art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 13: Towers of Midnight
User Name
Password

Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Youngling

Glen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadar View Post
Ituralde thought of sending men to be healed by the Ashamen and Aes Sedai. Unless the Green Ajah actually lifted their fingers for once -- Ituralde didn't have any AS with him.
I think it's a mistake of a different sort. Here's the mention of Aes Sedai I think you're referring to, in Chapter 18, from Ituralde's POV, regarding another man, Rajabi:

"He now hobbled as he walked, his left leg hurt in the fighting and amputated beneath the knee. Aes Sedai had Healed him as best he could, and he walked on a peg." (emphasis mine)

There are two possibilities, here, as I see it - either it was supposed to say that an Asha'man had healed him (hence the "he"), or it was referring to a previous instance of fighting (or perhaps that the leg was only injured during this fighting, and the amputation was a previous event) and the "he" is referring to the fact that normal healing works from the healed person's own energy. If it's the former, it's definitely an error, but clearly in the form of a typographical error rather than an inconsistency in the story. In the latter case, there's no issue... but the use of "he" still troubles me.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Selig View Post
I think the scene in question is in Chapter 21, when Perrin got a report from Seonid that Rand is in Arad Doman, and he thought "from the visions — and they appeared as Seonid spoke — he knew that Rand was where she said."

How did he know ir's Arad Doman is a good question. Probably he saw that most women around Rand in the vision were wearing those famous Domani dresses.
That's probably the one I was looking for. Thanks. Yeah, it seemed strange to me, reading through, that Perrin identified it with such certainty, rather than just thinking that his visions were consistent with it.

Last edited by Glen; 12-08-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Youngling

morat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
"He now hobbled as he walked, his left leg hurt in the fighting and amputated beneath the knee. Aes Sedai had Healed him as best he could, and he walked on a peg."
I rather liked that; it fit well with Ituralde's voice as I imagine it to say "Aes Sedai had Healed him as best [as] he could [be Healed]". Which constructions to use for which characters is something Sanderson struggles with at times, but it wasn't something to strike me as odd while reading, as a number of things did. I don't think it needs correcting.

If I'm going to contribute I might as well publicly add my (thread-derailing) PM regarding your earlier post: Aviendha sees sunlight after her vision of being Norlesh in TOM48, while it had been cloudy upon her arrival at Rhuidean in TOM45; it's one of the few things that allows her timeline to be constructed.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Youngling

CreationEdge is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax View Post
"What do you want my Oath on?" he asked warily. The balding groom called for two more men to help.

"That you'll ride to Fal Moran before you enter the Blight, and that if anyone wants to ride with you, you'll let him.

His smile was small, and sad. "I've always refused to lead men into the Blight, Nynaeve. There were times men rode with me, but I would not--"

"If men have ridden with you before," she cut in, "men can ride with you again. Your oath on it, or I vow I'll let you ride the whole long way to Shienar." The woman was fastening the cinches on Loversknot's saddle, but the three men were still struggling to get Mandarb's saddle on his back, to keep him from shaking off the saddle blanket.

"How far south in Shienar do you mean to leave me?" he asked. When she said nothing, he nodded. "Very well, Nynaeve. If that's what you want. I swear it under the Light and by my hope of rebirth and salvation."

Nynaeve wanted him to go to Fal Moran for the men, not for Fal Moran. I just assume there'd be men loyal to him that'd follow him just because they knew where he was headed. Essentially: If he went there, he'd leave with men following him, no matter what he said.

But, Nynaeve really wanted him to promise to let men follow him, not to go to Fal Moran. So, she changes what the oath really is: To let men follow him. She dropped the Fal Moran bit right away, but they continued on the men following part.

THAT is the oath Lan took. Not an oath to go to Fal Moran.

As I read it, anyway.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:00 AM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by morat'corlm View Post
Lots of people who might ride with him?

There's nothing to say he didn't, so it isn't an error. Plus, the main east-west road (which Lan probably had followed since he gave up secrecy at the western border of Arafel) goes through Fal Moran to Fal Dara and thus to Tarwin's Gap.

Not all Wheel of Time maps given in the series, agree with that point of view.
Fal Moran is on the main east-west road, yet Fal Dara is not.

Notice how the orientation of Fal Moran, Fal Dara vary in this above map compare to this other map's perspective?

The relative positioning of Fal Moran, Fal Dara are not consistent. Nor is the main east-west road running roughly parallel to Blight at consistent in either map.

Which city is further to the west, Fal Dara or Fal Moran?
Did Lan enter Fal Moran, as the first part of his Oath or not?

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Youngling

morat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to behold

Huh. That's a good point; the main cover map shows the geography completely differently.

Another point of interest: if True Power Traveling does not involve TAR, then why would Moridin's trump card when handing a dreamspike over to Graendal be "I know the key for this one."? Surely he could simply bypass it by ripping a hole through reality. Yes, it needed to be said to establish the properties of the dreamspike, but if the thing couldn't keep him out anyway the phrasing makes no sense.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Youngling

Glen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by morat'corlm View Post
Another point of interest: if True Power Traveling does not involve TAR, then why would Moridin's trump card when handing a dreamspike over to Graendal be "I know the key for this one."? Surely he could simply bypass it by ripping a hole through reality. Yes, it needed to be said to establish the properties of the dreamspike, but if the thing couldn't keep him out anyway the phrasing makes no sense.
Perhaps travelling to a Spiked location using the True Power actually destroys the spike.

Indeed, here's an interesting thought - TP travelling sounds a little more like how Portal Stones work. Maybe there's a connection. Perhaps, where OP travelling involves passing infinitesimally through T'A'R, TP travelling actually involves passing infinitesimally through a mirror world, essentially tearing up that mirror world in the process (in order to make the "similarity").

Part of the problem, I think, is that we don't know how dreamspikes work, even if our interpretation of travelling and how it blocks travelling is accurate. We also don't know what they mean when they talk of a "key" - perhaps there's a certain "path" through the blocking, so that, if you know exactly where to enter, and how to make your way through the "barrier", you can enter. This could be referred to as a "key".

It's also possible that he meant that he knew the key, so she shouldn't feel safe at all, as he could reveal that key to others.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Youngling

bgrishinko has a spectacular aura aboutbgrishinko has a spectacular aura aboutbgrishinko has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to bgrishinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoT, Ch.28
"Fortune rides like the sun on high
with the fox that makes the ravens fly.
Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,
He snatches the moons from out of the sky."
Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of lightning involved when Mat lost his eye? Or does this just imply that he has a quick eye or something like that?

"Duty is heavier than a mountain, death is lighter than a feather."
Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I believe it might have something to do with the eye on his medallion, which is the ancient symbol of the Aes Sedai. Channeling is often associated with lightning.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

A quote which directly contradicts that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToM, Chapter 2, Questions of Leadership
There was no lightning.
Couldn't resist.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Youngling

bgrishinko has a spectacular aura aboutbgrishinko has a spectacular aura aboutbgrishinko has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to bgrishinko

Smart alec

"Duty is heavier than a mountain, death is lighter than a feather."
Old 04-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Youngling

Elmindreada has a spectacular aura aboutElmindreada has a spectacular aura about

This isn't necessarily an error, but it has me curious...

In TGS Ch. 37 Rand pulverizes Natrin's Barrow. However, in the prologue of ToM, we get Graendal's POV and see her escape through a TP gateway. At this point, Rand has access to the TP as well after his Semirhage incident. My question is... might Rand have been able to sense Graendal's escape? She left her gateway open for a few moments after her hideout got BFed while she was supposed to be dead.

Of course, I can't remember how far away Rand is from Graendal, but what I'm really going off of is this:

ToM Prolouge: Distinctions
"Aran'gar turned, staring through the walls in the direction of al'Thor. 'So much power! What is he doing?"

If Aran'gar can detect saidin, wouldn't Rand be able to detect enough TP for a gateway? Aran'gar's quote imples (to me) that she'd be able to sense much less, as she's stunned that she sense him holding so much, not the fact that she can sense it at all.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

I don't have the quotes handy, but I'm quite sure RJ said somewhere that TP-channelers cannot sense others channel it.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 04-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

Even if they could, we don't know the range of detection with the True Power, plus Rand was quite far away, on another hill. The way I read Aran'gar's quote, she was only able to sense him because Rand used a huge amount of saidin.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Youngling

Elmindreada has a spectacular aura aboutElmindreada has a spectacular aura about
Default Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
I don't have the quotes handy, but I'm quite sure RJ said somewhere that TP-channelers cannot sense others channel it.
I'm a bit confused on that part too, but the part that has me considering it, is this:

ToM Prologue:

"The True Power gave no hint, no sign. Male or female, no one could sense the weaves- not unless he or she had been granted the privilege of channeling the True Power.

That, and the fact that Graendal can see/sense Moridin's gateway weaves, although that might be an error in itself

Of course, maybe that means only the weaves can be sensed... not "holding" of the TP.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Even if they could, we don't know the range of detection with the True Power, plus Rand was quite far away, on another hill. The way I read Aran'gar's quote, she was only able to sense him because Rand used a huge amount of saidin.
That's true I guess, but I still like it, just for some good old-fashioned speculating.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Rand might have gotten a bit of a sensory overload at that time, though, what with someone throwing around a humongouos amount of balefire right in the direction he was looking.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Youngling

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I forget the specifics, but...

I seem to recall being confused about the dreamers ability to wake up from T'A'R during the dreamspike incident in Tar Valon. I remember Eqwene and the other AS were unable to wake up but I also remember something about the wise women mentioning other wise women having woken up.

I'll have to go and check it out again to see what it was. Anyone else remember that? If it's been mentioned between pages 5 and 10, forgive me. I'm only on page 4 othe thread.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

More proof of Egwene's overarching ambition:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToM, Chapter 45, A Reunion
Dyelin said nothing to that. She didn't believe that Chesmal had been talking of a specific invasion of Andor; she thought that the Black sister had been speaking of the Trolloc invasion of the Borderlands. Birgitte took the news more seriously, beefing up soldiers on the Andoran borders. Still, Egwene would very much like to have control of Cairhien; if Trollocs were to march on Andor, through her sister realm would be one of the avenues they might use.
Or perhaps it should've read "Elayne".
Old 04-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

I remember that this passage was the reason for a whole Egwene bashing thread on readandfindout.com, with something like 30 replies before I posted that it's most probably a mistake.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I remember that this passage was the reason for a whole Egwene bashing thread on readandfindout.com, with something like 30 replies before I posted that it's most probably a mistake.
Spoilsport.