art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 06-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default TEOTW: Chapter 14 - Dream?

So, we've discussed this in other threads, the variety of dream types we experience early on in the series. Since this book we've learned a lot about Tel'aran'rhiod, Testing Ter'angreal, Mirror Worlds, Dreamwalkers, Dreaming, Dream Bubbles, the GOI, etc. And I'm starting to look at this dream a little bit differently mainly because of how Rand has difficult leaving and thinking and how much control Ishamael seems to have.

I'm posing the possibility that Ishamael knows how to create the "Testing Ter'angreal-esque" worlds which the Testing Ter'angreal either connect to or create and bring people into them where he can control the environment and the inhabitants in ways much different than simple dreams or even the new concepts of nightmares that we've been introduced to.

Here are some samples, but I recommend reading the dream in its entirety before commenting.

Quote:
TITLE: Eye of the World
CHAPTER: 14 - The Stag and Lion
"Is it a dream?" the man said. "Does it matter?" Once again, for a moment, his mouth and eyes became peepholes into a furnace that Seemed to stretch forever. His voice did not change; he did not seem to notice it happening at all.
Quote:
"This is a dream," he said as he straightened. Behind him he heard the click of the door closing. "It's some kind of nightmare." He shut his eyes, thinking about waking up. When he was a child the Wisdom had said if you could do that in a nightmare, it would go away. The . . . Wisdom? What? If only his thoughts would stop sliding away. If only his head would stop hurting, then he could think straight.
Quote:
"I don't know..." Rand swung his head from side to side. That one moment of clear thinking, born in anger, was gone. Even as he groped for it again he could not remember how he had reached it the first time. His thoughts spun around and around. He seized one like a raft in the whirlpool. He forced the words out, his voice strengthening the further he went. "You...are bound...in Shayol Ghul. You and all the Forsaken...bound by the Creator until the end of time."
Quote:
"No," Rand muttered, "this is a dream. It is a dream!" "Do you think you are safe from me in your dreams? Look!" Ba'alzamon pointed commandingly, and Rand's head turned to follow, although he did not turn it; he did not want to turn.