art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): yeazeyedis,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 09-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
Ok, so I'll ask again, what does this have to do with topic? Its a great way to change the topic i believe, but you weren't tryiong to do that were you?
On the one hand, Rand did not have the experience to truly judge what limitations there were in regard to the amount of TP he could draw. It was a lot, and the euphoria associated with it distorted his perception of precisely how much it was.
On the other hand, it seems clear that with the CK, he could also draw a lot of power, but not a very clear maximum (as would have been the case with a more conventional sa'angreal).

So in both cases, the amount of power he could maximally draw would have to be described as "lots", which makes comparing which is bigger a rather difficult exercise from his viewpoint. Especially given the fact that he did not dare experiment with either.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
On the one hand, Rand did not have the experience to truly judge what limitations there were in regard to the amount of TP he could draw.

How do you know when you've overdrawn? By experience of course, you get burned out! (Sorry, hadta!)

Quote:
It was a lot, and the euphoria associated with it distorted his perception of precisely how much it was.

The euphoria wasn't that much in evidence in the scene I remember, but I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
On the other hand, it seems clear that with the CK, he could also draw a lot of power, but not a very clear maximum (as would have been the case with a more conventional sa'angreal).
He did mention he couldn't draw more than he was doing with the CK in the cleansing. He seems to know his limit with regard to the OP quantity wise. But while Nyn showed signs of ectasy, he apparently didn't feel anything. At least nothing that I recall from his pov.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that will definitely (at the very least) irritate me is Rand and Moridin merging into some kind of Slayer like entity, and if the last battle is won by Fain killing Superslayer. Some sort of force outside the pattern destroying the living union of the conduits of the shadow and the light.

Also, if Rand and Moridin goes down like Neo and Agent Smith, I'll [redacted].
Old 09-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
One thing that will definitely (at the very least) irritate me is Rand and Moridin merging into some kind of Slayer like entity, and if the last battle is won by Fain killing Superslayer. Some sort of force outside the pattern destroying the living union of the conduits of the shadow and the light.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the whole merging thing, outside of DBZ anyways , and that would be one of the big things that would cause me to throw my book at the wall.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of
Default Oh!

I just thought of another one!
A lovey-dovey scene between Mat and Tuon.
By lovey-dovey I mean one with lots of pink hearts (think Nyn with Lan) instead of one that's a bit more representative of their true selves.

Also (this one slightly joking): finding out that baths don't have ta'veren powers.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
I just thought of another one!
A lovey-dovey scene between Mat and Tuon.
By lovey-dovey I mean one with lots of pink hearts (think Nyn with Lan) instead of one that's a bit more representative of their true selves.

Also (this one slightly joking): finding out that baths don't have ta'veren powers.
Wow. Never thought of that before. But I agree, Mat and Tuon's relationship is not the "lovey-dovey" kind. Even if Tuon comes to actually love Mat, I really don't see their relationship changing too much.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Tuon might do it in an attempt to keep Mat on edge. Would work, too.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Yeah, I've never been a fan of the whole merging thing...
Really? I've always been quite fond of a bit of "merging". Of course, thats not what we call it round here...

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Really? I've always been quite fond of a bit of "merging". Of course, thats not what we call it round here...
That's called "comforting". I suspect Terez would be quite happy if Rand and Moridin did that. I don't think she believes it will happen, though.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
I lol'd.

But still, the actual theory of Rand and Moridin merging into one body or whatever, is FAR from my favorite theory.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of
Angry

Oh, and not seeing any more of Verin's stock of notebooks.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Elder

Cool

Re Rand-Ishydin "merging" (hurr, hurr) - I have been resigned since LoC to not seeing any male... pillow-friends.
Although would they still be called pillow-friends?

...my mind has shot into a gutter.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
...my mind has shot into a gutter.
According to some, in TEOTW, when they couldn't afford any pillows, Mat and Rand were gutter-friends.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Elder

Quote:
According to some, in TEOTW, when they couldn't afford any pillows, Mat and Rand were gutter-friends.
Ooh, I had forgotten that stint.
(I am deliberately not saying any more in this comment.)
Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ooh, I had forgotten that stint.
(I am deliberately not saying any more in this comment.)
That joke is almost as old as the books themselves. Ruby tipped dagger, ha ha ha etc more forced laughter.

Anyway, gay character meant to be showing up in next book. Lot of people think it may be androl. To some, it's a big deal...

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Elder

AbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner
Well, Rand is certainly Neo but Moridin is not Agent Smith. Fain is Smith. Moridin is the Merovingian. He serves the Dark One (the machine mainframe, or Deux ex Machina) but on his own terms and with his own private motivations, while Neo/Rand was created to help continue the cycle/wheel. They're all part of the creator/architect's system of control except for Fain/Smith who, well, isn't.

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I ever met."
Abraham Lincoln

Draw a crazy picture, write a nutty poem. Sing a mumble-gumble song, whistle through your comb. Do a loony-goony dance 'cross the kitchen floor. Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Last edited by AbbeyRoad; 09-07-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyRoad View Post
Well, Rand is certainly Neo but Moridin is not Agent Smith. Fain is Smith. Moridin is the Merovingian. He serves the Dark One (the machine mainframe, or Deux ex Machina) but on his own terms and with his own private motivations, while Neo/Rand was created to help continue the cycle/wheel. They're all part of the creator/architect's system of control except for Fain/Smith who, well, isn't.
Youngling rep. If we're still doing that.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyRoad View Post
I meant more along the lines of "Rand wins by merging with Moridin." And otherwise, it's not really one to one. Rand is Neo insofar as he is the Chosen One, has superpowers, is reborn cyclically, is the good guy, etc...but Moridin is the Merovingian only in the sense that he is a primary villain with free will of the established evil. The Matrix and the rebel city are set up to perpetually repeat a cycle of events. The 'one' was usually content to maintain the (apparently evil) status quo, and both sides would generally be fairly content. In WoT, Moridin is the one craving freedom from the cycle. Smith being Fain works for me though. I have no idea what either of their endgames are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Youngling rep. If we're still doing that.
Of course we are. And it's not really my thing, you could update the records and give me a copy for my sig.

Tags
amol, dragon, jordan, rafo, sanderson