art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (3): nbogenrose, lschullarma, tfyhughtiffany,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

Just a few points. First the Aes Sedai in pre consolidation Seanchan were not Dreadlords, or at least I have not seen any suggestion that most of them were. Its likely that some served the Shadow but one can be evil without being a darkfriend. Just look at the Whitecloaks or even some of the non dark Aes Sedai of the White Tower.

Secondly I was not suggesting that non Seanchan channelers swear an oath to serve the Empress, just those in captured territory. So Rand Egwene, Logain etc would be outside their jurisdiction unless the land they lived in joine the Seanchan empire or was captured.

Lastly the Seanchan seem to have a legal system. I've not seen any Seanchan lawyers but there is reference to guilt having to be proven etc. Instead of swearing to serve the empress who could turn out to be a tyrant how about searing to uphold the law. This does leave the problem that the law can be changed by the Empress who is an absolute ruler but I would suspect change will have to come one step at a time with a constitutional monarch comming later.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Youngling

Charlz Guybon has a spectacular aura aboutCharlz Guybon has a spectacular aura aboutCharlz Guybon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Although zen-Rand bowing is probably more likely at this point, there is a lot more drama and conflict involved in the revelation that the Seanchan have been manipulated by Ishamael. Why, such a revelation could cause them to question their entire culture in much the same way as the Aiel were forced to. Such a revelation might force re-examination of even long-standing institutions to do with the One Power, for example....
How would this be exposed though? Moridin isn't likely to pop up and shot "it was me and here's the proof!" What could Rand do to prove it? Aside from what Moridin's told him he doesn't know much. Hell, he doesn't know anything but the vaguest outline of Seanchan history.

He has Justice, but what's he supposed to do with that?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Youngling

JOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Just a few points. First the Aes Sedai in pre consolidation Seanchan were not Dreadlords, or at least I have not seen any suggestion that most of them were. Its likely that some served the Shadow but one can be evil without being a darkfriend. Just look at the Whitecloaks or even some of the non dark Aes Sedai of the White Tower.
Quote:
From TGH, Damane (Chapter 40)
"When Luthair Paendrag Mondwin, son of the Hawkwing, first faced the Armies of the Night, he found many among them who called themselves Aes Sedai. They contended for power among themselves and used the One Power on the field of battle. One such, a woman named Deain, who thought she could do better serving the Emperor - he was not Emperor then, of course - since he had no Aes Sedai in his armies, came to him with a device she had made..."
Quote:
Secondly I was not suggesting that non Seanchan channelers swear an oath to serve the Empress, just those in captured territory. So Rand Egwene, Logain etc would be outside their jurisdiction unless the land they lived in joine the Seanchan empire or was captured.
I think this is reasonable. I was thinking the whole bananna, world government, one Emipire! But this is more reasonable.

Quote:
Lastly the Seanchan seem to have a legal system. I've not seen any Seanchan lawyers but there is reference to guilt having to be proven etc. Instead of swearing to serve the empress who could turn out to be a tyrant how about searing to uphold the law. This does leave the problem that the law can be changed by the Empress who is an absolute ruler but I would suspect change will have to come one step at a time with a constitutional monarch comming later.
Swearing to serve the law, I like that, has problems, as you pointed out, but it could work.
One thing was sure. He was not what anyone thought. Those who believed they knew him were badly mistaken. He was transfigured, now. A force unto himself, and beyond any other power. They would all learn, eventually.

Tags
character of the week, fortuona