art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Conventions
User Name
Password

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel
Default Very small report: Pancakes and fries meet 2011

DISCLAIMER: I typed below report around 23.00 hours, when I was really tired and had a headache. As people might notice, my english deteriorates when I am mad or tired. All mistakes are mine. Next time I won't post a report so quickly, but try to make sure it's gramatically correct first. (although that probably won't happen, but i can try).
Other dutchies will probably write a better report. I will keep editing and improving this one.

---
Hey all,

I just had a great day today. This morning I signed for my house. So I officially own a house now. (that will be built and hopefully ready and of 2012)
After that I went to work and suddenly got a text by Dai Shan around 3.30, that Brandon was in Amsterdam.

Brandon missed his flight to Oslo in Amsterdam, so he had time left.

So ofcourse I didd a little fangirl cheer and dropped everything i was doing at work and went to Amsterdam.
Thankfully I didn't have a meet this afternoon at work. So I could actually do this.

I arrived in Amsterdam around 4. although we weren't supposed to meet up till 4,.45.
I walked to the dam square, but didn't see Brandon anywhere. I was thinking of heading to the ABC, but i thought if i went there i wouldn't make it on time. So i didn't. Afterwards I heard Brandon was there and signing books, so i should have done it.
Apparantly the ABC people were really nice and invited him over next time. I think they were even willing to pay for hotel and train in europe?

When Brandon arrived around 5 at the meeting spot, there were about 11 other dutchies who made it.
Pretty big group Especially when you get a warning in less than 3 hours before the meet. It was on a working day.

The restaurant we were planning to go to was full. Someone of the group was so smart to call ahead.
So I actually guided all the people to find a restaurant were they had pancakes. We ended up in a restaurant near the Central Station. (Blom)

It was really fun there. Just to hang out and talk.
And Brandon found out that you don't put salt on your pancake. (he took one with cheese and bacon) and he took some fries with mayonaise.

I didn't have any questions prepaired, so i texted WSB for some questions.Unfortunately my phone was full, so the text messages disappeared after i read them. I only rememebered two question of WSB.

Oh yeah, i first asked him some questions about the influence of the Dark One at Shayol Ghul. I first tried to ask about the influence of the Dark One around SG in the Age of Legends, but that really went nowhere. So I just asked about the current influence at Shayol Ghul.
The ceiling in the tunnel to the Bore is actually being lowered by the Dark One and he can actually close it. So it's not imaginary.

Another question I asked was about the structure of AMOL. That is perfectly clear, Brandon knows every scene, but he just has to write it.

The title A memory of light is still fitting for the book. I was wondering about it, because RJ origiinally wanted all in one book.

There were more questions also about his other books, but i don't remember it at this time. Perhaps it will come back tommorow.

The questions of WSB were:
1. How did Fain know the dagger was in the white tower?
That's because ofcourse he senses it.

** it really felt like a duh question and looking backwards I should have asked more on range and stuff like that. The same with the range of him sensing Rand. Sorry, I failed a little bit as a theorylander. **

2. Why did the Seanchan attack Ghealdan?
If I remember the answer corrctly. The Seanchan attack places, because they wanna conquer the whole world and it's not smart to attack the borderlanders.
@Terez :LOL, I forgot that the Seanchan haven't really launched a full scale attack on Ghealdan yet (in the current time). But it also could be that Brandon interpreted the question differently. The Seanchan did conquer Ghaeldan in the vision of Aviendha.
I am not sure what WSB wanted with this question. However it didn't seem there was anythinig exciting there.

Oh yeah, I also asked about the TAR fight (that was actually during the walk to the restaurant) and if the Black Ajah shouldn't have been more blurred out. See discussion at RAFO.
http://www.readandfindout.com/wheelo...eboard/209917/
He told me that someone send him a theory about it. He was thinking if he would post that theory and tell what parts are wrong and right. (if i remember correctly) Or he was thinking of keeping the answer a secret.

Oh yeah, about the releas date. Brandon hopes to finish the book this year, but the release date depends on how fast the editing is going. Harriet wants to take 6 months to edit it. As everyone knows, last year was hell and went too quickly with editing.

During the meal i got text messages by Dai Shan, about how crappy it was that he was playing piano for ballet classes and couldn't be here.
YKS was also at work, but she was around 6.30 at central station and at that time Brandon needed to head back to the airport. So she went with us to get him there ))))))) It was really good to see Doris again.

During the train ride I asked about the Black Ajah hunters. Because I felt like there was so much built up and not everything was dealt with. So i asked if for example there werent that many notes on it. But it was, most of those Egewene parts were RJ's. So I guess it didn't went like i expected

Brandon is working also on prologue, chapter 1 and some other random scenes for AMOL. He told us that one part of the prologue is mostly RJ's. For the last books it was the borderlands part in the prologue and the farmer part in TGS.

There were also other probably interesting questions, but i forgot. Sorry. Really tired now, going to sleep.

--

Before i forget: there were two people who made this meeting possible. One women (i forgot her name) who picked up Brandon at the airport and Martijn(?) who gave Brandon a tour from three till 4.45. (and tweeted with him beforehand)
Thanks for helping Brandon and tweeting with him.

Oh and i didn't take any notes, so lets wait and see what other people confirm The sentences are how i remember it. (and could be that some questions are already asked)

--

I edited a few small things. Sorry for the crappy english and everything, but i wanted to write the report. Perhaps next time, I will wait with writing till my head is cleared :P :P :P :P
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.

Last edited by Isabel; 06-01-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default ...Isa!

Nice job and very cool that you got to see Brandon on your side of the world...but it's hard to make sense of those questions
Old 05-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
The restaurant we were planning to go to was full. Someone of the group was so smart to call ahead.
So I actually guided all the people to find a restaurant were they had pancakes.
We ended up in a restaurant near the Central Station.
I don't even remember the place I went with Sare and Gonzo but it was somewhere by there. I also had cheese and bacon.

Quote:
Oh yeah, i first asked him some questions about the influence of the Dark One at Shayol Ghul. I first tried to ask about the age of legends, but since i couldn't really make clear what i wanted to know, I just asked about the current bore.
The ceiling to the Bore is actually being lowered by the Dark one and he can actually close it.
Is he talking about the tunnel with the stalactites? Cause the Bore just has that sky thing.

Quote:
The other question was also a duh question.
2. Why did the Seanchan attack Ghaldean.
Answer: because they wanna conquer the whole world and it's strategically good sport and not smart to start with attacking the borderlanders.
Did I miss something?

Quote:
During the meal i got text messages by Dai Shan, about how crappy it was that he was playing piano for ballet classes and couldn't be here.
That sounds like a decent gig!

Quote:
Brandon is working also on prologue, chapter 1 and some other random scenes for AMOL. He told us that one part of the prologue is mostly RJ's. For the last books it was the borderlands part in the prologue
That's nice to know. Everyone loved that scene.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default Hard to make sense of questions?

C'Mon Tam, we can turn any random three English words into fodder for an entire board.

Great Job Isabel. Glad to see your stalking skills are just as keen on your home turf.

Also, sad to see 'confirmation' that it'll be the Dark One's Own Luck if we see the book in spring. Ah well, more editing is better, and I think summer is traditionally the strongest time for sales other than pre-Christmas, so that'll work out for the best as well. We've got to push that pesky GRRM guy into 2nd place. :-)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold

LOL. I really typed this report really really quickly.
Because i was so tired. Sorry people
Going to edit it now.

@Terez: i asked about the tunnel with the stalactites.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I figured. And I figured the tiredness had something to do with Ghealdan.

Edit: But maybe not. Can I just pretend like you said um, Amadicia? No, because they had the Whitecloaks. Damn.

Last edited by Terez; 05-31-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Well, It's quite possible Brandon did hear Amadicia It was a really in between question.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

I'll pretend like you said Altara. There wasn't anything worth conquering there, except for Mat, and he doesn't count. So the question makes sense in that context.

There, I'm happy now.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Another thing I will add in my report later.

I might have mentioned something to Brandon that I would be very upset if Nynaeve died. He ofcourse said that if she died it wasn't Brandon's fault And I think he mentioned something that ofcourse some people would die in the Las Battle.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I'll pretend like you said Altara. There wasn't anything worth conquering there, except for Mat, and he doesn't count. So the question makes sense in that context.

There, I'm happy now.
That's good too

So WSB: what did you actually want to know Or did i even misread your question
And sorry I didn't ask your other questions

Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

btw: off to work now.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Youngling

jarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nice

I also was at the great meeting and dinner with Brandon. In the train back home I wrote down two pages with notes of all the things I could remember that Brandon has said. I will post this later with some pictures when I've got time to type it out.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

it was super-cool and to think I almost missed it.. well, I did miss the main event but not the afterparty, so to say.

Right, so on the trainride, there was talk of the prologues, Brandon said that in each of the prologues for the last 3 books there is one section that was fully written by RJ - in Gathering Storm it was the Farmer scene and in ToM it was the Borderlanders scene.

He said that the prologue will most probably be released ahead of time again (no big surprise there) and ideally he'd like for people to be able to buy the prologue and then get that much discount on the actual book, however that's difficult to manage with laws and regulations and such.

He also said that he's planning another Great Hunt before the release of the last book (and TL'ers start prepping now)

about writing, he said he writes linearly per character or character group and it later gets decided how it all gets woven together in the book

that's all I can remember right now before finishing my morning coffee. I'll write more later if anything comes to mind.

Also, welcome Jarno

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Last edited by yks 6nnetu hing; 06-01-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 AM
Dragonmount Admin

Luckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really niceLuckers is just really nice

The thing about the Black Ajah and Nynaeve's solidity and ability to channel effecively using the dream ter'angreal was interesting. Maria and I were chatting about this just after the book came out, and she also seemed to think there might be a more solid explanataion than that it was a mistake.

Ah here...

Quote:
I just haven't gotten around to doing the research yet. I think it is a valid question, and it may well be one of those aforementioned things that I missed, but I need to check a couple of things. I have roughly a month to get corrections in for the ebook, so when I work this one out, I'll let you know.
She never did get back to me, so I might follow up.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Youngling

jarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nicejarno87 is just really nice
Post Report: Pancakes and fries 2011, A meeting with Brandon

As Isabel already explained above we had a rare change to meet Brandon in Amsterdam. Brandon was really surprised that after tweeting around 2PM that 15 people turned up for dinner at 5PM.

I made some pictures with my phone, and those can be found here. I made some short movies with my phone. Furthermore Ashley posted more pictures including a group picture on facebook.

WoT/AMOL related points:
  • During the walk to the restaurant I asked if someone channels in Tel'aran'rhiod, he/she really channeled. Brandon confirmed this. He added that the real question would be of a non-channeler would be able to 'channel' in T'a'R. He believed that a non-channeler would not be able to channel, but would be able to create the same effects. So to most intents and purposes it would look as if they channeled.
  • Brandon made some nice remarks on prophecies.Knowing we wouldn't get anything specific he was asked about some general question.
    Someone asked whether the differences between the Seanchan prophecies and the Karatheon Cycle were completely intentional, or just from natural changes in telling a story for a thousand years from generation to generation. BS said it was a bit of both. He compared it with the story of Beowulf, how a scribe creating a new copy would change one line to make it more christian, or to make their interpretation more clear. This combined with some influence by the dark-one and his minions make it complicated. He added that it is not that one of the two is true and the other false. They might be on some thinks, on others both can be true even if it seems to be a contradiction. It's all in the interpretation of the prophecies which is a tricky business. He also remarked that the dark-friend also have their prophecies, foretellings and dreamers, whose predictions are just as valid as the ones from the light. Being dark prophecies doesn't invalidate them.
  • Someone asked about the plotlines that will not be resolved in AMOL, if Brandon could say something about how many that would be.
    Brandon explained that RJ left lots of information about the ending and exactly where everyone will end up. This included some direction about things not to resolved, which would annoy some fans (he mentioned Theoryland here). His estimate was that this is something like 5 till 10 % of the plot lines, and all minor ones (We will find out what happens to Rand). However he said that if you remembered what the outriggers would be about you should be able to fill in most of the blanks and unresolved plot lines.
  • Brandon noted that people will die in TG. We should not blaim
  • In the train to the airport we talked about the writing process. Brandon said that for him writing the Perrin POV's was relatively easy because he understands Perrin, and more importantly Perrin understands himself. Mat on the other hand is much harder, as he doesn't understand himself. Furthermore Mat thinks one thing, says a second and does a third. This makes it all really confusing and hard for Brandon to write. However BS said that especially in the later books by RJ, he finds Mat the best written character.

Some other points about scheduling and touring:
  • Brandon hoped to finish AMoL near the end of the year and turn it in for editing. Then Harriet get all the time she needs (probably 6 months) to edit the book. If we wouldn't have got him into Amsterdam he could have written a chapter while waiting at the airport. So sorry folks,that we caused a small delay.
  • The Great Hunt last fall was a great success. Brandon was really impressed by the chapter name guessing skills of the Theoryland. He is working on doing a new hunt this fall!!!!!!!!
  • Brandon really liked the reception in Amsterdam so he kind of promised that on his next European tour (guess 2013 or so) he would be doing a signing in Amsterdam. This is great news for the Dutch fans and many others close by.

This was all the thinks that I could remember, if any one has any remarks, please let me know so I can edit the list.
Brandon also talked about his own books, I'll post that in Brandon section of the forum.

EDIT: Info on Brandon's book is posted here

Last edited by jarno87; 06-01-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
During the walk to the restaurant I asked if someone channels in Tel'aran'rhiod, he/she really channeled. Brandon confirmed this. He added that the real question would be of a non-channeler would be able to 'channel' in T'a'R. He believed that a non-channeler would not be able to channel, but would be able to create the same effects. So to most intents and purposes it would look as if they channeled.
Which raises the obvious question: if Perrin bonded Egwene in TAR, would she still be bound to him when they woke up?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
That's good too

So WSB: what did you actually want to know Or did i even misread your question
And sorry I didn't ask your other questions
I wanted to know how Fain sensed the dagger when he was still in two rivers so that was about range.

Also was wondering why the seanchan did not invade ghealdan lol

No worries tho...thx for asking

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

LOL, fantastic We got all confused by your questions.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

So sad I couldn't make it. I got a text from Isa, but I work till 18:00...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I'll pretend like you said Altara. There wasn't anything worth conquering there, except for Mat, and he doesn't count.
Nope, nothing in Altara but a sea-port on the southern coast. And probably in a better shape than Ebou Dar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yks
it was super-cool and to think I almost missed it..
Yks, the link seems to be broken. It's asking me if I want to upload my pictures...

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset