art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/2010 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Got into an argument with someone about this on my Facebook a couple of weeks ago. He was your typical 'let's kill em' type person. I think it's our responsibility to produce our own drugs so that we stop putting money in these thugs' pockets, because without that money, they wouldn't have a stranglehold on the Mexican government.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...up_wealth.html

Perry and Roseanne ticket? The Kill Ticket?

But seriously Gonzo, you are as bad as the media taking a news report and jazzing it up. Considering our military has been involved in Columbia for decades not to mention Predator Strikes in Pakistan and Yemen, etc.
It might not be right, and that is a highly subjective question, but it has been a policy of the US government and other governments for a few decades. You seem to think you have found that water is not wet. Perry is not advocating new wars explicitly.

Now, personally I am not in favor of all these little wars but as President Obama kindly reminds us, in Libya, we have a duty to intervene in the world's affairs. I thought it was just Bush. But hey, Bush had Congressional authority for his action.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."

Last edited by Res_Ipsa; 10-02-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Got into an argument with someone about this on my Facebook a couple of weeks ago. He was your typical 'let's kill em' type person. I think it's our responsibility to produce our own drugs so that we stop putting money in these thugs' pockets, because without that money, they wouldn't have a stranglehold on the Mexican government.
Sounds like an oil argument. I have very self-serving reasons for breaking OPEC. I want to return the OPEC countries, including Venezuela, to the abject and backwards existence they would have, without the money we pay to them for oil.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

How much has that war in Colombia cost so far?
What (if anything) have you got in return for that investment?

I don't know the answer to the first, but I think that the answer to the second would be "basically nothing".

Combine that with the fact that such wars have a rather bad habit of spilling over the borders, and you might very well end up with Chinese paid American Apache helicopters firing on targets in Texan suburbs. Do you really think that should be approved without discussion?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
How much has that war in Colombia cost so far?
I don't know, how much did it cost us to save your little country (among the rest of Europe)? All we seem to have gotten from that is an ungrateful netizen :P

Quote:
I don't know the answer to the first, but I think that the answer to the second would be "basically nothing".
It is not something you can say is "something or nothing".

Quote:
Combine that with the fact that such wars have a rather bad habit of spilling over the borders, and you might very well end up with Chinese paid American Apache helicopters firing on targets in Texan suburbs. Do you really think that should be approved without discussion?
He is a candidate with talking points, and as it was pointed out you are pretending he said something that he did not necessarily say.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
I don't know, how much did it cost us to save your little country (among the rest of Europe)? All we seem to have gotten from that is an ungrateful netizen :P
First, I am not at all sure that the USA would have gone to war with Germany if Germany had not declared war upon the USA. After that, your options were to either surrender or to fight.
Second, the Soviets did a lot more to save my country than the USA did. Should that make me love Stalin?

Quote:
It is not something you can say is "something or nothing".
I thought that I just did exactly that.

Quote:
He is a candidate with talking points, and as it was pointed out you are pretending he said something that he did not necessarily say.
He said that it might be a good idea to let American soldiers take part in the drug war in Mexico. Based on the history of the past century, that would make the conflict worse, not better.

Do you truly believe that he would be in favor of letting US troops operate as Mexican law enforcement, subject to Mexican law and the Mexican justice system for any (alleged) things they do there?
If not, then they would be seen as foreign invaders. Just as is the case in Afghanistan, Iraq and Colombia, to name but a few. How long until more troops were needed? And even more? And then how long until the fighting did indeed spill over the borders?

Just ask yourself how happy Americans would be about having Mexican soldiers in your streets, "purely to enforce the embargo on exporting guns to Mexico", of course. Add to that the idea that those soldiers would not be subject to US law, and you may start to figure out why this is not a good idea.
It is a very bad suggestion, coming from someone who might possibly become US president.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Mexico won't even accept that much from us, as the article you linked makes clear.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it's our responsibility to produce our own drugs so that we stop putting money in these thugs' pockets, because without that money, they wouldn't have a stranglehold on the Mexican government.
Well, altering our drug policy just to affect another country seems a little wold-policey to me.

But anything will grow in America. I just think we could legalize, import, and tax to the same effect. The price would go way down. And the money that is given to thugs won't be nearly enough to allow them to keep on thugging.
Quote:
Considering our military has been involved in Columbia for decades not to mention Predator Strikes in Pakistan and Yemen, etc.
It's spelled Colombia, dumbass. Columbia is a college in NYC. If there was a military presence there, I would have left sooner.

Normally I wouldn't care, but you can't base your credibility on your familiarity with the subtleties of the law and language, and fuck up basic precision. People think we are dumb enough as it is, and will leap at any chance to rub this shit in our faces.
Quote:
It might not be right, and that is a highly subjective question, but it has been a policy of the US government and other governments for a few decades.
The other countries seemed to have policies of 'let the US do whatever it wants'. So we can only intervene because the rest of the world lets us.

Although right/wrong isn't nearly as subjective as you make it out to be.
Quote:
I thought it was just Bush. But hey, Bush had Congressional authority for his action.
Yeah, stick to your talking points buddy. I don't see how you're any better than Gonzo there, you both have pretty obvious biases revealed in selective reporting/commenting. But yeah, do your thing.
Quote:
I want to return the OPEC countries, including Venezuela, to the abject and backwards existence they would have, without the money we pay to them for oil.
Umm...why? Spite? Assholeness? To prove a point?
Quote:
More expensive coke, mostly
Quote:
That's a rather large leap. Even if we assume Americans are as evil as you seem to believe, hypocritical self interest would protect us. Can you imagine the Fox News contributors creaming themselves to use that?
Quote:
First, I am not at all sure that the USA would have gone to war with Germany if Germany had not declared war upon the USA. After that, your options were to either surrender or to fight.
Second, the Soviets did a lot more to save my country than the USA did. Should that make me love Stalin?
I think Res may have referred more to rebuilding Europe. The Marshall Plan and all. In fact, America may see itself as the World Police simply to prevent the world from needing that kind of money again. Once you guys all pay us back, we might give up on the whole thing. I'm pretty sure only Germany has paid us back so far.

Oh, and World Court? That's at least as presumptuous as World Police, is it not?
Quote:
It is a very bad suggestion, coming from someone who might possibly become US president.
It is a very bad suggestion. But let's not divide by zero here: the fact that the suggestion was so bad makes him invalid as the US President.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Elder

Quote:
Impossible to know, FDR was spoiling for a fight as subsequent history has shown.

Quote:
Not very informed on even the most basic of history, are we Gonzo. Even Stalin said it was the US who allowed the allies to succeed. Not to mention that whole lend-lease.And also the fact that the US provided much needed manpower to allow not allow the reinforcement of Western Theater troops to the Eastern Front. I wont deny Stalin was smart in refusing to meet the Blitzkrieg but you obviously display no knowledge of even that detail.

Quote:
I thought that I just did exactly that.
You did do exactly that but without any actual proof or support.

Not going to bother with the rest as it is more of the same.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Well, altering our drug policy just to affect another country seems a little wold-policey to me.
It's called taking responsibility for our own vices, rather than letting another country suffer for them. Attacking another country because we can't kick our drug habit - now that is world-policey.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's called taking responsibility for our own vices, rather than letting another country suffer for them. Attacking another country because we can't kick our drug habit - now that is world-policey.

If only we had another example of this type of issue in our nation's history with which to take our queues from...quick, can anyone name a time in our history when a drug was briefly prohibited by law and what we did to solve the upsurge in crime that accompanied that prohibition? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

LEGALIZE IT...and Tax It!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought it was pretty clear that I was joking. I agree with Davian here. Which I thought was made very clear with the very next line of my post.
Quote:
But anything will grow in America. I just think we could legalize, import, and tax to the same effect. The price would go way down. And the money that is given to thugs won't be nearly enough to allow them to keep on thugging.
I agree that American demand for drugs has created the economic forces perpetuating chaos in Mexico.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I thought it was pretty clear that I was joking. I agree with Davian here. Which I thought was made very clear with the very next line of my post.
I tend to take the matter of consistency in your posts with a grain of salt. Sorry about that.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Elder

Quote:
I tend to take the matter of consistency in your posts with a grain of salt. Sorry about that.
No need to apologize. Your position is the correct one.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
If only we had another example of this type of issue in our nation's history with which to take our queues from...quick, can anyone name a time in our history when a drug was briefly prohibited by law and what we did to solve the upsurge in crime that accompanied that prohibition? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

LEGALIZE IT...and Tax It!
Isn't it spelled cues? (Genuine question, I'm wondering if this is one of those things americans do differently)
Old 10-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
That's a rather large leap. Even if we assume Americans are as evil as you seem to believe, hypocritical self interest would protect us. Can you imagine the Fox News contributors creaming themselves to use that?
Definitely. How they would use it is less clear, though.
They might be violently opposed to it, if a Democrat government were to go after ... let's say ... non-colored reasonably affluent drug users.
Or they might heartily approve of it, if a Republican administration is going after "drug pushing illegal immigrants".

So I don't think it is quite as straightforward as you seem to think. But it is possible you'd also figured out that there were two distinct ways in which FOX News could be happy with this.

Quote:
It is a very bad suggestion. But let's not divide by zero here: the fact that the suggestion was so bad makes him invalid as the US President.
If only. I do not think it will do anything to lower his chances. It may not help him either, but that's the most.

His remark only invalidates him with those who think it through, and that's at most a minority of the voters.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
Isn't it spelled cues? (Genuine question, I'm wondering if this is one of those things americans do differently)
Yeah, it is...I was tired last night.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Tags
gay marriage, governor, politics, president, rick perry, rule 34