art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Elder

AbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant futureAbbeyRoad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf
I don't know if he can*, but Moridin's arguement seems flawed to me. Its like saying that death is certain for everyone but why sign up for death now?
Moridin's seems to be a pure nihilist. Given an infinite number of turnings, the ability of the DO to win, and the immortality of the DO, the Light will lose eventually. If you view life in WoT as an eternal war between the DO (+ his forces) and everyone else, no matter how long the war lasts eventually mankind will lose it. It is a statistical inevitability. Therefore, according to Moridin, why struggle eternally to fight a war that is impossible to win? It's not dying that is the problem; everyone dies and is reborn. The problem is that no matter how long you fight, you can never win. Therefore, there is no point in fighting since the only reason for performing an action is the ability to elicit change, which is only possible for the DO in the context of the war. So, why not live a few thousand years doing whatever the hell you want and, as ZS said, end the war now rather than fight it for thousands more years and lose it later. If the DO is the only one who can win, it is in your best interest (according to Moridin) to help the DO as best you can and hope that he might be merciful (even if he is most likely not).

Rand's rebuttal was his VoG epiphany, where he thought that even if you can't win the war, living as long as you can is important in and of itself because life is precious (or something to that effect).

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I ever met."
Abraham Lincoln

Draw a crazy picture, write a nutty poem. Sing a mumble-gumble song, whistle through your comb. Do a loony-goony dance 'cross the kitchen floor. Put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.