art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/2010 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor Shan View Post
Crockpot pulled pork

Pork shoulder
Cayenne/Paprika, maybe some cumin, garlic, onion, salt

Braise for like 8 hrs in apple cider vinegar +tomatoes + a bit of BBQ sauce

remove, tear up, eat in corn tortillas.
Crockpot pulled pork is ridiculously good.

I will try that recipe.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Elder

Cor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud of

I love it since it lasts like 2-3 days if I buy a 2-3 kilo roast, so then I barely need to cook. Plus if you fry it just enough that it gets crispy bits its amazing.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Seems like butter searing the meat and using tomato paste is the way to go next time. I will say that liquid doesn't reduce in a crockpot though - that's sort of the point. So I'd have to decant the crockpot and cook it down further, which sort of defeats the purpose of the crockpot. I think I'll just rely on the less (and better) liquid method.

Crockpot liners are AWESOME. They are very durable and easy to insert/ remove. Not the cheapest things in the world (sold in boxes of 5), but well worth not having to take the damn pot and its friends to the carwash...LOL.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Does your crock pot ceramic come out? If so, its easy to just soak it overnight. After that, it's a fairly straight-forward cleaning process.

For reducing, just crack the lid for the final couple hours. All that steam that was being held in evaporates out.

Or use less liquid I guess.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ha - yes, we do. But we also have a problem in the house of someone (hint: NOT me) not liking leftovers. And someone else who doesn't love to clean things out of containers if someone put them in there with no intention of actually eating them. Sometimes the remnants could sit for ... a while. We had an incident early on in our co-habitation involving lentil soup that lived in a pot in the back of the fridge for ... a while. It took the exchange of grilled cheese to get that pot out of my fridge and to the self-wash car wash for cleaning. WELL worth it.

Since then, we use liners.

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Been there before...one time I opened my fridge to this:

Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

My mom used a crockpot all the time. I have been unsucessful with most attempts. The only things that work well so far are Chili, pulled pork, soup and keeping dips hot.

I even bought a cookbook, but everything was TOO TIME CONSUMING or required 6 zillion ingredients. I want recipes where I can just toss a bunch of stuff in, turn it on and leave.

More recipes from our foodie crew would be welcome Kinda makes me laugh that the GUYS on here seem to be the better cooks.

EDIT oh and Dav, AWESOME. lololol I have to spread rep around, it won't let me rep ya for that one.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001

Last edited by SauceyBlueConfetti; 11-09-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Curry Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Coconut Rice

This is one of my favourite crockpot recipes ever. I love it!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

I am relatively new to the whole slow cooker experience, despite my sister buying me one for Christmas about 4 years ago I have only just started using it.

I mostly just cook either chilli or curry in it. Chilli I would fry off the minced beef first else it stays a bit clumpy, but if I'm doing a chicken curry I will just throw the chicken pieces in as they are, or if I'm very organised then I'll marinade the chicken with the spices and whatever veg I'm adding (usually tomatoes, onion & garlic) in the fridge over night.

Other than that I agree with Saucey that everything seems to need about 8 billion ingredients which I don't have, so haven't experimented much with anything else. Some of your recipes look interesting tho, might have to start being a bit more adventurous.

And also Ish? This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
It took the exchange of grilled cheese to get that pot out of my fridge and to the self-wash car wash for cleaning. WELL worth it.

Since then, we use liners.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Oh hang on, I've just remembered I did a steak and gorgonzola pie filling which was AWESOME. Would definitely try that again, even though I cheated hugely and used Bisto gravy granules to make my stock...
Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Been there before...one time I opened my fridge to this:

You owe my company a new monitor, Dav. I just spit water all over my desk.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

@Fig

That's funny, I had the same reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
Oh hang on, I've just remembered I did a steak and gorgonzola pie filling which was AWESOME. Would definitely try that again, even though I cheated hugely and used Bisto gravy granules to make my stock...
Ooooh. So, you made the filling the in the crockpot and then put it in a pie for baking? Cause that sounds epic! Recipe?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

How narrow is this thread's scope, Ishara?
Because I have a great french onion soup recipe, and some awesome roasted chicken winter recipes.

But, RE crock pot:
Fondue is great fun. get some fruit, toast some bread, slice a steak. I had a little date night last weekend, and did a little fondue picnic while watching some (lousy) movies. Went over well.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

There is no narrowness on a Food thread...please post both recipes.

If you do not, I will attempt to permaban you for failing to share.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Elder

Cor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud ofCor Shan has much to be proud of

The side effects of a board where 50% of the population are mods
Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

I made my first calzone ever last night. I was pretty pleased with it.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
@Fig

That's funny, I had the same reaction.

Ooooh. So, you made the filling the in the crockpot and then put it in a pie for baking? Cause that sounds epic! Recipe?
Exactly right.

I kind of made it up as I went along really. Got some chunks of steak, threw it in uncooked with a little salt and pepper and some rosemary and thyme, and made a thick beef stock with aforementioned gravy granules, and then left it on a low cook for about 5 hours or so, and for the last hour I added some chunks of gorgonzola - a generous amount, which all melted through and then put it in a pie dish with some pastry over and baked in the oven for about 30 minutes or so. Served with some roast potatoes and roast veg, and it was pronounced good.

In fact, I've just remembered I also caramelised some onions in a fying pan with a little butter and brown sugar for about 30 minutes and layered that in too, so pie filling, layer of onions and then pastry.

And now I want to make it again.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
There is no narrowness on a Food thread...please post both recipes.

If you do not, I will attempt to permaban you for failing to share.
Well, I don't want to get banned again, so I suppose I will post.

The chicken:
This one's more about technique than content, you brine and truss the chicken, and avoid basting it while it's roasting (you can throw some tinfoil over it if it's cooking too fast). The stuffing is made by cooking some fine diced carrots, chopped leeks, chopped onion, and chopped garlic in butter, then brown some sausage in the mix. throw in some mushrooms (as much as the sausage, by weight(1 lb); and the more wild, the better), let them cook down. then you want a cup of red wine (a burgundy), a quarter cup vinegar, and a half cup orange juice. after you stir all that together, add 2 cups chicken broth, chopped sage, salt and pepper. once the liquid reduces down a fair bit, add some unflavored bread crumbs (a fair bit, about equal to a little less than half the volume of everything else) let it all cook down until you get all the liquid absorbed and reduced. The end result should be moist, but crumbly.

Make the stuffing while the chicken's brining, then stuff the bird(s) and roast.

The soup:
this one's not exactly a pain in the ass, but it's just time-consuming enough that I always think twice before making it. However, I've never been disappointed, so no regrets.

The time consuming thing is cooking the onions. But, don't rush it. It'll take a little over three hours, with you stirring 3-4 times an hour. But:
Slice four pounds of onions into 1/4 inch thick slices, laterally, then chop the slices (but not too small. 4-5 sections per slice). Melt an 1/8th pound butter in a pot, then throw in the onions. cook on low, stirring occasionally, until done. (about three hours. you don't want any 'bite' left anywhere. you want it all like onion candy mush, but a piece should still have its shape)

While the onions are cooking, take three quarts beef broth and start simmering it in another pot. throw in a few bay leaves, some black pepper (or whole peppercorns), 5 or so thyme sprigs, no more than four cloves, a few dashes of tabasco, a few tablespoons of vinegar, a pinch of sugar, a can of a (non dark) beer, and if you want, a few dashes of soy sauce. If you don't have (or don't want) soy sauce, salt works too, but soy sauce is great here. anyway let this simmer but don't let it reduce. after the onions are done, throw 2 tablespoons flour in with the onions, and some more butter if you need it. turn the heat up slightly on the onions (medium) and stir until the flour is fully incorporated. then, strain the beef broth mixture into the pot with onions. discard the cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns, thyme, etc.

Now add a quarter cup ketchup, a half cup milk, some garlic powder, and salt and pepper to this mix. stir and let simmer for an hour or so, then take off the lid and let it reduce by about half.

Done! Enjoy!

Tags
food!