art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Definitely possible. People are often talking of her, she inspires many people, and is hated by many she was born to save. Not to mention cities going nuts when she visits. (tanchico)
I thought Eggy only went there in a dream, if that? Elayne, Nynaeve, Thom, and Juilin all went, but Eggy was in the Aiel Waste at the time.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

You are absolutely right on that. I just typed that last sentence because it fit in with the thread theme. I added tanchico as an afterthought and didn't bother to correct it when I realized later. Joke reply to a joke post regarding a joke theory. Somehow I didn't feel too compelled to maintain factual accuracy.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Do zombies have memories? Tuatha'an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
From reading all of the threads currently active on the board, I am now convinced that Egwene is the Dragon Reborn.
"Zombie Sammael", anything to add about your prior attack upon a group of Tuatha'an?

See Lord of Chaos, Chapter 22 "Heading South" (Mat pov) for the aftereffects of that attack upon Tuatha'an, if you've forgotten already scene. Gotcha remember your a 'zombie'....

Why bring up this old attack upon a group of Tuatha'an now?

Ties to Valan Luca past doing, in Illian, where Lord Brend (Sammael) sent off 'The Great Hunt' for the Horn of Valere.

Valan has claimed he left before the send off and blessing was given (Nynaeve pov with Elayne, Birgitte). If Luca did not leave Illian early, he'd most likely have become a dead man with his then one time traveling partner.

Luca's a changed man after his Illian experience. He no longer chooses to travel with nor stays with Tuatha'an since that point in time. Though he does later meet and has an disagreement with group Tuatha'an at Stedding Tsofu--with Raen, Ila, Aram's group--which Erith mentions.

What is one reason Luca left to leave Illian early?

To search out Tree Songs from the two known Ogier Treesingers at Stedding Tsofu. Who is known to have told Luca? Ogier from Loial's Stedding, years prior.

Additionally the Green Man in known to be in the same general direction, as Stedding Tsofu and Tar Valon, for a traveler who's beginning point is in Illian. All places Luca is known to have mentioned direct knowledge of, or other individuals mentioned his past through.

Who is the Fisher, in the game of sha'rah?

Not Rand al'Thor...

For convenience sake, he's that LoC "Heading South" chapter chunk of text:

Quote:
Sitting his dun in front of Mat on that hilltop, Vanin looked disturbed. He approved of Mat not wanting to be called “my Lord,” since he did much like bowing to anyone, but he managed to knuckle his forehead casually in a rough sort of salute. “I think you got to see this. I don’t know what to make of it myself. You got to look for yourself.”

“Wait here,” Mat told the others, and to Vanin, “Show me.”

It was not a long ride, just over the next two hills and up a winding stream with wide borders of dried mud. The smell announced what Vanin wanted him to see before the first vultures waddled into the air. The others just flapped a few paces before settling again, darting featherless heads and squawking challenges. Worst were those that never looked up from their dinners, milling piles of stained black feathers.

An overturned wagon like a little house on wheels, virulently painted in green and blue and yellow, identified the scene as a Tinker caravan, but few of the wagons had escaped burning. Bodies lay everywhere in bright clothes torn and darkened with dried blood, men and women and children. A part of Mat analyzed it coldly; the rest of him wanted to vomit, or run, anything but sit there on Pips. The attackers had come from the west first. Most of the men and older boys lay there, mingled with what was left of a number of large dogs, as if they had tried to form a line, to hold back killers with their bodies while the women and children ran. A futile flight. Heaped corpses showed where they had run headlong into the second attack. Only the vultures moved now.

Vanin spat disgustedly through a gap in his teeth. “You chase them off before they steal too much—they’ll snap up children if you don’t look sharp; raise them as their own—maybe you add a kick to speed them, but you don’t do this. Who would?”

“I don’t know. Brigands.” The horses were all gone. But brigands wanted to steal, not kill, and no Tinker would resist if you stole his last penny and his coat to boot. Mat forced his hands to ease their grip on his reins. There was nowhere to look without seeing a dead woman, a dead child. Whoever did this had not wanted any survivors. He rode a slow circuit around the site, trying to ignore the vultures that hissed and flared their wings when he passed—the ground was too dry to hold tracks well, although he thought horses had gone in several directions—and came back to Vanin. “You could have told me about it. I don’t need to see.” Light, but I don’t!

“I could’ve told you there was no good tracks,” Vanin said, turning his horse to wade the shallow stream. “Maybe you need to see this.”

Fire had taken most of the wagon lying on its side, but the wagon bed survived, propped on yellow wheels with red spokes. A man in a coat that still showed a little eye-wrenching blue lay hard against it, one sprawled hand black with blood. What he had written in shaky letters stood out darker than the wood of the wagon bottom.

TELL THE DRAGON REBORN

Tell him what? Mat thought. That somebody had killed a whole caravan of Tinkers? Or had the man died before he could write whatever it was? It would not have been the first time Tinkers had come onto important information. In a story he would have lived just long enough to scrawl the vital bit that meant victory. Well, whatever the message, nobody was ever going to know a word more now.

“You were right, Vanin.” Mat hesitated. Tell the Dragon Reborn what? No reason to start any more rumors than they already had. “See the rest of this wagon burns before you leave. And if anybody asks, there was nothing here but a lot of dead men.” And women, and children.

Vanin nodded. “Filthy savages,” he muttered, and spat through his teeth again. “Could have been some of them, I suppose.”

That band of Aielmen had caught up, three or four hundred strong. They trotted down the slope and crossed the stream no more than fifty paces from the wagons. A number raised a hand in greeting; Mat did not recognize them, but a good many Aiel had heard of Rand al’Thor’s friend, he who wore the hat and whom it was better not to gamble against. Across the stream and up the next slope, and all those bodies might as well not have existed.

Bloody Aiel, Mat thought. He knew that Aiel avoided Tinkers, ignored them, if not why, but this . . . “I don’t think so,” he said. “See it burns, Vanin.”

Talmanes and the other two were right where he had left them, of course. When Mat told them what lay ahead, and that burial parties had to be told off, they nodded grimly, Daerid muttering a disbelieving, “Tinkers?”

Lord of Chaos, Chapter 22 "Heading South" -- Mat Cauthon point of view, with Chel Vanin & Pips (horse)

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 06-19-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Surprising what you can dig out of books if to read long enough, isn't it?
-TSR

"The area’s been hunted clean, if you were hoping to find some game. There’s nothing back there of use.” “I wouldn’t say that,” the stranger said, glancing over his shoulder. “There are always things of use around, if you look closely enough. You can’t stare at them too long. To learn but not be overwhelmed, that is the balance.”
-ToM

Maybe keep the second in mind as well as the first. Certainly about the area being hunted clean and not staring too long. Of course there are still a few rabbits, and stare forever if it will fetch you a cow, but maybe keep it in mind nonetheless.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of
Default LoC "Heading South" Quote

It struck me, as I read that quote so graciously provided by FelixPax that I wonder if it's possible that the attack on the Tuatha'an here may have been done by the red-veiled Aiel we see at the end of ToM. Particularly the specific mention by Vanin that it may have been Aiel that had done it (as I hope we all know RJ loved to do; that is - have a character say something offhandedly that is dismissed immediately by the others/readers entirely, but turns out to be true). Of course, the ones Mat saw weren't the culprits.

Oh, and TheUnreasoner - Kudos on pulling that one out.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 AM
Elder

Haha thanks. I just was reading Felix's sig for the umpteenth time and thought it represented a very telling mindset.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collective View Post
It struck me, as I read that quote so graciously provided by FelixPax that I wonder if it's possible that the attack on the Tuatha'an here may have been done by the red-veiled Aiel we see at the end of ToM.
It's possible, but hardly necessary. Any Darkfriend Aiel would work fine.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Elder

Or Niall's dragonsworn, or almost anyone.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Youngling

the_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud ofthe_collective has much to be proud of

Both valid points. I'm gonna keep an eye out for further hints, because I'm really curious now... The key question is why the Tuatha'an (or this particular band, at least)?

Idle wondering; not intended to jack the thread topic...
Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Elder

There is hardly a thread to jack, and Felix himself seemed to deem this kosher. I think a large part of the answer lies in knowing who wrote it. If the killers did, it might be a crime of opportunity.

Tags
doubt, dragon, false, prophecies, riddle