art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
3) why on earth do the readers have to "work their way in" until book 6 (!!!!) to get to like the stuff?

pompous ass, is what he is.
Funny...I liked GotM right away, and didn't mind the challenge not knowing who was who or what, in general, was going on. I guess I must be in the tiny minority.

Most readers loved the Chain of Dogs storyline, but it wasn't my favorite. I also found it implausible and Coltaine far too one-dimensional (if not completely uninteresting). I was much more taken by the Bridgeburners scenes and with Icarium/Mappo.

Since you're not like most readers, you might not find that the third book is amazing and stupendous and the best book since writing was invented. I don't think that at all, but I do think it took the series to a new level of (good) complexity and excitement.

If you can make it through Book 4 (which was the weakest, IMO, despite that I enjoyed the first part more than the average reader), you might get hooked.

LOL And if you just make it through Book 9...
Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
Funny...I liked GotM right away, and didn't mind the challenge not knowing who was who or what, in general, was going on. I guess I must be in the tiny minority.

Most readers loved the Chain of Dogs storyline, but it wasn't my favorite. I also found it implausible and Coltaine far too one-dimensional (if not completely uninteresting). I was much more taken by the Bridgeburners scenes and with Icarium/Mappo.

Since you're not like most readers, you might not find that the third book is amazing and stupendous and the best book since writing was invented. I don't think that at all, but I do think it took the series to a new level of (good) complexity and excitement.

If you can make it through Book 4 (which was the weakest, IMO, despite that I enjoyed the first part more than the average reader), you might get hooked.

LOL And if you just make it through Book 9...
meh. I really didn't mind the confusion. I've started a series from book 4, and then 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 for crissakes. I mind the blithe... sort of... "let's pretend no-one cares about anything and nothing hurts at all. Oh, and let's constantly write ourselves into a corner and then provide a deus ex machina to get the story going again" I don't even mind the timeline issues - we're talking about magic, time can definitely be flexible. It's just... one battle after another and he gets through it by the skin of his teeth, and then gets an even mightier foe and even crappier situation but oh look out of nowhere help comes and they get through by the skin of their teeth but oh look, an even worse situation comes and there's no way out and then they all escape and almost survive but they don't survive but they survive (but maybe never to be seen again on screen). and they don't care either which way because it's all "bigger than themselves" and whatnot. blahdiblahdiblah.

I think I'll keep reading so I can keep complaining though

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

I just pretty much figured Coltaine was using his powers(him being an ascendant and all) to boost his troops. sorta like an aura of awesome

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
It's just... one battle after another and he gets through it by the skin of his teeth, and then gets an even mightier foe and even crappier situation but oh look out of nowhere help comes and they get through by the skin of their teeth but oh look, an even worse situation comes and there's no way out and then they all escape and almost survive but they don't survive but they survive (but maybe never to be seen again on screen). and they don't care either which way because it's all "bigger than themselves" and whatnot. blahdiblahdiblah.

I think I'll keep reading so I can keep complaining though
Wow. You're going to love the rest of the books. Just wait till you meet Karsa.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future

I just got Orb, Sceptre, Throne(the new Malazan book by ICE) today.

only read a few pages, but it looks like it's going to be a great trip back to Darujhistan.

I also figured out why I like the Malazan books so much. it's the lack of one major bigbad.

I know you got the Crippled God, but he doesn't have the same role as the DO for example. and not every scheme or story in the Malazan books are either for or against the CG.

just makes the world feel bigger in a way

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 01-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

I just read the Prologue on the web. It won't be released in the States till May or something. Glad to hear to sounds good.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

I have always ordered my Malazan books (after the first 2) through Amazon UK because the release dates in the US were YEARS behind.

For some odd reason, they ship out of a bookstore in New York or Indiana and are cheaper than the US versions. I accidentally ordered two of the same book once, the customer service was great and said return it, no problem. I didn't--I forwarded on to someone from TL. Bela? You SDog? I don't remember. The covers are different than the US releases, the books are different sizes too. But you get it early

go here then click the link on the right that says "more buying choices" than scan the list for NEW and where they originate. I see Indiana listed.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

I'm actually behind on my WoT reread, plus have another book in the queue that was written by the husband of my wife's co-worker. In other words, I can wait till May. I think I'll end up buying Stonewielder and OST on my Kindle.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

finished OST on the train this Friday

gotta say the ending did feel a bit rushed, but he managed to get the "Malazan feeling" correct.

which of course means I almost OD'd on bittersweetness near the end

one weird thing in this book though:

Spoiler:
K'rul is suddenly a woman?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I'm not reading the thread, to avoid spoilers. But an interesting person dropped by the Malazan chat room yesterday, and I thought some of you might enjoy reading this transcript.