art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/2010 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Youngling

confused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of light

stoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

what did you smoke it in?

sanity is a cop out

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan
Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused at birth View Post
stoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

what did you smoke it in?
Tin foil and a teeny tiny straw.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Youngling

confused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of lightconfused at birth is a glorious beacon of light

a straw filled with home grown happiness?

sanity is a cop out

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan
Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
Just a piece of advice. I love to take an injector and fill all the fatty areas with cranberry juice
I remembered the cranberry juice advice from earlier in the thread, but I never considered 'where' to inject it. My instinct would have been the muscle, not the fat. But I guess pork fat is much lighter than cow fat, so I could essentially turn the whole butt into a semi self-basting/marinating marvel.

What would you think about a mix of 3 parts cranberry juice to one part red wine vinegar?
Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 PM

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
I remembered the cranberry juice advice from earlier in the thread, but I never considered 'where' to inject it. My instinct would have been the muscle, not the fat. But I guess pork fat is much lighter than cow fat, so I could essentially turn the whole butt into a semi self-basting/marinating marvel.

What would you think about a mix of 3 parts cranberry juice to one part red wine vinegar?
I use straight up cranberry juice. I guess you could mix it if you want, but the only thing I mix it with is a little water and I don't usually do that. You might think it would make it sweet but it doesn't. It just adds flavor to it.

You can put some in the muscle if you want (it's going to go there anyway when you start jabbing it because its hard to tell sometimes where its going.

Here's what I baste with:

1/2 cup water (or some type of juice, depending on your taste)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar ( i guess red wine would be fine, i've never used it for this though)
3 tablespoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon white pepper

Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Forgot to add that you need to baste it or mop it as the cool people say, about every hour and a half to two hours. There's tons of good resources online to help you too.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I use straight up cranberry juice. I guess you could mix it if you want, but the only thing I mix it with is a little water and I don't usually do that. You might think it would make it sweet but it doesn't. It just adds flavor to it.
So, cranberry juice or cranberry juice cocktail? (After looking at your recommended basting combo, I realized vinegar here may not play.)

Quote:
Here's what I baste with:

1/2 cup water (or some type of juice, depending on your taste)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar ( i guess red wine would be fine, i've never used it for this though)
3 tablespoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon white pepper
Aha. It's a different flavor profile than I expected. In this case, I don't think red wine vinegar would work, it wouldn't play well with the mustard and white pepper. White pepper. Love white pepper.

The cider vinegar sounds good. My gut is telling me 'more cayenne', but I should probably settle on a rub first.

I'm also wondering if, when I get a handle on things, I could try injecting it with something like coffee. I'd have to figure out a completely different profile though.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Elder

Quote:
Forgot to add that you need to baste it or mop it as the cool people say, about every hour and a half to two hours.
Gotcha.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 PM

I've tried all kinds of things, beer, wine, several juices, mustard, BBQ sauce, I've even made a stock with cayenne, rosemary, sage and garlic and used it on a turkey, but I never tried coffee. It might be interesting though.

Me and white pepper...we got a thing, y'know?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Coffee is excellent on steaks and other cuts of beef.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Coffee is excellent on steaks and other cuts of beef.
Yeah, but I'm not sure how good it would be if you were smoking the meat. It would depend on how the coffee handled the smoking. That's the part I'm not sure about. Smoked coffee sounds intriguing, but nasty at the same time.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 AM
Elder

I was thinking along the lines of bacon and and coffee. And coffee has tons of savory applications.

But I've seen some info with the following flavor profile
Pork
Coffee
Mustard
Ginger
Garlic
Black Pepper (a LOT)
Very small amounts of cloves and anise
Some kind of vinegar, I'm unsure which yet.
(Some stuff I've seen suggests chocolate, cinnamon, and chipotle, but I'm not feeling it)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, but I'm not sure how good it would be if you were smoking the meat. It would depend on how the coffee handled the smoking. That's the part I'm not sure about. Smoked coffee sounds intriguing, but nasty at the same time.
I dont know either...I doubt it would be all that tasty.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Elder

Quote:
I'm thinking something along the lines of smoked bacon and coffee.

One reason my index had nothing but a basic profile is, it turns out, I only have two injected marinades defined. One is a reduced mushroom and chicken stock with a little distilled vinegar intended for chicken breast (my own creation, it stops the breast from getting too dry), and the other is your cranberry juice.

But, a quick search on the web shows some coffee dry rubs, almost all for beef.

However:
I found some smoking forums, and one guy actually did smoked pork butt with a coffee rub.

There are more pictures on the thread.

The guy bought a pre-made rub though, so no help there. But in another thread, there are a few.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
I'm thinking something along the lines of smoked bacon and coffee.

One reason my index had nothing but a basic profile is, it turns out, I only have two injected marinades defined. One is a reduced mushroom and chicken stock with a little distilled vinegar intended for chicken breast (my own creation, it stops the breast from getting too dry), and the other is your cranberry juice.

But, a quick search on the web shows some coffee dry rubs, almost all for beef.

However:
I found some smoking forums, and one guy actually did smoked pork butt with a coffee rub.

There are more pictures on the thread.

The guy bought a pre-made rub though, so no help there. But in another thread, there are a few.
I think I'll pass. I just don't think it would taste good. Maybe if someone else did it and I could try it, but I won't be doing it on my own.

Dude needs to clean his smoker, btw...

Old 08-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Yeah, nasty.

Ribfest is this weekend - am sooooo excited for my pulled pork and chicken from Camp 31! Wahooo!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper

Tags
comida, cuisine, favorites, food, recipes