art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): canadaexpeditio,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 02-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Another new old report - the original is missing, sadly, but this bit survived:

Quote:
Q: What was the deal with that sentence concerning True Power detectability?
RJ: The True Power is only detectable by the "single person" wielding it, and it cannot be seen by others, as the One Power can.

Q: What does Maisia mean?
Mr Jordan stated that it was a name for pets in the Age of Legends, "like Fido or Fluffy".

Q: Why couldn't Moghedien escape the leash with the True Power?
RJ: The a'dam would perceive *any*[emphasis mine] Power use and treat it accordingly.

RJ: Mat's medallion gets icy cold if someone directs the One Power at him, but it would be cool if the Power was being used near him, and almost cold if it were being used very near him.

Q: Would you please state for the record that Rand's helper at the end was not Lews Therin Telamon?
RJ: Lews Therin Telamon is dead, not walking around Shadar Logoth.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Terez! At least that puts to rest my question about what Maisia meant.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Agh, and I can't find the original report! Just a response to it that quotes some bits.
Was digging through my WoT files today and found the original report from Rasfwrj that has miraculously survived several HD crashes since 1997. I'll see if I can find any other signing/letter reports.

Quote:
Subject: My letter from RJ
Sent: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 01:00:17 GMT

A couple weeks after ACOS was released, I decided to write to Robert Jordan to clarify some of the issues that had come up in the newsgroup and some questions of my own. Well, today, I finally got a response. Apparently his publisher has been somewhat slow in getting his mail to him.

Now, before I get to the questions I asked and the answers he gave, I'd like to mention that in the letter, Mr. Jordan stated that he is due to turn the manuscript in this coming fall, and that the book is not yet titled. Of course, the letter from him is dated Jan 14th, 1997, so it may have a title by this time.

OK, on to good stuff. Below are the questions I asked (paraphrased), and his answers, if given. Any direct quotes from Mr. Jordan are placed inside quotation marks, sensibly enough.

1. What was the deal with that sentence concerning TP detectability?

His answer was that the True Power is only detectable by the "single person" wielding it, and it cannot be seen by others, as the OP can.

2. What does Maisia mean?

In case you don't remember, Sammael called Graendal this when they were messing with the Shaido. Mr Jordan stated that it was a name for pets in the AoL, "like Fido or Fluffy".

3. Why couldn't Moghedien escape the leash with the TP?

I'm just going to quote the whole response to this:

"the a'dam would perceive *any*[emphasis mine] power use and treat it accordingly"

I don't know about you, but this seems to support the idea that one must be able to channel the OP in order to use the TP.

4. What do Rand's wards on Callandor ward against exactly?
5. Are the black cords on male FS the means to access to the TP?
6. If so, why don't the female FS have them?

Read and find out on all three counts. Damn. I still don't think the cords have anything to do with TP usage though.

7. What the hell is up with balefire (in regards to Nyn and the boat)?

The main issue with this was whether or not balefire burned inanimate objects back through time in addition to living creatures. According to Mr. Jordan, yes it does.

8. Why did Mat think that someone was "holding" the True Source when his medallion grew cold? (That is I thought it only did this when he came in contact with an actual flow. This occurred on page 595 of ACOS, for reference.)

I'm going to quote the whole response again.

"Mat's medallion gets icy cold if someone directs the One Power at him, but it would be cool if the Power was being used near him, and almost cold if it were being used very near him."

9. Why was Cadsuane dropped in out of the blue?

Basically, the problem people were having was that she was supposedly a legend among her sisters, so we should have heard of her before ACOS. Mr. Jordan's response was that most Aes Sedai hadn't seen hide nor hair of her in twenty years. To quote: "The assumption on the part of nearly everyone was that she *had*[emphasis his] to be dead by this time." Essentially, I take this to mean they didn't bother talking or thinking about her because of this assumption. He also stated that "only a few sisters had seen her" during the capturing of Logain and that her involvement with the incident was minimal.

10. Was what you said about us having all the necessary evidence to unmask Asmodean's killer true (as of tFoH)?

He still maintains that we should be able to "puzzle out" the killer.

11. Would you please state for the record that Rand's helper at the end was *not* LTT?

To quote (and God do I like to hear this): "Lews Therin Telamon is dead, not walking around Shadar Logoth."

I'm quite sure it's a safe assumption that he isn't walking around anywhere else either.

Thomas S. Howard

Last edited by Terez; 02-27-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added link to partial report
Old 02-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks sleepinghour! That is awesome. But I hate these people who won't just quote the whole freaking letter. And it's always the guys who are stingy about it. The girls just give you the whole damn letter. Now what does that say about the guys?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Thanks sleepinghour! That is awesome. But I hate these people who won't just quote the whole freaking letter. And it's always the guys who are stingy about it. The girls just give you the whole damn letter. Now what does that say about the guys?
They know the value of having a strong bargaining position?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't find any other letter/signing reports that weren't already in the database, but there's one interview with SFX magazine that I think we're missing, although it's listed as a source in RJ's Wikipedia article. Even if there's nothing new in it, it would be great to have transcribed.

Quote:
Subject: RJ SFX Interview
Sent: 18 April 1997 20:37

Right then, this is my first mailing so God have mercy on my soul if I write something offensive, stupid, boring or grammatically incorrect...

Anyway, a British SF magazine (SFX) had an interview with RJ a few months back, circa Feb or Mar I think. In the interview he said a few things which I haven't read in the FAQ or the newsgroup:

Firstly, in the event of his death his will states that his notes on TWoT are to be destroyed and no-one is to complete the series for him.

Secondly, The Final Battle (Tarmon Gai-don or however it's spelled) has already started but only now (book 7) are the characters beginning to realise this.

Thirdly, in defeating the DO, the good guys can expect absolutely no help off the creator, and no miracles will occur.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ohh, I just saw the last post! Stupid mark-read bug. Thanks again! (I need to rep some more people so I can rep you again.)

(By the way, with search words to work with I found the original.)

Last edited by Terez; 03-03-2011 at 02:51 PM.