art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (3): tevarttelli, uausnaughbroo, aalcazarwilb,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > Brandon Sanderson
User Name
Password

Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khestra View Post
Vin was a teenager finally allowed to be a girl. Ellend's thrust into a position of power he's not totally prepared for. I think they're entitled to a little angst, as is the text.
Of course they're entitled to a bit of angst...it just went a tad overboard at times.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khestra View Post
Vin was a teenager finally allowed to be a girl. Ellend's thrust into a position of power he's not totally prepared for. I think they're entitled to a little angst, as is the text.
I guess, but I don't have to like it.

Finished with the Mistborn trilogy now. Overall I liked it. Alloy of Law sounds interesting, but I think I'll wait and read other stuff before I start with that one.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Last edited by Mort; 12-01-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

The amount of angst in Mistborn is nothing compared to the levels of whiny prattle foisted on us by Rand alone in the first 12.5 books.

The Scooby-Doo happy ending, though, was a bit odd.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 12-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Ancient

DaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant futureDaiShan1981 has a brilliant future

I'm surprised at the opinions of tWoK. I thought the whole thing was excellent, and would rate it with the best (fantasy) novels I've read. Possibly the best. I read it once, and then another time straight after. Might read it again, now that I'm thinking about it.

I liked Mistborn a lot (including the ending), but I'm just a sucker for the epic scope of WoT, aSoIaF and now tWoK/The Stormlight Archives. As far as the ending of Mistborn goes, I wouldn't be too surprised if there is some resonance of it in the ending of WoT (the two powers, miraculous world healing etc). But I've been out of the hardcore theorizing for a while so I could be way off.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
The amount of angst in Mistborn is nothing compared to the levels of whiny prattle foisted on us by Rand alone in the first 12.5 books.

The Scooby-Doo happy ending, though, was a bit odd.
what Scooby-Doo happy ending?

Spoiler:
the main characters died... EVERYBODY died, pretty much

rather agree with you about WoT-angst vs. Mistborn-angst. Teenagery-angst-wise, WoT trumps Mistborn.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Elder

Sukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to behold

***Possible Spoiler alert***

I don't know why people think the Mistborn ending was so bad. It ended with the wrong being set right. That's a pretty typical style of ending. And now there's an entirely new world for Brandon to write about.

I haven't read a huge number of different Fantasy authors, but out of the ones I have read, Sanderson has included the greatest variety of fantasy. Especially when it comes to the genre's most defining characteristic: magic. He has convincingly developed multiple systems of magic that haven't been seen before. His creativity, for me, has been like a nice breath of fresh air. A lot like WoT was when I first started reading it all those years ago.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

I think it's strange that the bad guy in Mistborn would be named after the supreme writing instrument for an engineer.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)