art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
there's nothing prudish about that era or area. rather the opposite...

But I guess it makes sense seeing as Andor ~ England -> Cairhien ~ France.
It has more to do with the "Sun Throne", Sun King, lazy nobility that throws a bunch of parties and manuevers for power when there really isnt any, etc etc...and the Andor=England parallel.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
It has more to do with the "Sun Throne", Sun King, lazy nobility that throws a bunch of parties and manuevers for power when there really isnt any, etc etc...and the Andor=England parallel.
yeah, I know. It's just that there's nothing somber or dark about France. It's all unabashed flowery heavily gilted sensuality. Even the maneuvering was rarely as deadly/brutal as described in Cairhien...

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Elder

maacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant future

So, Rand has an Irish accent.

"Sure, I'll be heading down Tear way to be getting that wee sword to save the childer. Och, I am the dragon reborn after all".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

If it's El-ay-da, is it Gay-din?
(Ok, a little serious...)

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Youngling

neurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really niceneurotopia is just really nice

I always thought it was e-LIE-ih-da and guy-ih-DEEN
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Here I thought it was:
Ee-lay-da
Guy-den

And for Cairhein, I always imagined them somewhat like the Romans. Deadly politics, short in stature, but with a touch of Samurai (shaved heads on the soldiers).
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Youngling

Ser Pilsner is an unknown quantity at this point

The audiobooks will help with pronunciation and accents. Although I was stubborn, I now pronounce Nynaeve 'Nye-neeve' and Birgitte 'Bir-GEET-ah'

Seanchan do not sound like Texans in the audiobooks. They sound like people talking with their teeth closed. The Trakands sound like the highest class British. A few nationalities sound rough Irish or Scottish. Illianers really don't have a different accent from that, but they do be talkin with a bit different wording (as written).
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 AM
Youngling

McCaber will become famous soon enoughMcCaber will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I always thought Illianers just sounded like the modern interpretation of 16th century pirates.

"Trust me, I'm Captain Bayle Domon!"
Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Youngling

Karak Norn Clansman is on a distinguished road

Texan-speaking Seanchan? Well, I'd never have thought that.

I use to think of Arad Doman as having a French accent and Illian = Italian.