art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
I am.

the end... see, it's not the end, really - and that's the heartwrenchingly sad part. You see that when you look at what's been happening in Russia since the early '90s, first the euphoric hope and freedom, then the ever-increasing fear of instability, resulting in the return of oppression. Not in all parts of the old USSR, true, but in the vast majority: Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan & Armenia (though, to a lesser extent), Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Kyryzstan... Even out of the 4 the ones that are considered "free" now, Latvia and Georgia have serious problems with freedom of speech, freedom of press and corruption. Which makes only 2 countries of the old USSR that have "made it": Lithuania and Estonia, and let me tell you, even those have inner demons to battle. Still. 21 years after the beast was slain.

You can't turn time back, the pain that was caused doesn't disappear just because the entity that caused it ceases to exist. Particularly if a large part of that pain consisted of thoroughly brainwashing the populace.
Well, they shouldn't have killed Stevan.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Okay first off, the Hunger Games were THE BEST books I read in 2010 - bar NONE. Fast paced, new ideas, hard topics, and an ending that did not succumb to typical YA ideals (think Twilight). They're so short it's worth your time.
Totally missed this first time round! Thanks for the recommendation
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
I am.

the end... see, it's not the end, really - and that's the heartwrenchingly sad part. You see that when you look at what's been happening in Russia since the early '90s, first the euphoric hope and freedom, then the ever-increasing fear of instability, resulting in the return of oppression. Not in all parts of the old USSR, true, but in the vast majority: Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan & Armenia (though, to a lesser extent), Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Kyryzstan... Even out of the 4 the ones that are considered "free" now, Latvia and Georgia have serious problems with freedom of speech, freedom of press and corruption. Which makes only 2 countries of the old USSR that have "made it": Lithuania and Estonia, and let me tell you, even those have inner demons to battle. Still. 21 years after the beast was slain.

You can't turn time back, the pain that was caused doesn't disappear just because the entity that caused it ceases to exist. Particularly if a large part of that pain consisted of thoroughly brainwashing the populace.
You're right, of course. Again. But also again, that's what I love about his books. You know life goes on afterwards. Maybe not a perfect life, and maybe not an especially happy one, but they're never the sort of endings where you're left completely satisfied, and I like that better than having all of my loose ends tied up for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
DON'T SPOIL IT! Sheesh! Also, ugh.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara
Tigana
Tigana is set in the 'Peninsula of the Palm' a land evocative of Italy, in a world with two moons. Two sorcerors, one a petty lordling from Barbadior, the other the king of Ygrath, have come to the Peninsula from overseas, intent on conquest. Brandin, King of Ygrath, wants to carve out a realm for his beloved younger son, Stevan. Having conquered three of the nine provinces of the Palm, he sends Stevan to subjugate the next province whilst he faces Alberico, the other conqueror. Stevan is killed in battle by the people of that last province. Brandin, in bitterest grief, and in revenge against the people who killed his son, lays a curse on that province. After sweeping down and destroying the remnants of their army, burning their books and destroying their architecture and statuary, he makes it so that no one not born in that province can even hear its name. Tigana is a story of the struggle for identity and freedom in the face of brutal oppression.
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93

DON'T SPOIL IT! Sheesh! Also, ugh.

LOL...huh?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
and...

LOL...huh?
Well, shit. LOL I had meant to add a smilie there and forgot, but good thing you've got a sense of humour...LOL

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

"Prince of Nothing" series R. Scott Bakker. It's the type of fantasy that rewards careful reading. Very high literary quality.
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

Just finished David Anthony Durham's The War with the Mein today.

It was very enjoyable, it starts off as the story of four children who are the Heirs to the Acacia Empire - which spans the known world. The book then makes a few jumps through time from their childhood into adulthood against the backdrop of a major War.

It starts pretty flat with your usual cutout characters 'army man' and 'prince boy'. But it makes a nice and surprising turn for the better one hundred or so pages in.

What is even better - when I logged onto goodreads earlier to mark it read, I noticed that there are two more books in the story!

It works very well as a stand-alone story, but there are hints at something bigger. If you don't like it you can abandon the book after that first story, no harm no foul.

I'm personally excited to see it continue!

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

beidh mo chlaíomh onóir na marbh.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajoran View Post
Just finished David Anthony Durham's The War with the Mein today.

It was very enjoyable, it starts off as the story of four children who are the Heirs to the Acacia Empire - which spans the known world. The book then makes a few jumps through time from their childhood into adulthood against the backdrop of a major War.

It starts pretty flat with your usual cutout characters 'army man' and 'prince boy'. But it makes a nice and surprising turn for the better one hundred or so pages in.

What is even better - when I logged onto goodreads earlier to mark it read, I noticed that there are two more books in the story!

It works very well as a stand-alone story, but there are hints at something bigger. If you don't like it you can abandon the book after that first story, no harm no foul.

I'm personally excited to see it continue!
I just finished that series. You are in for some big surprises with the second book. While enjoyable I thought the final book didn't quite hold up to the first two. Bit of a miss considering the potential it had but still much better than alot of what is out there.
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora