art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): Anonymous,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Perrin is. Though only after Fain ate all the rest, admittedly.
Yeah, but even with them all dead, there are still other Aybaras in the Two Rivers...including that young "cousin" that shows up in TSR.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Nynaeve will be Valan Luca's co-Dragon, I suspect. Actually, having Kari al-Thor being a former Tinker would also fit in well.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure it is ever confirmed that there aren't any sackville-al'thors anywhere, there may be second cousins estranged from the bunch. Or perhaps Tam is the one estranged, maybe he was disowned when he went off to find adventure.

Alternatively, the absence of relatives could be real, and a sort of action of the Wheel. Perhaps to make Rand closer to Tam, and more open to his advice. Or to make Rand's initial disconnect with the Two Rivers more bearable.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

this is why I need an E-reader, cuz I cannot carry all these books around with me. Our search doesn't have the split From the Two Rivers in it...and I was thinking there are much more Tam references in that book.

I remember Egwene having a previously unmentioned older sister who died (which we see immediately as dying from trying to channel without help) and references to many of the other townsfolk dying in mysterious ways. I HAVE NO IDEA where I put that book and the chapter isn't in our search. BOOOOO.

Anyone have access to that part...I think some Tam enlightenment was included.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
I remember Egwene having a previously unmentioned older sister who died (which we see immediately as dying from trying to channel without help) and references to many of the other townsfolk dying in mysterious ways.
It was mentioned in the YA edition of TEotW that one of Egwene's older sisters lost her husband and baby to breakbone fever. I don't remember any new information about Tam, though.

Last edited by sleepinghour; 08-17-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Elder

The Immortal One is just really niceThe Immortal One is just really niceThe Immortal One is just really niceThe Immortal One is just really niceThe Immortal One is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
What's really interesting to me about Tam is that despite him leaving as a young man and being gone for a long time period, he is still a very respected man in his community and is essentially the 'vice-mayor' to Bran. Even Nynaeve respects his opinion. Usually in such a closed tight society, someone who leaves and then comes back after a long time gone with a foreign wife would be ostracized to some extent. Instead, he's part of the Village Council and arguably the most influential man in the community outside of the Mayor (who relies on his counsel too).

It tells you just how remarkable a man he is that this has occurred.
If you remember (I don't remember the exact words) Rand thinks in the first few chapters how their dining table was big enough for ten or more people, though that many had not been around it since Kari died.

This implies that perhaps some of the influence, and lack of ostracisation, could be due to Kari's personality if she was friendly enough to invite entire families over to their house for dinner regularly.

RJ: Read And Find Out. I have grown so used to that answer, that when my wife asks me if I want to go out for dinner this evening, I sometimes say "Read and find out." That's usually when she hits me.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Youngling

Vanadis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible that Tam knew?

A thought that hasn't left me since the clue about Tam having his first POV in AMOL, is: Did Tam know what Rand might become?

What I really wonder; Is Tam educated enough (well traveled enough to hear about the prophesy), or is the prophesy of the Dragon known enough in the general population that he would have suspected that the child he found at the Dragonmount slope, could become the Dragon Reborn?

Perhaps its a silly question; not many study the karaethon cycle (as I have understood it), but... well, it made me curious. Could Tam suspected? Was it well known that the Dragon would be born where he died?

*shrugs*
Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Elder

David Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of lightDavid Selig is a glorious beacon of light

I am pretty sure Moiraine remarked in New Spring that while the vast majority of the Prophesies of the Dragon are only known by scholars, the part of them about the Dragon being reborn on Dragonmount is pretty well known among the general population. Given that Tam has travelled a lot and rose to a pretty high position in Illian, there's a good chance he's heard it.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

I agree - I think he *did* know, and didn't care. He took a risk with a helpless child and raised that child as best as he knew how. Thankfully, the world seems to be reaping the rewards of his risk.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 11-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Youngling

Vanadis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
I agree - I think he *did* know, and didn't care. He took a risk with a helpless child and raised that child as best as he knew how. Thankfully, the world seems to be reaping the rewards of his risk.
Ok, so if we presume that Tam knew who this child would become (or at least suspected)do you think that he made some conscious choices in Rands upbringing? Rand says to Min that the big differences between who he is today and who LTT was lays in the way he was taught.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Mmmm, perhaps I should qualify my response.

I believe that Tam did know enough about the Karaethon Cycle to know that finding a baby on Dragon Mount was not a random thing.

I do believe that he made a conscious decision to not care about the possibilities, and to raise that baby into a man as best as he knew how, regardless of the consequences. And then he stopped thinking about it.

Tam is a man who mulls overhis decisions, but he doesn't second guess them and he doesn't waste time thinking of what could be or what might be. His job was to raise Rand well - not to worry about whether he was the Drahon Reborn or no - so he didn't.

That's how I see it.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanadis View Post
A thought that hasn't left me since the clue about Tam having his first POV in AMOL, is: Did Tam know what Rand might become?

What I really wonder; Is Tam educated enough (well traveled enough to hear about the prophesy), or is the prophesy of the Dragon known enough in the general population that he would have suspected that the child he found at the Dragonmount slope, could become the Dragon Reborn?

Perhaps its a silly question; not many study the karaethon cycle (as I have understood it), but... well, it made me curious. Could Tam suspected? Was it well known that the Dragon would be born where he died?

*shrugs*
RJ said that Tam had no idea that Rand was the Dragon Reborn before the knowledge started spreading after Rand proclaimed himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
DragonCon 5 September 2005 - Tamyrlin reporting

Q: Before it became public knowledge that Rand was the Dragon Reborn, did Tam al'Thor know or suspect that Rand was the Dragon Reborn or could channel?

RJ: No, Tam had no inkling of this.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:29 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7 View Post
RJ said that Tam had no idea that Rand was the Dragon Reborn before the knowledge started spreading after Rand proclaimed himself:
Then I call PLE ignorance. Tam is educated enough to know the real story of the Dragon, but is ignorant enough that he had no idea what it meant to find a baby on Dragonmount? And it never hit him until Moiraine showed up? It's nice that we will get a PoV in AMoL, I'd like to see how this mind works.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Some more quotes:
Quote:
Balticon XXX April 1996 - Bill Garrett reporting

Tam "knows" that Rand is the Dragon Reborn. Jordan said that Tam has all the clues he needs to figure out that Rand is the Dragon Reborn. Whether or not Tam will admit it to himself is another matter. Jordan said that Tam merely finding Rand as a baby on the slopes of Dragonmount wasn't enough of a clue -- even if Tam were familiar with that prophecy then, few people think about those things or expect them to happen literally to them -- but that, plus the fact that Rand has disappeared off with Aes Sedai who say he's important, and the fact that the world is going crazy, should give Tam enough information to make the conclusion.

Balticon XXX April 1996 - Pam Korda reporting

Tam: He has basically put together all the stuff he's heard, and knows that Rand is the Dragon Reborn, although he hasn't admitted it to himself yet.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

When dealing with a story that involves prophecies that actually come to pass, you need to remember how people really think and feel in the world of day-to-day living. All the stories are of a "once upon a time" nature, you don't actually see yourself as becoming a living, breathing PART of one.

By the time Tam found the dead woman and her newborn child on the slopes of the mountain, I suspect that the fact that it was "Dragonmount" had simply become a bit of background data, never thought about. He's found a baby who's doomed to die if he doesn't rescue it. So he does. His much-loved wife has always wanted a child (which phrasing implies that she can't have her own), so he takes it home. I'm reasonably certain that the thought that this baby might be "special" flat-out never crossed his mind. Maybe if he'd been chatting with friends about the prophecies the night before he might have had an "I wonder... nah!" thought pass through his mind, but given the circumstances ... no.

As for later, when he's not rushed, well, it might have. But since RJ has clearly said, "No, he had no clue" I think that pretty much is all we need. As for the time after Rand left -- until Falme, there really was no way for Tam to have ANY idea. And Falme is a long way from the Two Rivers. Refugees coming into the Two Rivers would doubtless have brought the rumors and tall tales with them, but RJ loved showing how easily mis-information took on a life of its own, so it's really hard to say when he finally began to have a serious concept of the truth.

I'd guess it was when Aes Sedai arrived in town and began asking about the history of the three boys is when his first uneasy feelings began to arise.

Also, ditto on how awesome the "You're a bully!" scene with Cadsuane came out. Loved it!
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!

Tags
character of the week, tam al'thor