art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Youngling

LadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to LadyFiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Both of these covers seem more fitting for Sci-Fi than for Fantasy.
That was my first thought as well. They wouldn't be bad at all as sci-fi covers. Maybe publishers/artists in France don't distinguish between the two? I thought it kind of looked like a pod racer engine. Maybe it's supposed to be from one of the dreams where they are running around a bizarre landscape with impossible architecture.

"Daddy, do bad people go to St. Louis?"
~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Both of these covers seem more fitting for Sci-Fi than for Fantasy. This one looks like the artist decided to turn the wheel into a battlestar, with a second battlestar-wheel strangely in the background falling apart. I'd almost hazard that perhaps those things were supposed to be seals, and one in the background then is a broken seal, with the DO's taint oozing out of the seal?
True enough, though often the line between sci-fi and fantasy is blurred, like in the AoL, where there seems to be a correlation between highly developed op usage and highly developed tech.

I'd venture to guess that the covers are meant to be entirely symbolic - the turning of the Wheel, disintegrating society from what it was, to what it is, and in the process, bringing madness.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Youngling

LadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really niceLadyFiona is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to LadyFiona

Symbolic? Probably.

Wheel? Eh...not so sure. The base of it is round, but it looks more like the broken off top of a cathedral or other gothic building than anything else I can think of.

"Daddy, do bad people go to St. Louis?"
~Annabel, 5 years old
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFiona View Post
Symbolic? Probably.

Wheel? Eh...not so sure. The base of it is round, but it looks more like the broken off top of a cathedral or other gothic building than anything else I can think of.
Cathedrals and other buildings can be exceptionally beautiful in the prime of their construction. That's an accurate portrayal what the modern age of Randland is, I'd say... the once beautiful Age of Legends, gone to ruin, with only a few remnants and wonders of what was, left behind.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by eht slat meit View Post

I'd venture to guess that the covers are meant to be entirely symbolic - the turning of the Wheel, disintegrating society from what it was, to what it is, and in the process, bringing madness.
Of what is the other symbolic?

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
Of what is the other symbolic?
Already mentioned, I think, but I'd say that's the artist's rendition of the Vitruvian Man, with the added dimension of the (atomic) Power at what might be OP Ground Zero.

In other words Rand bathed in the power, preparing to take on the DO, the land around him bathed in the fallout of that power.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Quote:
In other words Rand bathed in the power, preparing to take on the DO, the land around him bathed in the fallout of that power.
Is being bathed in the Power anything like being bathed in the Light?

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
Is being bathed in the Power anything like being bathed in the Light?
*clad in the Light?

Not just for female Aes Sedai anymore, I guess.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:36 AM
Elder

Quote:
*clad in the Light?

Not just for female Aes Sedai anymore, I guess.
Dithered between "clad" and "bathed"... makes you wonder as to the difference. Clad seems like you are just sort of naked and it's not too important, bathed sounds like you're reveling in your nudity.

(Apologies about the inanity of recent posts; I was apparently stressed enough for my pills to stop working 3 weeks ago, so I am in a puddle of hormones, eating licorice, and watching cheesy movies (hello, "Salaam Namaste"...). I will be fluffy for a few more days yet. (I'M SO FLUFFY.))

Selective Necrophiliac