art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)


Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 PM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,818
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

1. But Egwene now has a list of specific AS sworn to the Shadow. She knows that some of those are reputedly serving Rand. She could have told him about them.
She could have offered to send a squad along with him to arrest them. Instead she lets them continue serving the DO in whatever way they see fit.

2. It was a run on sentence. My point is that Egwene is questioning Rand's fitness to fight the DO based on nothing more than her unwillingness to believe that he actually could do the job.

3. Evidence that she never was in a position in which she could tell him anything, nor could ever have passed on any information to him.
Since they met, that's a rather impossible standard to meet.

4. My point here is that saying "the BA are a WT affair, no one else should get involved" is ludicrous.
Lots of others are involved, often simply because they have been tortured or killed (or both) by BA members. It would be like the Italian American community telling the FBI to stop bothering the Maffia, as that was an Italian issue, and thus not something the Federal government should interfere in.

5. Here, the following two quotes from you are what I was responding two:
Quote:
Also, she has legitimate reasons for not revealing this information about who is in the Black Ajah, since its source was confidential and it is an internal White Tower issue.
Quote:
Because talking about the Black Ajah (which IIRC Rand has never gotten involved in hunting or dealing with) would lead to other plots not appearing in this book.
You suggest that Egwene would believe that the BA is an internal WT issue, with no repercussions at all for anyone outside the WT, and that the DR has not had any dealings with the BA.
Neither point is convincing, I think you'll agree. Yet I do think that I've reasonably fairly restated your claims.
So I hope that you understand why I do not think that Egwene has any good reason to keep the BA secret, and specificially that she does not have any good reason to keep the BA members close to Rand secret from him.

The fact that she did keep them secret is not a surprise to me; it is very consistent with her behavior in the rest of the series.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM
WinespringBrother's Avatar
WinespringBrother WinespringBrother is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,889
WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
1. But Egwene now has a list of specific AS sworn to the Shadow. She knows that some of those are reputedly serving Rand. She could have told him about them.
She could have offered to send a squad along with him to arrest them. Instead she lets them continue serving the DO in whatever way they see fit.

2. It was a run on sentence. My point is that Egwene is questioning Rand's fitness to fight the DO based on nothing more than her unwillingness to believe that he actually could do the job.

3. Evidence that she never was in a position in which she could tell him anything, nor could ever have passed on any information to him.
Since they met, that's a rather impossible standard to meet.

4. My point here is that saying "the BA are a WT affair, no one else should get involved" is ludicrous.
Lots of others are involved, often simply because they have been tortured or killed (or both) by BA members. It would be like the Italian American community telling the FBI to stop bothering the Maffia, as that was an Italian issue, and thus not something the Federal government should interfere in.

5. Here, the following two quotes from you are what I was responding two:

You suggest that Egwene would believe that the BA is an internal WT issue, with no repercussions at all for anyone outside the WT, and that the DR has not had any dealings with the BA.
Neither point is convincing, I think you'll agree. Yet I do think that I've reasonably fairly restated your claims.
So I hope that you understand why I do not think that Egwene has any good reason to keep the BA secret, and specificially that she does not have any good reason to keep the BA members close to Rand secret from him.

The fact that she did keep them secret is not a surprise to me; it is very consistent with her behavior in the rest of the series.
1. There is a BIG timing problem with that. Rand showed up 3 days after the Black Ajah outing party, so any sisters still in Rand's party would have heard the news and run for the hills. As for any in Aiel custody still somehow, they would likely be dealt with. There is the possibility of some falling through the cracks, but don't forget, Egwene would be assuming by this time that all the darkfriend sisters would have used common sense and fled. Besides, Egwene could find the last known location of the Aes Sedai in Rand's party from their Aiel babysitters, and go behind Rand's back to deal with them, no need to get Rand involved at all (if she thought it would do any good).

2. Egwene's opinion of Rand's fitness (in all honesty it was horrible until his awakening at DM) deserves its own thread, but has no real bearing on oath-free Aes Sedai running loose.

3. Whether she could possibly communicate with Rand is not the issue. I only said that Egwene didn't know how to contact Rand, since he was moving around (the readers don't even know where Rand was for long stretches of TofM, hopefully that info will be revealed in AMOL) - that's a long way from claiming that it was impossible to contact him. And Egwene isn't omniscient to be able to conjure a way to easily communicate with someone who doesn't even stay near his own allies/protectors all the time. I suppose it's possible that Egwene could invade people dreams until she finds someone in Rand's vicinity to be her messenger but thats a bit ludicrous. See point 1 for an alternate means for Egwene to deal with this. And I've listed in my previous posts reasons why she wouldn't disclose fully, whether those reasons are justifiable or not.

4. Did you miss the "tongue-in-cheek" commentary? Besides, how are you comparing Rand to the FBI? I could see Egwene as the (God)Mother though =) And the White Tower does see itself as the ultimate authority in the land so them wanting to dispense justice to their own initiates should not come as a shock. I'm sure Rand is happy to let them deal with it, with everything he already has on his plate.

5. I said what Egwene believes that the Black Ajah is an internal issue to the White Tower to resolve. I can't understand how you interpret that to mean anything like Egwene believing there are no repercussions outside the WT or that the Dragon Reborn had not had dealings with the Black Ajah. Of course neither point is convincing, I am not trying to make either point. And I would say that you have not reasonably restated my claims. If you want to refute my point, then show me someone who could reliably apprehend or kill rogue darkfriend channelers besides other channelers. If you say the Black Tower, I will laugh, since many of them like as not will side with the renegade sisters. Which brings me to another point, how would Rand be a good choice to hunt down darkfriend Black Ajah, when his own (Black Tower) house is in disarray/infected with darkfriends?
__________________
Mera'Daghain M'hael

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-08-2011, 04:20 AM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,818
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Rand would not bother with trying to hunt BA members, true.

But with Rand running around who knows where (as you point out, it's unclear where he goes or what he does there) he could very easily accidentally run into some BA members. That's what ta'veren is all about: making the unlikely happen all the time. If he had a list then at least he could find out that they were not trustworthy before turning his back on them to walk on.

As for the channelers who could help hunt down the BA: apart from the BT, there are also the WOs (who might or might not cooperate with Egwene if she doesn't tell them what it is about) and the Windfinders (who almost certainly have not heard from Egwene precisely who is on the BA list).

Finally there is the possibility that Rand would have said "tricky problem, I don't have any good suggestions right now, I know that you will do whatever is possible". In that case, Egwene would have been no worse off than she is now, but she would have given Rand some reason to actually consider her anything other than merely someone who is only looking out for the narrow interests of the AS only.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM
WinespringBrother's Avatar
WinespringBrother WinespringBrother is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,889
WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Rand would not bother with trying to hunt BA members, true.

But with Rand running around who knows where (as you point out, it's unclear where he goes or what he does there) he could very easily accidentally run into some BA members. That's what ta'veren is all about: making the unlikely happen all the time. If he had a list then at least he could find out that they were not trustworthy before turning his back on them to walk on.

As for the channelers who could help hunt down the BA: apart from the BT, there are also the WOs (who might or might not cooperate with Egwene if she doesn't tell them what it is about) and the Windfinders (who almost certainly have not heard from Egwene precisely who is on the BA list).

Finally there is the possibility that Rand would have said "tricky problem, I don't have any good suggestions right now, I know that you will do whatever is possible". In that case, Egwene would have been no worse off than she is now, but she would have given Rand some reason to actually consider her anything other than merely someone who is only looking out for the narrow interests of the AS only.
Somehow I get the feeling that even if Rand had all the names/descriptions of the stray Black Ajah, that he might not recognize one to see them, since they know they are hunted and they will presumably know how to disguise themselves.

I'm glad that you agree that Egwene would be better off telling the Wise Ones instead of bothering Rand about this (besides, it's not like the Wise Ones are going to take orders from Rand anyway). They probably aren't suited to hunting Black Ajah but they can certainly secure the ones already in their custody (if they are still around-I think I will see if I can ask Brandon what happened to them). I can't see the Atha'an Miere taking a part in hunting shorebound darkfriends though.

As for Rand's pat on the back for Egwene, I think Eggy is confident enough without it. Maybe it would have changed Rand's attitude but even if it did, given their recent history, it's probably too little, too late and thus not even worth the effort.
__________________
Mera'Daghain M'hael

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 PM
FelixPax's Avatar
FelixPax FelixPax is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,612
FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Aes Sedai-Wise Ones: Women Between Two Worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
And of course, later in the book he succeeds with both Sashalle and Ronaille, too.

Now, very little has been made of these three other than that they've been healed, and we've generally assumed it was done just to show that Flinn could do it and that a woman healed by a man would go back to full strength.
It's shows that both genders need each other, to make the most of their abilities. A counter example, is Nynaeve's healing of Leane and Siuan, versus Nynaeve's healing of Logain. Damer Flinn's healing of Sashalle gives a good clue, that both genders of channelers need each other.

It matter's for Valan Luca storyline in AMoL book, in my judgment. Why? There are clues that Valan Luca was severed in the past. If the Dragon is to help re-seal the Bore, perhaps channeling might be needed? (Other alternatives exist too: Dreaming, abandoning one World for another).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
And of course, later in the book he succeeds with both Sashalle and Ronaille, too.

Now, very little has been made of these three other than that they've been healed, and we've generally assumed it was done just to show that Flinn could do it and that a woman healed by a man would go back to full strength.
That's not exactly true, as Sashalle Anderly is acting like an full Aiel Wise One, since being healing by Damer Flinn.

It's a big deal, because Samitsu Tamagowa cannot get Sashalle Anderly to obey Aes Sedai customs. (See CoT book, Prologue "Glimmers of the Pattern".) Why? Because Sashalle Anderly has learned lessons Egwene al'Vere has NOT FULLY LEARNED as an Apprentice. Sashalle Anderly has become a Wise One, meanwhile Egwene al'Vere has not become a Wise One yet.

Sashalle Anderly healing has placed her in an unique position, one of three individuals who are both full Aes Sedai and Wise Ones. The Three Oaths did not make one an Aes Sedai in the Second Age, nor in the early history of the White Tower.


When Sashalle fingers her necklace, she is recalling the difference between Aiel AND Wise Ones… and what her identity is now.
Quote:
Fingering her Aiel necklace, Sashalle seemed unaware that Samitsu had any grievance, unaware of Samitsu’s scrutiny. “This may be nothing, or it may warrant looking into,” she said, “but Corgaide was only reporting what she heard. If we want to learn anything, we must go and see for ourselves.” Without another word, she gathered her skirts and started out of the apartments, leaving Samitsu only a choice between following or remaining behind. It was intolerable! Yet remaining was unthinkable.


Crossroads of Twilight, Prologue "Glimmers of the Pattern" -- Samitsu point of view; with Sashalle in Cairhien

Sashalle chooses to follow Aiel Customs rather than Aes Sedai customs:

Status gained by Will and Voice (merit trait); rather than Status gained by Level of Strength in Saidar (in-born trait).

Necklaces are a sign of Office or Status, among the Aiel Peoples. It's similar to necklaces among Majors, Governors, Rulers among Randlanders. It's what both Bran al'Vere, Matrim Cauthon necklaces and Corgaide's heavy silvery ring of long keys at her waist all signify: status, office, adulthood, a degree of independence.
Quote:
What really discomfited her, though, was the woman with her hair in ringlets to her shoulders standing in the middle of the carpet, fists on her hips, a belligerent set to her chin, and a frown narrowing her blue eyes. Sashalle wore the Great Serpent ring, of course, on her right hand, but also an Aiel necklace and bracelet, fat beads of silver and ivory intricately worked and carved, gaudy against her high-necked dress of brown wool, which was plain if fine and well cut. Not crude pieces, certainly, but . . . flamboyant, and hardly the sort a sister would wear. The oddity of that jewelry might hold the key to much, if Samitsu could ever find the reason behind it. The Wise Ones, especially Sorilea, looked at her as if she were a fool for not knowing without asking, and refused to be bothered with answering. They did that all too often. Most especially Sorilea. Samitsu was unused to being thought a fool, and she disliked it immensely.


Crossroads of Twilight, Prologue "Glimmers of the Pattern" -- Samitsu point of view; with Sashalle in Cairhien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
However, it occurred to me this morning that here we have three AS, apparently sworn to Rand, none of whom are bound by the Three Oaths, and no-one has realised. It would be terrible if one of them were black, or even if one of them merely decided their loyalties lay in a direction other than Rand (for example, Egwene and the Tower), and did something about it. They're barely mentioned again as far as I can tell from the encyclopedia, but I'm inclined to think that everything happens, for some reason...
Note the Encyclopedia is not up to date, about Samitsu or Sashalle Anderly doings as of Towers of Midnight book IRC.

Who did you think Sorilea will go to, if she has a question to ask about how the White Tower customs operate? If I was her, I'd ask the three Wise Ones, who are also Aes Sedai.
  1. Sashalle Anderly (Red Ajah)
  2. Ronaille Vevanios
  3. Irgain Fatamed
If need be Sorilea can force Egwene al'Vere stubborn hand, in any number of ways.

These three Aes Sedai-Wise One's are akin to the three Aes Sedai-Sea Folk sisters, they each have dirt on the White Tower as an institution.

Last edited by FelixPax; 09-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
FelixPax's Avatar
FelixPax FelixPax is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,612
FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default Verin's fear of being discovered? || Sashalle & the Ferret Metaphor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Sashalle is taking charge in Cairhein over Samitsu. Other than that you are correct that all three are relegated to "spear-carrier" status.

None of the three are named as BA. But Irgain explicitly, and all of the captured TAS from Dumai's Wells, implicitly, were subjected to Verin's interrogation and Suggestion Weave which binds them to ensuring that the Dragon Reborn survives to stand at T'G.
Question is did Damer Flinn's Healing also find and eliminate any weaves Verin's may have placed upon these three Aes Sedai-Wise Ones?

If I was Verin, I'd have wondered if Damer Flinn noticed saidar upon these three Aes Sedai-Wise One during a delving?


More abstractly in terms of metaphors, Sashalle seems to be tied to the ferret metaphor:

Quote:
Suppressing a triumphant smile, Samitsu moved up beside the Red sister. So Sashalle thought she could simply push her aside and ferret out what was going on, did she? The woman was in for a surprise.

Crossroads of Twilight, Prologue 'Glimmers of the Pattern' -- Samitsu point of view; with Loial, Karldin, Sashalle, Mistress Beldair, Eldrid Methin (Chief Cook, Cairhien Palace)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Acaelus's Avatar
Acaelus Acaelus is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Acaelus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
Somehow I get the feeling that even if Rand had all the names/descriptions of the stray Black Ajah, that he might not recognize one to see them, since they know they are hunted and they will presumably know how to disguise themselves.
This is just a little something I thought I should bring to light in this discussion. Rand no longer has any need for a list of names. After his transformation he clearly states that the time for hiding and manipulating is over.

Somehow his transformation has given him the ability to recognise those who have sworn oaths to the Dark One. Evidence being when he lined up the High Lords and Ladies of Tear and removed the Darkfriends from their midst.

It is an assumption, but I believe it to be a correct one. That we can assume this new "sight" or "ability" will extend to all Darkfriends, including Black Ajah. Therefore the danger posed by sleeper cells of Black Ajah in Rand company taking him by surprise no longer exists. However that does not mean they pose no danger, just that the element of surprise is not a factor any more.

However, Egwene does not know this so her choice not to impart such crucial knowledge on a potentially world ending threat - the possibility of Rand being killed prematurely by Black Ajah Agents - is a very big oversight. The fact that it is unlikely to happen is no excuse. When the fate of your world hangs in the balance you don't play around.

Last edited by Acaelus; 09-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 AM
FelixPax's Avatar
FelixPax FelixPax is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,612
FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaelus View Post
It is an assumption, but I believe it to be a correct one. That we can assume this new "sight" or "ability" will extend to all Darkfriends, including Black Ajah. Therefore the danger posed by sleeper cells of Black Ajah in Rand company taking him by surprise no longer exists. However that does not mean they pose no danger, just that the element of surprise is not a factor any more.
Elayne's own repeated Dreams of being captured by the Shadow's agents, bluntly flies in the face of that bolded assumption.

As does Nynaeve al'Meara fears of being tapped on the shoulder by Moghedien.

Both Elayne, Nynaeve's fears & dreams remain valid. The element of surprise remains a factor. Questions of when, where, how, what--remain open-ended.

Just because one knows Black Ajah exist, does not mean one knows their plans of operation.


Just ask a Linebacker or Safety... do you bite on a run looking play or is that hand-off a set-up for a pass instead? Your time window to decide is very limited....

In WoT terms, Graendal simply waited to act too late to flee Earth for a safer Mirror World. Outcome? Graendal has become Shaidar Haren's newly chosen play toy.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Zombie Sammael's Avatar
Zombie Sammael Zombie Sammael is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Too close to New South Wales
Posts: 3,225
Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaelus View Post
This is just a little something I thought I should bring to light in this discussion. Rand no longer has any need for a list of names. After his transformation he clearly states that the time for hiding and manipulating is over.

Somehow his transformation has given him the ability to recognise those who have sworn oaths to the Dark One. Evidence being when he lined up the High Lords and Ladies of Tear and removed the Darkfriends from their midst.

It is an assumption, but I believe it to be a correct one. That we can assume this new "sight" or "ability" will extend to all Darkfriends, including Black Ajah. Therefore the danger posed by sleeper cells of Black Ajah in Rand company taking him by surprise no longer exists. However that does not mean they pose no danger, just that the element of surprise is not a factor any more.

However, Egwene does not know this so her choice not to impart such crucial knowledge on a potentially world ending threat - the possibility of Rand being killed prematurely by Black Ajah Agents - is a very big oversight. The fact that it is unlikely to happen is no excuse. When the fate of your world hangs in the balance you don't play around.
This isn't actually the case, nor is it a new ability. Rand has demonstrated the power to "see" Darkfriends on two or three separate occasions, but each time he had reasons beyond merely looking at them, or looking into their eyes, to suspect the individuals.

The first time was actually in TSR, with Hadnan Kadere in the Waste. There, he had a suspicion that Kadere was involved with something, since he expected the Forsaken to move against him, and his sight amounted to seeing that Kadere was "dangerous" - but crucially not a Darkfriend, specifically. He even comments to Mat about the importance of the eyes.

The most famous time, of course, is the example you cite involving Weiramon, but even here Rand had other reasons to suspect Weiramon, possibly including a letter from Verin to the effect. Looking into Weiramon's eyes confirmed it, but it was purely confirmatory, not indicative. In any case, it is clear the eyes are important to spotting a DF; both instances involve looking at the eyes heavily, and there is a plethora of other evidence and metaphor throughout the series linking eyes to light and to soul, e.g. "Half the Light of the world to save the world".

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that you (and everyone else) is jumping to conclusions about Egwene. She may already have heard about Elza from any of the sisters allied to Rand, and the fact that she hasn't contacted him regarding any other Darkfriend Aes Sedai in his camp may simply indicate that she is not aware of any. This doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any; Verin herself mentioned that she can't be sure the list is completely comprehensive.
__________________
Sa souvraya niende misain ye

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 AM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,818
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
The first time was actually in TSR, with Hadnan Kadere in the Waste.
A firster time was actually in TDR, when he killed the female merchant, her guards and her pet gray man.

Quote:
She may already have heard about Elza from any of the sisters allied to Rand, and the fact that she hasn't contacted him regarding any other Darkfriend Aes Sedai in his camp may simply indicate that she is not aware of any.
That could be the case, but if it is, then that's a rather damning indictment of her own intellect. After all, the following is from her own thoughts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS, Chapter 39, A Visit From Verin Sedai
Each name was like a thorn through Egwene's skin. Dagdara Finchey, who had healed Egwene once when she'd stumbled and twisted her ankle. Zanica, who had taught Egwene lessons and had seemed so pleasant. Larissa Lyndel. Miyasi, for whom Egwene had cracked nuts. Nesita. Nacelle Kayama. Nalaene Forrell, who—like Elza—was bound to Rand. Birlen Pena. Melvara. Chai Rugan. . . .
If she truly does not even know that she herself is actually thinking of the fact that Nalaene Forrell is bound to Rand, and thus presumably now and then in a position to spy on him or kill him, then she's more stupid than I give her credit for.

This piece was already quoted on page one of this thread.

Last edited by GonzoTheGreat; 09-11-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Zombie Sammael's Avatar
Zombie Sammael Zombie Sammael is offline
Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Too close to New South Wales
Posts: 3,225
Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
This piece was already quoted on page one of this thread.
Yes, I became aware of it after I'd posted. I obviously don't re-read the entire thread or remember every single post when responding to the most recent message. No-one does. I think it's rather disingenuous of you to expect me to.
__________________
Sa souvraya niende misain ye

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-11-2011, 07:26 AM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,818
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I didn't expect you to reread it. I expected you to remember it, as I did. The only reason why I (sort of) reread it was that I wanted to quote it. Otherwise I would've simply referred to it without bothering with rereading.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Solmancer Solmancer is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 29
Solmancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Random comment (oh hi me not lurking):

Remember Sashalle's letter that was addressed to Galina that Tsutama read to Javindhra and Pevara? It seemed to imply that Sashalle was aware of being freed of the Oaths:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife of Dreams p53 hardback
... I look forward to my eventual return to the Tower, where I will retake the Three Oaths to reaffirm my dedication to my Ajah and to the Tower.
I'm not sure what it means in the long run, if anything, but I think Sashalle knows what's going on with herself.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 AM
MissMeggles MissMeggles is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
MissMeggles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Isn't this all moot now that we know Rand can see DF's? If any of those sworn to him are DF's he can see them now. As shown in ToM when he goes to The Stone and casts out the High Lord and Lady because he knows what they are.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Terez's Avatar
Terez Terez is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corn
Posts: 21,127
Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default

1. He got a tip in Verin's letter.
2. He can't tell Darkfriends on sight; he has to put them on the spot.

That's why he said "It is you" when Weiramon wouldn't meet his eyes. That confirmed what Verin told him.
__________________
Qui nos rodunt confundantur, et cum iustis non scribantur.
@Terez27
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 PM
MissMeggles MissMeggles is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10
MissMeggles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
1. He got a tip in Verin's letter.
2. He can't tell Darkfriends on sight; he has to put them on the spot.

That's why he said "It is you" when Weiramon wouldn't meet his eyes. That confirmed what Verin told him.
Ok I can buy he got a tip from Verin, and that he can't see DF's. But, DF's can barely stand to look at him, because of "the terrible light." What's his face is Maradon (yes I know bad Meggles I am lazy and don't want to look up the name) said something like "the light killed me" It would make sense to me that those who are of the dark persuasion would be found out quickly due to that fact alone.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 AM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,818
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
2. He can't tell Darkfriends on sight; he has to put them on the spot.
Are you sure about this?

He also said (I've removed the bits he didn't say): "I want you to deliver a message for me, to the others of your . . . association. Tell them that they cannot hide among my allies any longer. Tell them that I am no longer blind."

Have we seen any case of a known DF who managed to avoid detection by the DR since then, even though Rand did see him or her?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM
eht slat meit eht slat meit is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 987
eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Are you sure about this?
I think it's a matter of sorta-kinda; Rand has suddenly picked up on a pattern of behavior, an inability of darkfriends to look him in the face. I would imagine it's not an easy thing to catch, but once you know how it works, it's just a matter of watch and confirm.

LTT was apparently such an arrogant snot that it's not a surprise that Forsaken the likes of Moghedien managed to hide in plain sight from the Dragon, despite the fact that he probably had the same talents then.

Given that the DFs have absolutely no way of knowing how he's picking them out of a crowd, it's an effective strategy to warn them like that.
__________________
~ Blightwarden Eht Slat Meit li Vaelkier
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Terez's Avatar
Terez Terez is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corn
Posts: 21,127
Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMeggles View Post
Ok I can buy he got a tip from Verin, and that he can't see DF's. But, DF's can barely stand to look at him, because of "the terrible light." What's his face is Maradon (yes I know bad Meggles I am lazy and don't want to look up the name) said something like "the light killed me" It would make sense to me that those who are of the dark persuasion would be found out quickly due to that fact alone.
Maradon was a different situation entirely because Rand was channeling massive amounts of the Power (and because Weiramon's reaction didn't resemble that even slightly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Are you sure about this?

He also said (I've removed the bits he didn't say): "I want you to deliver a message for me, to the others of your . . . association. Tell them that they cannot hide among my allies any longer. Tell them that I am no longer blind."
I think Rand was overstating his abilities in that instance. He didn't reveal his tip either. Would you?

Quote:
Have we seen any case of a known DF who managed to avoid detection by the DR since then, even though Rand did see him or her?
No, but we haven't seen any others uncovered either, and it's not very logical to assume that there are no more Darkfriends hiding in his midst at all. No suspicious disappearances. Either there were no major Darkfriends among the other major-ish characters, or Rand can't tell a Darkfriend on sight. It takes a little effort on his part. And there's no reason to believe that, for example, someone like Sorilea would react the same way as a couple of dorks like Weiramon and Anaiyella, either.
__________________
Qui nos rodunt confundantur, et cum iustis non scribantur.
@Terez27
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:43 AM
eht slat meit eht slat meit is offline
Youngling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 987
eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
And there's no reason to believe that, for example, someone like Sorilea would react the same way as a couple of dorks like Weiramon and Anaiyella, either.
They might, however, find an excuse to take off for Rhuidean.
__________________
~ Blightwarden Eht Slat Meit li Vaelkier
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.