
7. ToM
8. TGH
9. KoD
10. tEotW
11. PoD
12. CoT
13. NS

6. Who are your favorite WoT characters? Least favorite?

Favs (a lot) - I have always liked Rand, even through his rough times. Mat's hard not to like. I like Perrin and Nynaeve, Moraine, Lan, and Aviendha as well, and most of the time, Min. Siuan comes next.

Least Favs - Gawyn and Egwene. They're a frakkin match made in heaven.

7. Are there any other books or series that you enjoy? As much as WoT? More?

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, by Tad Williams, is hands-down my favorite series. The Vlad Taltos series is very high up on the list as well.

8. What was your reaction to learning who killed Asmodean? Was it 'Yay!'? Was it 'You? No!'? Was it 'That's nice. Next!'?

Meh.

9. Would you like to see Brandon write the prequels and outriggers? Or would you rather he stopped writing WoT novels after A Memory of Light?

I don't think I would want him to, just because I think it's time for him to focus on his own things again. I don't need those stories (though I wouldn't mind reading them), and would like to see Brandon develop and flesh out his own worlds now. Maybe Harriet should pick some new authors to write more WoT books if needed?

10. Tell us something about yourself. Anything. It can be a random detail, or a 5-page essay. We are easygoing. (Except on Tuesdays.)

I'm a musician first and foremost. I play piano in a jazz combo locally, write my own music, and also play drums for a couple bands, and give piano lessons to supplement. My wife is on the fast track to become the CEO of a major company here in town. We spend our free time visiting her father and sailing at a small lake, or visiting my parents in the mountains.

I am also a web designer on the side - I have made several local bands' web sites, and have also been working on a social networking site that I hope will make me ridiculous amounts of money someday.

Finally, I'm a bit of an amateur writer. I have 360 notebook pages (and counting) of a story I've been working on for about 9 months now. I do not presume to be an author, but will definitely try to get the book published when I'm done.

Y. What are your favorite WoT mysteries?

I read an interview with RJ when I was first waiting for LoC to come out. He mentioned the whole, "I've had the final scene written since the beginning thing." That's it. I want to know how it ends. No offense to BS, but I really hope the ending we read is pure RJ.

Two other mysteries that I'm very interested: Logain's Glory, and "The One Who Folows After."

Z. Do you have any pet theories?

The only real theory I have is completely meta - I have not even a shadow of doubt in my mind that the whole Seanchan slavery issue is going to be taken care of. I know, not really a real theory, but hey, it's a prediction about the future of the series, I guess it counts.

One I didn't write, but absolutely love (but seems much less likely to happen now, as of ToM) is Moraine's purpose in the pattern being to balefire the crap out of Rand to keep him from being turned to the Shadow.

Edit: This is kinda in relation to a question, but not really. I totally sent RJ a letter (c/o Tor) after I finished the Fires of Heaven (the backs of the books used to even suggest that, don't know if they still do), telling him what I thought about him, and asking several questions. Here is the letter and his real responses (you'll see from the second question/answer that this was apparently before he went crazy with the whole RAFO thing).

Quote:
Dear Mr. Jordan,
I am a huge fan of the series. I have read the first five books in the last several months, after being introduced to them by my brother, and I just wanted to tell you how awesome you are. I am so sad that Moraine has died (please don't let her be dead!). I have three questions for you:

1 - Are we going to ever see any of the other thirteen Forsaken?

2 - Will we get to see Mat and/or Perrin be supremely awesome soon?

3 - Can I please have your autograph?

Sincerely,
XXXXX
Here is his verbatim response (I have always, and will always, assumed that he actually typed this out himself):

Quote:
Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for your letter. I am humbled that you have enjoyed these books so far, and hope you will enjoy Lord of Chaos, coming out in one month (as of the writing of this letter). I'm sure I miss Moraine just as much as you do, but have faith that she has served the Pattern well. In answer to your questions:

1 - Yes.

2 - Perrin and Mat will both be "supremely awesome" in the upcoming book.

3 - Yes.

Yours,
Robert Jordan
(signature)
So yeah, I have always thought that was really cool, and have kept the letter all these years. I like to think that the reason he put some reassurances about Moraine into book 7 (since 6 was already written at this time) was solely for the purpose of easing my mind.

Last edited by TankSpill; 11-17-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of
Talking Me

I have been reading WoT for about 10 years now - I first picked up the books when I was 11 years old and my grandfather passed TEotW and TGH onto me. My addiction by age 12 was such that my mother actually confiscated my collection and hid it from me, so, when I found where she had hidden them at age 17 (during a move), I had already purchased extra copies of many of the books...

I lurk, but not much else, at TV and DM. I'm also quite active in the deviantART WoT community.

I found DM first, in about 2007, when I got to the barely-censored wonderland of university internet. TV I joined a few months back. dA I joined about 2 or so years back.

4. Have you ever been to a WoT signing, with either RJ or Brandon? Tell us about it if you have!

I'm an Aussie... we don't get many opportunities.

Golly. I'd rather go by how battered my copies are relative to their issuing dates.
ToM is getting pretty battered, as is TGS, but TSR and FoH have lost their covers. TDR is about to. I used to love WH, but I think that was because it was "new", although CoT didn't get that honeymoon period. I still get the same nostalgic joy from TEotW that I used to. NS is very, very useful for WT fanart... I have made images of the Acc-AS testing room and the AS dining hall from its descriptions. TGH, ACoS, and TPoD are all... their own class, not brilliant, not bad. TPoD I like for the battles and the Weiramon tidbit (I always think it is in that book; is that correct?)

I love Ishydin, Moi, Min, Nyn, Avi, and Amys, but my favourite would have to be Verin. She was awesome from the very beginning, and ToM/TGS just added to her awesome.
Least favourite? Errr. I wish we knew more about Taim.

None I like better, but Robin Hobb and Pratchett generally come close.

8. What was your reaction to learning who killed Asmodean? Was it 'Yay!'? Was it 'You? No!'? Was it 'That's nice. Next!'?

I got to say I Told You So! HA. But I would love to learn specifics - was the killer the "maid" in the hallway?

9. Would you like to see Brandon write the prequels and outriggers? Or would you rather he stopped writing WoT novels after A Memory of Light?

Depends on the level of notes left. Ultimately, FANGURL WANT MOAR, but if it's crap...
It's interesting, but if you read some of BS's other works, he writes a lot like RJ did in the Fallon books, but with a bloody lot less sex!

10. Tell us something about yourself. Anything. It can be a random detail, or a 5-page essay. We are easygoing. (Except on Tuesdays.)

I have a weakness for Murray Gold.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Youngling

morat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to behold

1. How long have you been reading WoT? Fifteen years or so.

2. Do you lurk and/or post at other WoT forums? Which ones? Not much. RAFO's thread-based format is irritating; Dragonmount has too many people who can't spell. I argue about WOT at Westeros, though.

3. When did you discover the online fandom? A long time ago. Didn't participate until recently, though.

4. Have you ever been to a WoT signing, with either RJ or Brandon? No.

5. What is your favorite WoT book? If you would rather, rank them all. The Shadow Rising. Full ranking here.

6. Who are your favorite WoT characters?
Nynaeve, Mat, Elayne, and Tuon. I liked Asmodean while he was still around. Moghedien when she pops up. Alviarin deserves more scenes. Least favorite? Egwene do Avriny al'Vere and Gawyn Trakand. Perrin and Rand were up there until recently.

7. Are there any other books or series that you enjoy? As much as WoT? More? Yes.

8. What was your reaction to learning who killed Asmodean? OK. Makes no sense, but I didn't really care that much.

9. Would you like to see Brandon write the prequels and outriggers? Or would you rather he stopped writing WoT novels after A Memory of Light? I'll hold off on that until I see AMOL. His quality of writing has improved somewhat between TGS and TOM, but his characterization is still weak. For the Seanchan outrigger, his Tuon is abominable and I still have residual doubts about his ability to do Mat if most of his scenes in TOM were RJ's.

10. Tell us something about yourself. Anything. I have a cough at the moment.

Last edited by morat'corlm; 11-17-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Elder

123seem is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to 123seem

since 2008,about 3 months after i joined Heroes of the Horn in Guildwars
sometimes but its usually linked from posts by crzyman
not yet
eye of the world after that i think knife of dreams are my favorites
perrin i know his pain-favorite if you read the invasion of Malden while listening to ac/dc thunderstruck its so perfect together
rhapsody trilogy- rhapsody,prophecy,destiny. harry potter series. and mistborn trilogy.....none as much as wot
more like thats nice
im unsure i do enjoy his writng however his tempo is different from robert jordan-r.i.p.
hmm i am whatever you think i am but a little more exact would be that i enjoy martial arts -mostly weapons use im a guildwars player and i enjoy anime
Also, if you joined any time in the last couple of years, you don't have to answer this one. We can see your join date. If you joined on Yuku or some other board lost in the mists of time:
actually i did join on yuku- right before the change here
X. When did you join Theoryland?
And these are also optional - perhaps only for the most hard core:

what really is the relationship between thom and moiraine and will rand actually survive tarmon gaidon
Z. Do you have any pet theories? mat cauthon might be pitted against his wife or friends before the end of the series
Old 11-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

1.How long have you been reading WoT? - since 2002.

Yes, I joined Dragonmount a few months ago and lurk occasionaly on RAFO.

A few months after a finish my first read of the series. The main board I posted on during that time (2003-2005 mostly) was the WoT Book Forum at the Infogrames (later Atari message boards) as Demandred Z (later just Demandred).

4. Have you ever been to a WoT signing, with either RJ or Brandon?
No.

5. [B]What is your favorite WoT book?
1. TSR
2. TDR
3. TFOH
4. TGS
5. TGH
6. LOC
7. TOM
8. ACOS
9. EOTW
10. PoD
11. KoD
12. WH
13. CoT

6. Who are your favorite WoT characters? - Of the main six, Elayne and Mat. Among the others - Verin, Siuan, Rhuarc, Talmanes, Ituralde.

Least favorite? Egwene, Sevanna, Gawyn, Perrin of books 7-12, all Sea Folk characters except those in Book 4.

7. Are there any other books or series that you enjoy? As much as WoT? More? - Let's put it that way - there are a lot which I think are better objectively, but none which I have spent nearly as much time reading or discussing as I have done with WoT.

8. What was your reaction to learning who killed Asmodean?
"Finally!". And a bit of surprise the theory I supported was the right one. A lot of relief it wasn't Slayer, I really dislike this theory.

I am not sure really. Depends on how the things are resolved in AMOL. Right now I am leaning towards yes.

10. Tell us something about yourself. Anything. - I've spent way too much time on this board and reading the WoT books lately.

Once upon a time, I really loved disproving the Taimandred theory. Demandred's identity has always intrigued me. Verin's plans, of course.

Weiramondred from way back. Now it's "Demandred is gathering a huge army in Shara".

Last edited by David Selig; 11-17-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Youngling

NaeffOfDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

It was the summer before CoT came out. 2002ish?

I occasionally read the DM forums and used to post here and there on wotmania back in the day.

Pretty much right after I finished Crossroads I found Leigh's old FAQ and wotmania. Early 2003 I'd guess.

The only book signing I've ever attended was when I got to meet Rothfuss earlier this year. He read a snippet from WMF and it was awesome. I hope to get to JordanCon this year.

That's a hard one. Either TSR or TFOH, though TGH holds a special place for me because of the "Worlds That Might Be." Pretty much any writing like that where the characters are living things that aren't necessarily real qualify as my favorite WoT scenes (Accepted/AS testings, Rhuidean column walk, etc). I like the gateway it gives to the characters' inner fears and the fortitude they find to conquer them.

Really the only main character I genuinely dislike is Elayne. I like nearly all the others that people love to hate (e.g. Egwene, Cadsuane), but I'd put Mat and Nynaeve as my two favorites.

Matt Stover saved me from reading mindless tripe for the rest of my life. My first exposure to him was his entry in the New Jedi Order series. It was unlike anything I'd ever read in the genre, and I immediately picked up his Caine novels, which were a big bag of awesome soaked in awesome sauce. In the back of one of them was an interview where he cited Heinlein and Zelazny as some big influences on him, so I had to give them a try. So, in a nutshell, Matt Stover has enriched my life more than your average author.

Scott Lynch and GRRM are great too. Their output is slow, but Brandon is really spoiling us there. Also, I can't get enough of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels, or pretty much any Cold War era thrillers for that matter. Guilty pleasures, those.

I confess, my biggest worry was that it wouldn't be revealed organically in a way that made sense, especially this late in the series. I really liked the reveal in "Writings" because of its subtlety. I think this was a tribute to Jordan, because it's the kind of thing he would have done, probably laughing at us the whole time. I was disappointed in the killer's glossary entry though; I can't believe that made it through the editing process. As far as the actual identity of the killer, I'm glad we know, but I have no strong feelings one way or another.

I get the impression that there are a good deal of notes on the prequels, not outlines per se, but at least backstory notes that Jordan had when he was originally writing EotW. So, a resounding yes to the prequels.

If you'd asked me a year ago, I'd have said no to the outriggers. That was before Aviendha went to Rhuidean. Now I don't know what to think. I think it depends on if the story was plotted, even vaguely, by Jordan, or if Brandon and Team Jordan had to write them based on the premise he left. A lot hangs on AMoL. I need to know that it's all been worth it.

I was a trombone major in college, though you were more likely to find me reading a fantasy novel than in a practice room. Also, I've got a whole shelf full of Heinlein novels that I'm inordinately proud of.

I was resigned to Fain = Gollum, but now that Brandon has dispelled that in a recent interview, I have no idea what to expect, but I know it'll be great.

Verin was a favorite of mine that was wrapped up quite nicely. I doubt we'll get much more of her though; it would detract from her mystique.

I'm still holding out hope for Stasis Box Taim. Also, I've been a fan of Terez's Padan Fain Stealing Shadowspawn theory since before she codified it into dissertation length.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

A: Since 94ish...whenever TSR was still hardback and tFoH was coming out. Many many rereads since then.

A: Post here and sometimes at DM...dont go anywhere else unless we link it for some reason.

A: In mid-02 while deployed in Bosnia...I lurked on the mainsite here and the forums a little bit (they were so intimidating to me at the time as I'd never done such a thing)

A: Sadly no...I have emailed BS's team a bunch of times trying to get them to come to VT...no dice so far.

TSR...ranking them: TSR, tFoH, LoC, tEotW, TGH, TDR, CoS, TGS, ToM, TGS, WH, PoD, CoT

Favorites: Mat, Nynaeve, Rand, Berelain, Faile, Moiraine, Elayne, Bela, Galad

Least: Egwene, Egwene Sedai, The Amrylin, Egwene Aes Sedai, Gawyn

A: Anything by GGK, aSoIaF

A: About damn time...knew the truth for years.

A: Depends on what Harriet wants...I certainly wont be upset if she decides to have him do it.

A: At least once a week, I eat takeout Sushi for lunch.

Also, if you joined any time in the last couple of years, you don't have to answer this one. We can see your join date. If you joined on Yuku or some other board lost in the mists of time:

A: Sep 03 for the main boards, Jan 04 for the message boards...I never was a Youngling though (went straight from no rank to Elder)

A: What the hell is Demandred up to?!? Damn you RJ and BS for keeping it hidden for the past 8 books!!!

A: Rand is the Creator's Avatar, The Shaido are the remnant of a remnant, Nicola bonded Areina

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Last edited by Davian93; 11-17-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo987 View Post
10. So I am the oboe professor at the University of Iowa. It's a wonderful job which I love immensely even with (or maybe because of) its many challenges.
Awesome. I could have sworn I knew at least one person on the music faculty there, but I just looked at the faculty page and didn't see anyone except for a violin prof whom I believe is married to our ex-clarinet prof. Also, you might have gone to Eastman with one of our ex-piano profs, and I have a theory prof who did his doc at Yale but I think it was before your time, lol. You look pretty young.

We are losing our oboe prof at the end of this semester, which is sad, because she is awesome. But I don't think they have hired anyone yet, if you know anyone who is looking.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeffOfDreams View Post
I was a trombone major in college, though you were more likely to find me reading a fantasy novel than in a practice room.
I was the same way when I was a trumpet major. Now that I'm a piano major, I actually practice. I think brass players hate practicing more than any other instrumentalists. Something unpleasant about bashing your lips between your teeth and a huge chunk of metal.

Quote:
I've been a fan of Terez's Padan Fain Stealing Shadowspawn theory since before she codified it into dissertation length.
Yay! Now I need to re-write it with new info in mind. I no longer think he is the most likely candidate to have sent the attack on Ebou Dar, for instance - Graendal's comment about the Shadowspawn she was given to create chaos changes the stakes a bit. Also, the Shadow doesn't fear Machin Shin as much as I'd presumed. But the Mashadar element makes Fain posing as Sammael much more solid.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Youngling

@Terez

I'm not sure what kept me out of the practice rooms. Escapism maybe. I think I realized that making my hobby my job was making me grow to dislike it. Eventually I put down the horn for 2 years. We're cool now though. Truthfully, the piano is my first musical love. Unfortunately I couldn't bring my piano with me from Ohio to Wisconsin. Stupid small apartments with noise regulations and stupid small moving van.

There are a lot of musicians here (well, several anyhow); I like that. Also, I use the word "also", semicolons and parenthises more than is normal.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Since 1990 or 1991...whenever the half book was released

Quote:
Nope

Quote:
1999. I came here under another name first (which we won't discuss) then in 2000 I signed on as Sei'taer

Quote:
Yes. I got to meet RJ in Lexington, Ky (He explained "Easing the Badger" to me) (my pic with him used to be on the main TL page...might still be but I haven't been there in a while) and I met Brandon at Jordancon last year

Quote:
The Fires of Heaven

Quote:
Fav is Lan, least is Elayne

Quote:
Yes, quite a few.

Quote:
I haven't read that far yet, so no reaction.

Quote:
It wouldn't matter to me even a little bit. I think he would do a good job though.

Quote:
I just got a new pistol. Haven't even shot it yet. I carried a pistol all during J-con last year and nobody seemed to notice, so i guess my hidey holster works.

Quote:

2000, the month after SDog (Crispian) joined. January maybe???

Quote:

There are mysteries?

Quote:
Yup.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
Yes. I got to meet RJ in Lexington, Ky (He explained "Easing the Badger" to me) (my pic with him used to be on the main TL page...might still be but I haven't been there in a while) and I met Brandon at Jordancon last year.
I always assumed that it was a twisting of Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew," but I have no idea where I came up with that and have no evidence to support it.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Nicola bonded Areina
Would be awesome if Areina tried to go on a Black Ajah-killing rampage next book and got herself toasted.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Elder

arioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nicearioch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Would be awesome if Areina tried to go on a Black Ajah-killing rampage next book and got herself toasted.
Areina shows up in Caemlyn since it's the last place known to have some active Black Ajah, tries to "help out" with the battle, then gets roasted by trollocs.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Since around 1997.

No

Around -98 when I joined pre-theoryland.com when it was hosted on insidetheweb.com

No

At this point I can't say which one is the best, I think there are like three-four books after each other that ranks equally good. I certainly can't rank them all perfectly.

Been overall Mat.

Keeping to fantasy, I'd say The Dresden Files, A Song of Ice and Fire are high up on the list. I just wished that ASoIF would be completed anytime this century.

Was expected. Lousy way of telling us.

Leaning towards No. Depends on how much material there is to go from. If none it's basically fan fiction...

Swedish. 26 years old (27 in 8 days). Stays up way later than I I should (like today). I am a professional procrastinator.

Around -98, on Insidetheweb days

What the hell has Demandred been up to all this time?

By now most have either come true or been shot down horribly.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeffOfDreams View Post
I always assumed that it was a twisting of Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew," but I have no idea where I came up with that and have no evidence to support it.
Here's what he told me, and I'm paraphrasing quite a bit.

In Eastern Europe they have a badger called a honey Badger. It likes to break into honeybee hives and get the honey. People figured out that the Badger would get stung so many times it would basically go into a coma for a little while and then wake up and start eating the honey. If you were lucky enough to be around when he went into his comatose state, then you could ease him out of the way and steal the honey for yourself.

Now, how much of that is true, I couldn't tell you, but that's his explanation for the name. I wish I had gotten the chance to ask him about a nine horse hitch.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Since July 2003

www.readandfindout.com

July 2003. After Moiraine disappeared I *had* to find out if she came back. Sadly she hadn't yet

I saw Brandon in Lincoln. It's fun being around people who are nerdier than me

The Shadow Rising
Lord of Chaos
The Dragon Reborn
Knife of Dreams
The Gathering Storm

Tie: Crown of Swords/Eye of the World/The Great Hunt/Fires of Heaven/Towers of Midnight/Winter's Heart

Path of Daggers
Crossroads of Twilight

Favorite: Mat, Moiraine, and Tuon (pre-ToM *crosses fingers for her in AMoL*)

Least: Perrin - he improved in ToM but I think I will still groan in AMoL every time I see that it's his PoV again.

Farseer trilogy (it's the only thing that comes close to WoT for me)

8. I cared so little I'm deleting the question.

I change my mind about this a lot. I guess I'd like to see the Moiraine prequel but I'd be worried about her character not being right.

I owned a music store for 2 years. It was called Ozmo's. It was going to be Asmo's but it sounded too much like a bad word. The apostrophe on my sign was the Dragon Fang. I didn't ask permission to use it.

2003 or 2004

Last edited by jana; 11-17-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post

A: Sep 03 for the main boards, Jan 04 for the message boards...I never was a Youngling though (went straight from no rank to Elder)
Well that hardly seems fair, now does it?

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
Well that hardly seems fair, now does it?
There was a technical issue with the old boards where it wasnt giving new members any title. Tam never got around to fixing it while I was a Youngling is all.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Tags
roll call