art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Nitpick: it has been questioned and discussed. On Theoryland, a board dedicated to discussing this series. The result of the discussion was, as far as I can remember: "no clue, insufficient data".
I was more speaking of a detailed list of the colors and the ter'angreal, more so than it hadn't ever been mentioned...but if you have the link to previous discussions on this exact topic, share! (I hate the search feature on both of our boards...stupid forum search)
Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this too obvious?

I threw up some questions.

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/07...sanderson.html

We'll see.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha. I think the relative lengths of the comments alone will give away our friend Dusty's affiliation. The subject matter may be enough for Brandon to narrow it down to you.

Are you arguing that the "mirror world" where Rand met Selene isn't a mirror at all, but just more 'constructed space'? I seem to remember the Ways being able to sustain life (fruit trees, not sure if those fruit trees provided real sustenance or were just evanescently tasty).

If that is the case, the colors have a simple cause for their existence: Lanfear wants him to distrust the Tower, having him associate Aes Sedai with such an unpleasant episode couldn't hurt.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Lord of the Board

Default I would venture a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Hahaha. I think the relative lengths of the comments alone will give away our friend Dusty's affiliation. The subject matter may be enough for Brandon to narrow it down to you.
That the type of quest...and the name "Dusty" will cement it for him, but it's fun to play anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Are you arguing that the "mirror world" where Rand met Selene isn't a mirror at all, but just more 'constructed space'? I seem to remember the Ways being able to sustain life (fruit trees, not sure if those fruit trees provided real sustenance or were just evanescently tasty).
No - I think I was pointing out that it wasn't a particular Mirror World that inspired the construction of the Ways, but the research of how certain Lines of Travel enable one to skip ahead in time as related to the Real World and that these Lines touch all layers of Reality and even exist outside the Pattern in the Void. And that this is how Skimming, in essence, works in the Void. As an aside I was pointing out that the Ways certainly seem to share a bunch of similarities with the Void/Skimming Space, but that their Constructed Space is the difference, as in, they are contained within, that I guess could, from a "Matter" perspective be tied to research into the type of Matter that makes up Mirror Worlds in order for such Matter to be grown into new pathways, bridges, ramps, branches, etc. Although, honestly, hadn't considered that last part until just now, but I like it and I'm running with it, a thought in part due to your question about what I was(n't) thinking. Hah.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
No - I think I was pointing out that it wasn't a particular Mirror World that inspired the construction of the Ways, but the research of how certain Lines of Travel enable one to skip ahead in time as related to the Real World and that these Lines touch all layers of Reality and even exist outside the Pattern in the Void. And that this is how Skimming, in essence, works in the Void. As an aside I was pointing out that the Ways certainly seem to share a bunch of similarities with the Void/Skimming Space, but that their Constructed Space is the difference, as in, they are contained within, that I guess could, from a "Matter" perspective be tied to research into the type of Matter that makes up Mirror Worlds in order for such Matter to be grown into new pathways, bridges, ramps, branches, etc. Although, honestly, hadn't considered that last part until just now, but I like it and I'm running with it, a thought in part due to your question about what I was(n't) thinking. Hah.
hmm, I believe that he most significant difference between Skimming and the Ways is that Skimming cannot be done by a non-channeler (not even with a ter'anglear. That we know of) but Ways can be grown by a non-channeler. Non-channelers can use both, but for Skimming they need to have a channeler present, for the Ways not at all. That would imply that the mechanisms as well as spaces for each are separate. Of course, the structure of the Ways is in nature permanent while Skimming is temporary, whatever is created while skimming dissolves as soon as channeling at the matter stops.

So. Is it the dimension in which the Ways exist that allows permanent and growing structures or is it the way (hah. I made a pun!) the structures are made that keeps them permanent? They are grown with a ter'anglear, so could be either. or both.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

I've reached TSR in my re-read and just came across this quote:

Quote:
TITLE: Shadow Rising
CHAPTER: 6 - Doorways
They were strange things, ter'angreal, fragments of the Age of Legends like angreal and sa'angreal, if more numerous. ter'angreal used the One Power instead of magnifying it. Each had apparently been made to do one thing and one thing alone, but though some were used now, no one was sure if those uses were anything like what they had been made for. The Oath Rod, on which a woman took the Three Oaths on being raised Aes Sedai, was a ter'angreal that made those oaths a part of her flesh and bone. The last test a novice took on being raised to Accepted was inside another ter'angreal that ferreted out her most heartfelt fears and made them seem real-or perhaps took her to a place where they were real. Odd things could happen with ter'angreal. Aes Sedai had been burned out or killed, or had simply vanished, in studying them. And in using them.
Not sure if it adds much to the actual discussion we're having now but it is an interesting tidbit. Obviously the test to full AS is generated by the minds of the testers, but for the Accepted's test it's often repeated that the way back comes but once and there are people who've stayed lost. I find it interesting that if that's what it does, the ter'angreal is not linked to any one particular Mirror World but the one representing the user's biggest fears. Past, present and future.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting quote from the KoD book tour...
Quote:
Q: Can the Tower of Ghenjei be reached through any of the Portal Stones?
RJ: No.
An unusual question, and a more unusual answer.

In what sense did the asker mean "reached through"? If I were to start my journey in Cairhien, and I used a Portal Stone to get to the Portal Stone nearest to the Tower to shorten my journey, I would consider that 'reaching' the Tower, provided the Stone isn't unreasonably far from the Tower. Is RJ's answer intended to mean that there isn't a Stone at the base of the Tower? None for miles around?

If RJ considers traveling by mirror world also a function of the Stones, the answer may be indicate that the Tower cannot even be reached in a mirror. Perhaps the Tower isn't mirrored, or isn't functional in mirrors, or only one can function at a time.

In what sense did the asker mean "reached"? How did RJ hear it? Did RJ mean the base of the Tower, or inside? A Stone existing in a reasonable proximity would seem to indicate RJ meant 'inside' the Tower.

Is this answer a sort of reiteration that the Stones are for mirror worlds only? Or does it speak more to the nature of the Tower of Ghenjei, and its possible lack of mirrors?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

If the tower and the stones are both perpendicular to reality, which would make sense if they allow access to other realities, then there's a decent possibility they're parallel to each other and would not intersect, although that question left some ambiguity as to whether it was asking about a Portal Stone route to *finnland or about mirror-world reflections of the Tower of Ghenji.

Tags
'finns, portal stones, t'a'r