art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): Anonymous,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 01-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Less imagination than it takes to make Lanfear work.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajoran View Post
As you say, it doesn't matter that this actually says 'Lanfear, she walks again' because moons are in the night as well... but did Gawyn break her legs too?
Egwene would be enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Which ancient war does Tuon fight in?
Take your pick.
Hawkwing's war of conquest.
Hawkwing's war against Tar Valon.
Hawkwing's war against the Shadow.

Quote:
Could indeed mean Mat - but who is Tuon's old lover as the quote implies - also, is Mat coming up for another death?
Valan Luca. And Mat hadn't died, yet, when this prophecy was published.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Valan Luca.
Selucia.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael
Default Lanfear

Quote:
Daughter of the night, she walks again.
Mierin took the name "Lanfear" when she went over to the Shadow. It means "Daughter of the Night". She has just been freed from her prison within the bore, and thus is walking again.

Quote:
The ancient war, she yet fights
The war between Light and Dark, or rather the War of the Power.

Quote:
Her new lover she seeks, who shall serve her and die, yet serve still.
Unfulfilled. The new lover is likely to be Rand, and it is likely he will end up serving her after he dies.

Quote:
Who shall stand against her coming? The Shining Walls shall kneel.
Moiraine stood against her coming, yet was also defeated and captured herself in the process. As an Aes Sedai of Tar Valon, Moiraine represents the Shining Walls, and was brought low by her standing against Lanfear. Also note that Lanfear was able to infiltrate Tar Valon in the guise of both Silvie and Else Grinwell, so the Shining Walls could literally have been made to kneel by that. Also, while the context obviously informs, the single statement "The Shining Walls shall kneel." stands alone. The Shining Walls have knelt both to Rand and to Egwene, and may even kneel to the Seanchan before they're done, but that doesn't have to say anything about the identity of the Daughter of the Night. The part of the prophecy may not even be original; it might just be taken from the Karaethon Cycle which has similar lines about AS kneeling, designed to make the AS present in Fal Dara more uneasy.

Quote:
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Trolloc graffiti, designed to make the prophecy more foreboding, with no special meaning.

One of the difficulties with this prophecy is that the AS are right to an extent when they say it's just designed to frighten; why else scribble it on the wall?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 01-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Egwene would be enough, as far as I'm concerned.
May as well make use of him while he's in the femur shattering mood, I say.

Quote:
Take your pick.
Hawkwing's war of conquest.
Hawkwing's war against Tar Valon.
Hawkwing's war against the Shadow.
She's just about entering all of these wars - she isn't really still fighting them from long ago as the prophecy implies.

Especially not against the Shadow - Trollocs are myths!

Quote:
Valan Luca. And Mat hadn't died, yet, when this prophecy was published.
But he died before he served Tuon?

Ah Valan Luca. The Cape that claimed 1000 women... I have to admit... I tremble a bit when I read about that cape... and those tight...

ahem.

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

beidh mo chlaíomh onóir na marbh.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But he died before he served Tuon?

Ah Valan Luca. The Cape that claimed 1000 women... I have to admit... I tremble a bit when I read about that cape... and those tight...

ahem.
You know, words cannot express how much I despise Valan Luca, and found nearly all of the sections of the books in which he and his slow-moving, plot-dragging circus were involved almost intolerably dull. I find the level of focus now granted to him - as a result of some entertaining but looney theories - both amusing and somewhat grating, given that he is the single character I would most like to see die horribly. At Shayol Ghul. Saving the world.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Youngling

Dajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant futureDajoran has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
You know, words cannot express how much I despise Valan Luca, and found nearly all of the sections of the books in which he and his slow-moving, plot-dragging circus were involved almost intolerably dull. I find the level of focus now granted to him - as a result of some entertaining but looney theories - both amusing and somewhat grating, given that he is the single character I would most like to see die horribly. At Shayol Ghul. Saving the world.
Twice dawns the day his theatrical blood is shed.

"Saighdiúirí, a ullmhú marcra chun pas a fháil ar aghaidh! Ar aghaidh an Gharda Chroí! Ar aghaidh! Chun an tOnórach an Iolar Dearg! An Iolar Dearg!"

Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Elder

Quote:
Twice dawns the day his theatrical blood is shed.
New theory on the twice dawning day: they do it with mirrors.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:33 AM
Youngling

Quote:
New theory on the twice dawning day: they do it with mirrors.
And illuminators - Aludra's fireworks for the first dawn!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Elder

sleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond reputesleepinghour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You say that like it hasn't already been foreshadowed for years! "Red on black" undoubtedly refers to Luca's red cape fluttering over the rocks of Shayol Ghul.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Elder

Toss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I've always thought some of the funniest parts of the series involved Valan Luca, especially the ones with Mat.

- Luca's spiel after the town sinks into the ground. Some of the notable funny parts include how he looks at the children and Mat knows he is visualizing them as hungry; how Luca claims he will hire ships to carry them all to Tar Valon; how he makes Lugard sound grand and Mat's pov concerning what he's heard about the city.

-Luca's rant after meeting with the town fathers of that one village. How he complains to Mat that country folk are all thieves and scoundrels.

-Luca grabbing two horse handlers and setting off after Nynaeve when he thinks someone took her.

-Luca's interaction with the Seanchan Bannerman.

-Mat's opinion on Luca's cape and wagon.

-Luca's loony dance when he learns they can leave when Merrilin returns.

-Luca throwing Nynaeve's "bloody penny" after her on the road. It can lie there until Tarmon Gaidon for all he cares.

-How Luca would help kidnap the Dark One for gold. And he probably would.

-That Luca never talked about what he would do when he retired. Because he would keep doing it until he fell over dead in the middle of a show, with as many people in attendance as possible.

-Luca's overall flair and flourishes, his manner and demeanor. Either he's so fake its actually funny, or he's dead serious and that makes it okay. He's a showman, either way.

There's quite a few more. It's not that I just love Valan Luca, maybe it's more that I like the people he interacts with in the books, and/or I like the situation. He does bring some comedy relief to the table, though.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Elder

I am just utterly unmoved by any of it. maybe it's because I was in the performing arts mysekf, and the people like Luca are generally arseholes ratger than likeable, bumbling fools. I always found Mat a far greater source of humour.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

I'm surprised noone has suggested his burned-off hand wasn't actually siphoned into a box of lube later, for someone to randomly touch and regrow a second Rand from.
Quick! Someone chop off his other hand so the girls don't have to share!

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Youngling

final death will become famous soon enough

I don't think that dark prophecies need necessarily come true in this age or even this turning. It is possible we are looking at the dark prophecies in to short a term.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by final death View Post
I don't think that dark prophecies need necessarily come true in this age or even this turning.
Brandon says that they are valid, and I really, really doubt they'd stretch the meaning of 'is' that far.