art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/2010 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Ancient

Verin Mathwin is a splendid one to beholdVerin Mathwin is a splendid one to beholdVerin Mathwin is a splendid one to beholdVerin Mathwin is a splendid one to beholdVerin Mathwin is a splendid one to beholdVerin Mathwin is a splendid one to beholdVerin Mathwin is a splendid one to beholdVerin Mathwin is a splendid one to beholdVerin Mathwin is a splendid one to behold

I've been here for like 8 years and I didn't even know there was a Theoryland News and Stuff board...
Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verin Mathwin View Post
I've been here for like 8 years and I didn't even know there was a Theoryland News and Stuff board...
So it was news to you?
That proves that it works. Truth in advertising, and all that.

However, I must admit that I'm starting to get a bit curious now about the logical nature of "stuff". And, perhaps more relevant, what kind of things it would not be logical at all to classify as "stuff".
Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

When does something stop being a "thing" and instead qualify as "stuff"? That sort of thing/stuff?

Yes, there is a sort of plural nature to "stuff"... but when does that enter into it? When do "things" become "stuff"?

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
That is because you are a troll. You saw it not in terms of logic, but in terms of doing something to piss people off. The very definition of trolling, despite your pretense of confusion.
If I am guilty of feigning anything, it’s remorse. But I’m not. I am sorry, if not very.

Frankly, the reaction of others was far from my mind. So I’m inconsiderate too. And I never would have thought posting a thread in the wrong category would be enough to ‘piss people off’. If that was my goal, I’d probably be far more blunt and extreme.

In any case: I’m over my bout of homesickness, and my girlfriend is back from visiting her sociopathic mother. Still having trouble sleeping, but oh well. And:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
So it was news to you?
That proves that it works. Truth in advertising, and all that.

However, I must admit that I'm starting to get a bit curious now about the logical nature of "stuff". And, perhaps more relevant, what kind of things it would not be logical at all to classify as "stuff".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
When does something stop being a "thing" and instead qualify as "stuff"? That sort of thing/stuff?

Yes, there is a sort of plural nature to "stuff"... but when does that enter into it? When do "things" become "stuff"?
…this thread has become quite entertaining, so au revoir boredom.

Although…while I would love to debate Things v. Stuff (Things FTW!)…
Does no one have a list? I thought this would be fun. I think we did something like this before (and in the Welcome forum, of all places. We used to be able to get away with murder). Felix started it off, iirc. I’ll look for a link.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
(Things FTW!)…
Thing it!

And if you're having trouble figuring that one out, then you can consider that proof that stuff is superior.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

'Things' is discrete, 'stuff' is continuous.

As for 'Thing it!'...A Bing pun?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never would have thought posting a thread in the wrong category would be enough to ‘piss people off’. If that was my goal, I’d probably be far more blunt and extreme.
I'm crotchety about putting things in the right categories. I get annoyed when people post fanfic in anywhere other than the fanfic forum. I don't like it when non-wot discussion takes over in the WoT-forum and I get a twitch when somebody posts 6 new threads, each with a different amusing anecdote within 4 minutes of each other.

Occupational habit, I guess.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Thing it!

And if you're having trouble figuring that one out, then you can consider that proof that stuff is superior.
To play devil's advocate, I'd prefer an object of unknown name to not be airless.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
I'm crotchety about putting things in the right categories. I get annoyed when people post fanfic in anywhere other than the fanfic forum. I don't like it when non-wot discussion takes over in the WoT-forum and I get a twitch when somebody posts 6 new threads, each with a different amusing anecdote within 4 minutes of each other.

Occupational habit, I guess.
I find I can't remember your occupation and can't BEGIN to figure it out from the clues above.

And Unreasoner, I find your list of possible questions pretty funny, actually.
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiverswoman View Post
I find I can't remember your occupation and can't BEGIN to figure it out from the clues above.

By education historian, but working in an office. The last 3 months i've been trying to develop a functioning filing/archiving/reference system for my project while lots of people dislike any change at all from the current maelstrom of inefficiency. Just on principle.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
By education historian, but working in an office. The last 3 months i've been trying to develop a functioning filing/archiving/reference system for my project while lots of people dislike any change at all from the current maelstrom of inefficiency. Just on principle.
Did you ever look at Sharepoint? Personally, I think its awesome for that type of shared filing.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Mistress of Novices

Zaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud ofZaela Sedai has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Zaela Sedai Send a message via MSN to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Yahoo to Zaela Sedai Send a message via Skype™ to Zaela Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Did you ever look at Sharepoint? Personally, I think its awesome for that type of shared filing.
My life revolves around SharePoints ... oft times way too many of them.

But used correctly, a VERY useful form of sharing anything in the office world.

The One, the Original, the ONLY Z
Beware of impostors

In Brandon We Trust
This TL Siren is bonded to Pops, XX, DaiShan and DeiwosTheSkyGod. Allied with Seeker and Guarded by Hopper
General of the Western Border, Valkyrie of the Autumn Storm, Destined Fury
Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela Sedai View Post
My life revolves around SharePoints ... oft times way too many of them.

But used correctly, a VERY useful form of sharing anything in the office world.
We have a version of it, however it was set up (a couple of months before I got this job) with a lot of redundancy and there's very little visibility in what people actually do. So I made some spreadsheets to see who's using what and where, and then I made a new setup to consolidate the whole thing into more logical, concise and yet flexible system... but people dislike change.

whatever. They'll do what I want eventually. I'm very good at wearing people down. It may take some more time though.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

I think the Unreasoner unknowingly figured out Demandred's location though! He's inside Egwene, which would account for treating Gawyn like crap!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

You lot are fab.

Misery certainly does love company.

<plops down in her spot on the ESC>
Old 03-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiverswoman View Post
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupusdeusest View Post
To play devil's advocate, I'd prefer an object of unknown name to not be airless.
Uhh...care to explain to those of us in the intellectual nosebleed section?

And:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
Does no one have a list? I thought this would be fun. I think we did something like this before (and in the Welcome forum, of all places. We used to be able to get away with murder). Felix started it off, iirc. I’ll look for a link.
Here.