art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read > WoT Re-Read with Brandon Sanderson
User Name
Password

Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Dragon Reborn 27 - AMoL Foreshadowing Discussion

In case you missed it, @BrandSanderson dropped a small bombshell on us on Twitter today.

"Wow. TDR 27 has a cool little foreshadowing for the end of AMOL that I'd never noticed before. #wotrr"

Twitter is blowing up about it. A few ideas are being floated. Here's a list (non-exclusive) of some, in no particular order. Some are mine, others are not.

-Egwene/Lanfear/Callandor/Tel'aran'rhiod. Egwene meets Lanfear again? Lanfear gets her hands on Callandor? Callandor in Tel'aran'rhiod? Lots of theories about this particular combination of events.
-Egwene thinks that the only way to help Rand would be to gentle him.
-Verin comes into the kitchens. Maybe she stashed the Horn with Laras?
-Egwene thinks that Rand won't be for Elayne, at least not in marriage.
-Maybe he meant foreshadowing the end of Towers of Midnight, and this was a typo? The chapter does reference Verin being Black Ajah.

What do you think?

Chapter 27: http://bit.ly/hqc93D
Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default A Small Foreshadowing

I know I posed some significant plot threads when originally seeing Brandon's tweet, but I doubt he would have broken something as big as Lanfear/Callandor regarding the end of the final book in the series. While Brandon is a bit chatty, that would be pretty damn significant. So, I recommend we look at something that wouldn't be so big, that even when we read it we wouldn't be disappointed that he broke the news early.

I like Verin's "have you found anything?" [...] "well keep looking" as a candidate. Potentially revealing another Black Ajah

Elayne discussing having three or four warders and marrying one, which Egwene thinks would be good if it were a commoner and not the Dragon Reborn. Foreshadowing a potential real marriage to Rand at the very end, assuming he lives, Tolkien-esque.

Another is Egwene seeing Rand smoking a pipe of tabac.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Verin's "have you found anything? Well, keep looking" is the most likely one I can think of. Egwene chalks it up to Verin being easily distractable, but we know that she's just putting on an act when she pretends to be the absent-minded professor and isn't likely to have let anything slip by mistake. Maybe there's something to find in the kitchens? There have been some theories floating around that Laras is the one hiding the Horn.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I do like the Laras theory. If for no other reason than that it's a shame she never met Mat when he was in the Tower. She would have loved him, as he would of course have reminded her of her days as a lively girl.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
Another is Egwene seeing Rand smoking a pipe of tabac.
I don't see much foreshadowing in Egwene's visit to Rand's Dream campsite, but it might tie into Min's Viewing of two bodies and a smoking pipe?

The only potential foreshadowing I see is Silvie's comment, "What might a Forsaken give to hold Callandor?"

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Youngling

hinkel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default narrowing the field

Given that Brandon posted his teaser between two tweets concerning events in the chapter we can pinpoint, it stands to reason that the foreshadowing occurred between those moments.

The tweet occurring prior to the teaser was about Eggy and her romantic feelings towards Rand and Galad as she's getting ready to test out the ring.

The tweet that follows is about the Supergirls first reaction to the BA in Tear being the desire to go after them.

Therefore, I don't think it's anything about Verin's comments or activities in the kitchens. It's almost certainly contained within the trip to T'A'R.

After a quick read through the relevant pages, the things that stand out to me are Eggy's thoughts about gentling Rand, her never killing him, Rand's fiery eyes, or something about the dream world being no less real for being a dream.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with your deduction. There are a few other things that happen in T'A'R that are worth considering, but I think you're right.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

From what I've been reading, both here and in the books, it looks to me that Eggy is starting to consider gentling Rand. Especially the way she was going in TOM? Yeah, I wouldn't put it past her to have that as a back-up plan at least.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR, Chapter 27
A whirring sound, and she jumped before she recognised a cricket
Obviously, Jiminy Cricket is going to save the day, by startling Shai'tan (Egwene's alter ego) at a crucial moment.

Seriously, it more likely has something to do with Lanfear. She gives quite a few interesting hints there, any one of which might be it.
"Even the Shadow can't take being called a fool."
"What wouldn't one of the Forsaken give, to hold Callandor?"
Old 03-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Youngling

rdmaxwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Silvie's Comment

I know Silvie=Lanfear, but what about her comment to Egwene?

"You know poor old Silvie, my Lady. Served your family faithfully all these years. Does this old face still frighten you? Don't let it, my Lady. It serves me, when I need it, as good as a prettier."

Somehow "Silvie" has been "serving" Egwene's "family" for a long time. That might come into play at Shayol Ghul.

Last edited by rdmaxwell; 03-03-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

I never thought to wonder before, but why is Perrin chaining himself to a post? Not just any post, but a "thick pillar of rough-cut, black stone," which is hardly the regular decor for the interior of an inn. Previously when I've read that passage I thought the point of it was to reiterate the connection between Perrin and his wolf dreams and Egwene's TAR training, since tDR is when those story lines first started to be developed, but now I wonder if it's meant to foreshadow some sort of connection between Perrin and the Black Tower. He's planning to go there to investigate the second Dreamspike soon, and he was one of the first characters to start treating the Asha'man like human beings.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
I never thought to wonder before, but why is Perrin chaining himself to a post? Not just any post, but a "thick pillar of rough-cut, black stone," which is hardly the regular decor for the interior of an inn.
He thinks of himself as becoming a dangerous wolf, so he has chained himself to the post as you would chain up an attack dog to keep it from biting visitors. The post might be described that way just to emphasize its strength (perhaps because Perrin has broken posts in his dreams before).
Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
From what I've been reading, both here and in the books, it looks to me that Eggy is starting to consider gentling Rand. Especially the way she was going in TOM? Yeah, I wouldn't put it past her to have that as a back-up plan at least.
I don't think she's considering it yet. I also doubt that this is the "cool little foreshadowing." That's kind of a big one. She's frustrated by Rand; she's scared by what he wants to do, but she's not a fool. Gentling the Dragon Reborn before the Last Battle - everyone knows what that would mean.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

I think she would kill him before she would gentle him.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, he might not like being gentled, and Nynaeve would Heal him again anyway. So then there would be an angry Dragon roaming around. I think that Egwene is not stupid enough to risk that, but I am not entirely sure.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Youngling

rdmaxwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Maybe Egwene is going to stick her head in a bear's mouth...Twice.

Once Luca's show arrives...
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Elder

Juan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud ofJuan has much to be proud of

The almighty Amyrlin would never do such a thing.

I went to a garage sale. "How much for the garage?" "It's not for sale."
Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
The almighty Amyrlin would never do such a thing.
And the ever wise Queen of Andor would never let herself get kidna-uh, tricked into- crap, lured into a-dammit!

Okay, whose idea was it to put a blonde on one of the most powerful thrones!?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Okay, whose idea was it to put a blonde on one of the most powerful thrones!?
That would be young master al'Thor, now, wouldn't it?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
That would be young master al'Thor, now, wouldn't it?
I was going to say the other Lords and Ladies who threw their vote in with her lot.