art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7501

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:Tex Knoll , josepcristano24, Awildali, KrystalReign, hafezy20, MGLMRaBBaNy, vinzie, aron123, plefasrol89, jsmseow2,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read 2011-2012 > WoT Re-Read with Brandon Sanderson
User Name
Password

Old 03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Then again, AS might be less inclined to credit a "wilder" like Alivia than they would be a Novice (Accepted? can't remember, and doesn't seem important enough to look up) like Sharina.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Quote:
Unlike Sharina, there has been no talk of Alivia being as strong as it is possible to be, so we assume she isn't.
Are we really crediting what Third Age Aes Sedai think is possible as any sort of WoTverse truth? Cuz Logain was healed, yo.

The comparison also is not very apt since Alivia has not spent time with any of the old Aes Sedai that tend to make these proclamations, aside from Cadsuane who isn't generally the type to go on about what is or isn't possible. Sharina has been with the SAS, with plenty of older AS who are the type to not understand the limits on their (collective) knowledge and capabilities, which is why they say such silly thinks as "as strong as it is possible to be". Lanfear says something similar, but short a *finn request the most obvious explanation is she's used to being the strongest woman and is horribly arrogant.

Last edited by Grig; 03-17-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez Send a message via MSN to Terez Send a message via Yahoo to Terez

*shrug* Believe what you want. The evidence points to Alivia being at least one rung below Lanfear/Sharina.

Wheel of Time Reference Library @Terez27

Qui nos rodunt confundantur, et cum iustis non scribantur.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
The angreal was not in addition (Lanfear has one, and so does Alivia). When Lanfear realized that Alivia's strength was impossible, she realized she must have an angreal. Unlike Sharina, there has been no talk of Alivia being as strong as it is possible to be, so we assume she isn't.
Quote:
Then the woman struck back at her, and she suffered her second shock. She was stronger than Cyndane had been before the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn held her! That was impossible; no woman could be stronger. She must have an angreal, too
This passage is problematic cause it has inherit logical flaws. For instance you say that Cyndane realizing Alivia's strength was impossible she thinks she must have an angreal, that goes against the conclusion Cyndane should have made. The obvious conclusion is not that someone has impossible strength, it is that they have an angreal. So that is the conclusion Cyndane should have made right of the bat, not by first jumping to an "impossible" conclusion, reiterating that conclusion in the next sentence before finally coming to a reasonable conclusion.

The sentence "She was stronger than Cyndane had been before the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn held her!" seems to me to be referring to natural born raw strength. It is what is usually meant when using those terms. Also, in light of what we now know, that the *Finns drained Lanfear/Cyndane of her strength before she was rescued, it also appears that it was raw natural born strength that was the meaning in that sentance. She gives a reference to the *Finns and there she lost raw strength, not angreal enhanced strength.

Now, the first sentence "Then the woman struck back at her, and she suffered her second shock." is what is starting the misleading and logically flawed monologue. How can you detect what raw strength someone has only based on the power of a weaving? Can't be done as far as I know.

Last two sentences goes with what you say the meaning is, "That was impossible; no woman could be stronger. She must have an angreal, too." Which is likely what RJ meant. But that Lanfear would be so daft to say the things above, and so arrogant and daft and used to being the strongest woman alive to think that anything else would be impossible (because of plastic - power enhancing - surgery??), it doesn't make sense.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez Send a message via MSN to Terez Send a message via Yahoo to Terez

She believes that it was impossible to be stronger than she was before the 'Finns (that bit was not under debate so far as I recall) because there is an upper limit to female strength. This is made clear enough with the Sharina passage, not to mention the scale RJ mentioned. Graendal said much the same when speaking of her angreal - that anyone who thought they knew her strength would find a shock.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

The Graendal case does lend support by using the same lingo. Sharina and 21-scale isn't that conclusive though. What does Lanfear know of RJ 21-scale? Sharina is as has been said argued by third age Aes Sedai.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Evidently, there is a way that they can tell what the upper limit is. It may be a simple matter of sensing potential in terms of percentage. There would be no reason for the Aes Sedai to speculate that Sharina will become 'as strong as it is possible to be' if the upper limit wasn't known.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Quote:
Evidently, there is a way that they can tell what the upper limit is. It may be a simple matter of sensing potential in terms of percentage. There would be no reason for the Aes Sedai to speculate that Sharina will become 'as strong as it is possible to be' if the upper limit wasn't known.
Unless they are imposing a limit that doesn't exist based on ignorance? Kind of like the one that said that stilling couldn't be healed? Or that channelers cannot be forced into circles?

I can say that there's no possible way a man can lift 2000 lbs unaided. That doesn't make it true. I might believe it is. It might be. But unless I can demonstrate it is somehow a logical contradiction, it is at best a provisional guess until someone comes along that can lift 2000 lbs unaided to disprove it. Same with their upper bound. Unless it's WoG, it's questionable. And what they consider the upper bound might not be the same as what Jordan did, even. And while Third Agers have lucked into some discoveries that AoL AS couldn't have dreamed of, their knowledge of the Power in general seems rather deficient -- they seem an odd source of absolutes on what can or cannot exist or be done with reference to the Power.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
Unless they are imposing a limit that doesn't exist based on ignorance?
Along with the fact that 1) we know there is an upper limit from RJ, and 2) Lanfear knows of the upper limit, Occam's Razor suggests that there is one, and that it's not a secret. I think I already explained sufficiently how this could be possible.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Youngling

Quote:
1) we know there is an upper limit from RJ
I never contested this. I'm asking you how the Third Age AS learned this from RJ, or how we know that their upper limit is congruent with his.

Quote:
2) Lanfear knows of the upper limit
How do we know this? She thinks people can't be stronger than her. But unless it's phrased much clearer, that was no different than Vegeta crushing his scouter because he sees someone's power level over 8000. Every shounen villain goes off about how nobody can be stronger than them. It doesn't mean that their strength aligns with the actually existing universal upper limit.

Last edited by Grig; 03-21-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Why assume that Lanfear was merely being arrogant when the idea of an upper limit is corroborated by the Aes Sedai? Again, Occam's Razor suggests that they simply have a way of knowing how strong a woman can be.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Why assume that Lanfear was merely being arrogant when the idea of an upper limit is corroborated by the Aes Sedai? Again, Occam's Razor suggests that they simply have a way of knowing how strong a woman can be.
The other point I've always made is that Cyndane was right--Alivia did have an angreal. To me, this is pretty strong corroboration that Lanfear was indeed "maxed out."
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Youngling

Rusty Neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Felix

If the Seanchan enter Tar Valon through a basement, they will quickly gain a superior position in one of the buildings: Library Tower or White Tower.

When I first read this I read it as
"If the Seanchan enter Tar Valon through a basement, they will quickly gain a '"Supervisor"' position in one of the buildings: Library Tower or White Tower. lol

I see you are knowlegable in history. Now, I need two forms of identification and 3 references.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Youngling

Sorry, first time post. I do not know how to quote others entry's
Old 12-02-2011, 04:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Neal View Post
Sorry, first time post. I do not know how to quote others entry's
The simplest way is probably just hitting the "quote" button at the bottom of the post you want to quote.

And the Seanchan might find that they've stuffed their entire army into a basement that was blocked off during the Trolloc Wars, if they're just a bit unlucky. That'd be fun, wouldn't it?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Youngling

thanks! i did not see the quote button
Old 05-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Youngling

codetoast is a jewel in the roughcodetoast is a jewel in the roughcodetoast is a jewel in the roughcodetoast is a jewel in the rough

Who is the guy thats coming in at the end of the visit to T'A'R to look at Callendor. Is it Rand? or Ishameal or Be'lal, or another. Theres a lot of people interested in it and it seems like sylvie is afraid for egwene being seen there.

Personally I think this is of significance:
"Air, and Fire, and Spirit. She could trace the intricate weave made by saidar, set with a strength that amazed her. There were gaps in that weave, spaces where her probe should slide through. When she tried, it was like fighting the strongest part of the weave head on. It hit her then, what she was trying to force a way through, and she let her probe vanish. Half that wall had been woven using saidar; the other half, the part she could not sense or touch, had been made with saidin. That was not it exactly--the wall was all of one piece--but it was close enough. A stone wall stops a blind woman as surely as one who can see it."

The shield exists in TAR as well as the waking world. Also its woven with saidar and saidin. Maybe this is the way the seal on the dark ones prison will work. Of course there is too much in this chapter to know for sure what he means but here are some other possibilities:

"she--she offered kisses, and more" -who is the she here, lanfear?

Verin seems to me more aloof going into those kitchens then she originally thought. I dont know if perhaps she was under compulsion.

So many more here to speculate on.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely Be'lal based on context.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-26-2012, 03:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by codetoast View Post
Who is the guy thats coming in at the end of the visit to T'A'R to look at Callendor. Is it Rand? or Ishameal or Be'lal, or another. Theres a lot of people interested in it and it seems like sylvie is afraid for egwene being seen there.
I would guess Be'lal, based on the "Awake or asleep, he wants..." which follows Sylvie's statement that "he's coming to stare at it again".
Of course, that is not quite definitive, so there is still room for uncertainty here. But Be'lal is the only one who could safely approach Callandor in the real world, as any others would be considered intruders. Rand wasn't close to Tear, yet, and Ishamael didn't want to fight Be'lal for a prize neither of them could get anyway at that time.

Quote:
"she--she offered kisses, and more" -who is the she here, lanfear?
Good question.
I would say that it depends on whether or not the "she" tried to kill Rand. If so, then it wasn't Lanfear, if not, then it probably was.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Youngling

IvySedai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default THe Dragon Reborn Ch 27 - AMoL foreshadowing

Early in 2011, Brandon Sanderson posted this on Twitter:

"Wow. TDR 27 has a cool little foreshadowing for the end of AMOL that I'd never noticed before. #wotrr"

At the time, people hottly tried to guess what it was, mostly by finding hidden meanings in Eg´s dreams and weaving theories with them. And then they forgot about it, myself included.

Then, during a reread of TDR I came across something that made me think 'hey, this looks like a foreshadowing'. And I suddenly remembered Brandon´s twit. When I went to check it, bingo, it was the same chapter I was reading. So my guess is simply that Elayne is going to be attacked by a gray man at the end of AMoL. Afterall, the foreshadowing was supposed to be about something little, not a big surprise.

There are 2 lines:

“I have to write to my mother,” Elayne said. When she saw the looks they gave her, her voice became
defensive. “I have already vanished once without her knowing where I was. If I do it again . . . . You do not
know Mother’s temper. She could send Gareth Bryne and the whole army against Tar Valon. Or hunting after
us.”
“You could stay here,” Egwene said.
“No. I will not let you two go alone. And I won’t stay here wondering if the sister teaching me is a
Darkfriend, or if the next Gray Man will come after me.

and:

“Nynaeve,” Egwene said in a small voice, “I . . . . I don’t want to be alone tonight.” It pained her to make that admission.
“I don’t, either,” Elayne said. “I keep thinking about the Soulless. I do not know why, but they frighten
me even more than the Black Ajah.

Both quotes are from TDR Ch27. And there is also that angreal that Aviendha thinks will make her undetectable to shadow minions. If Elayne is attacked by a Soulless, she will have need of it.

Comments?