art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > George R. R. Martin
User Name
Password

Old 12-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future

Maybe Brandon can finish this too and make it better?

I mean RJ dies and he gets 3 books out of WoT in the span of time it took GRRM to do this one book. (3 soon anyway).
Old 12-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Brandon and most of GRRM's fans don't think Brandon would be a good match for GRRM. He hasn't even read past GOT because it was too 'gritty' for him (read: too much violence and sex).
Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Brandon has also said somewhere he wouldn't be comfortable with writing a book that he couldn't give to his nieces. (I think it was nieces, not sure)

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 12-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Elder

Basel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant futureBasel Gill has a brilliant future

Well, it was sort of a bad attempt at sarcasm as much as anything, but I have no doubt that would be his attitude on it.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't another writer that could finish GRRM's work. For one, he doesnt have a huge compendium of notes like RJ and two, nobody has his style/ability to write this type of very specific sub-genre.

If GRRM dies, his world dies with him.

Like Res, I dont see it being finished...which is sad as its such a fascinating world.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
There isn't another writer that could finish GRRM's work. For one, he doesnt have a huge compendium of notes like RJ and two, nobody has his style/ability to write this type of very specific sub-genre.

If GRRM dies, his world dies with him.

Like Res, I dont see it being finished...which is sad as its such a fascinating world.
GGK? He did help Christopher Tolkien make sense of the notes left by JRR Tolkien to compile the Silmarillion. And honestly, not having sufficient, and specific notes might be a good thing considering the woeful state of the last few books.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I have wondered before if GGK was on the shortlist for WoT.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I have wondered before if GGK was on the shortlist for WoT.
While GGK is a great author...one of my favorites actually and I even like some of his books maybe more than WoT because they are self-contained fantastic stories (Tigana, Lions), I just dont see it. His style is so completely unique to him, I dont see it sounding even close to right.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
His style is so completely unique to him, I dont see it sounding even close to right.
Totally agree. GGK, to me, is almost musical in his writing. Vastly different from RJ and cannot even IMAGINE him doing GRRM. It is making me laugh just thinking about it. Not to mention, GGK likes a happy ending when he can give it...a sliver, a glimmer of a happy ending in a sad and fricking melancholy way, but not twisted the way GRRM is.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 12-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
Totally agree. GGK, to me, is almost musical in his writing. Vastly different from RJ and cannot even IMAGINE him doing GRRM. It is making me laugh just thinking about it. Not to mention, GGK likes a happy ending when he can give it...a sliver, a glimmer of a happy ending in a sad and fricking melancholy way, but not twisted the way GRRM is.
The upside to him finishing either series: Both would be completely wrapped up in 300 pages max with lots of unknowns for us to just think about within the larger meaning of the story.