art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future
Default Brandons bits

Any thoughts on which pieces in tGS and ToM that only Mr Sanderson contributed to.

I think the creating of alternative personalities for Talmanes & co that Mat does in tGS (chapter 34 Legends) screams "Brandon".

That bit is so clearly his type of humor.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Youngling

Edynol will become famous soon enoughEdynol will become famous soon enough

I think Chapter 20 of TGS is all Brandon. Mat's discussion with Tlamanes had me rolling. Same with Mat's letting to Elaine.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Elder

Lupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud ofLupusdeusest has much to be proud of

I always look for "bah", "blast", "bother", and "magnificent". There are other hints too.

"Yeah, but obviously the Great Serpent doesn't have an actual corpse which would be of any help in strangling Rand al'Thor; for a start, if there was an actual serpent encircling the world, it would be monumentally huge, and trying to strangle someone with it would lead more to a sort of crushing." - Zombie Sammael

Selective Necrophiliac
Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edynol View Post
I think Chapter 20 of TGS is all Brandon. Mat's discussion with Tlamanes had me rolling. Same with Mat's letting to Elaine.
I actually did not care for either as I felt it was out of place.

Also, see any time the word "tempest" is used...that is 100% Brandon. Its basically his favorite word, I mean he uses it approximately 1,234,503,000 times in tWoK.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Also, see any time the word "tempest" is used...that is 100% Brandon.
Yet another theory on the identity of The Author. Oh dear.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Youngling

Swordcrowned is an unknown quantity at this point

When it comes to Mat, I find it relatively easy to discern when it is Brandon and when it was RJ. The humor and the character's attitude is different. Doesn't have the same feeling as it used to. The new Matt seems more on the flavor of Kelsier than he does to the old Matt.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

I'm not sure how Brandon would feel knowing we're having an in-depth discussion of his bits. You know, there's a healthy interest in an author, and then there's going too far...

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 04-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I'm not sure how Brandon would feel knowing we're having an in-depth discussion of his bits. You know, there's a healthy interest in an author, and then there's going too far...
When I started the thread my intentions was to try to identify passages of the books that mr Sanderson did entirely himself, based on content, rather than writing style and choice of words.

The style and words is irrelevant if a scene has been described by RJ since Sanderson writes those with his own words, even though they've been described by RJ.

The sequence I choose was because it seemed like something that a roleplay gamer would put together.

BTW we are all probably wrong.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
When I started the thread my intentions was to try to identify passages of the books that mr Sanderson did entirely himself, based on content, rather than writing style and choice of words.

The style and words is irrelevant if a scene has been described by RJ since Sanderson writes those with his own words, even though they've been described by RJ.

The sequence I choose was because it seemed like something that a roleplay gamer would put together.

BTW we are all probably wrong.
I was getting at the inherent sexual innuendo in the thread title, actually.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Youngling

Quote:
I was getting at the inherent sexual innuendo in the thread title, actually.
Aaaah, the subtleties of the english language that pass you by.

But it's nice to know that you don't have a massive stick up your a... I hear those are painful to remove.

Especially to your ego.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I actually did not care for either as I felt it was out of place.

Also, see any time the word "tempest" is used...that is 100% Brandon. Its basically his favorite word, I mean he uses it approximately 1,234,503,000 times in tWoK.
Ditto, both werte just awful. He has really struggled to capture Mat at times. On top of that there are various places where his prose is just very rough and blunt. Many spots read as if they could have used a few more revisions. I was excited to hear about the delay of aMoL in order to get things right.
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora
Old 04-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
Aaaah, the subtleties of the english language that pass you by.

But it's nice to know that you don't have a massive stick up your a... I hear those are painful to remove.

Especially to your ego.
Hahaha... I did think that maybe you weren't a natural English speaker and it had slipped by you, but I felt it was too good to pass up.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Truthfully, I don't WANT to know. One of the reasons that I have held off from reading A Way of Kings or anything else he's written is that I would like to be able to enjoy WoT without wondering about the "voice" behind the words.

While I actually disagree with the idea that he hasn't been able to capture Mat (among others), I do think it's a subjective thing. To each his (or her) own, but I'm very happy with the way things have gone so far...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 04-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Youngling

Grig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant futureGrig has a brilliant future

Quote:
While I actually disagree with the idea that he hasn't been able to capture Mat (among others)
Heh, Sanderson agrees that with Hinderstrap he didn't really capture Mat. ToM was much better, though, even the parts that weren't written by Jordan. That said, though, I figured that the ToG sequence was mostly Jordan even before Sanderson said as much (well, inside the Tower...the scene right after felt a bit different, which makes sense -- Jordan had been planning the Tower part for some time, and likely had it written, but Sanderson needed to make it attach to the rest), it was hilarious that people were saying that part felt off.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Elder

Jonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud ofJonai has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Jonai Send a message via AIM to Jonai Send a message via MSN to Jonai Send a message via Skype™ to Jonai

Brandon might have read this thread. Bro reads the interwebs. I hate to say what dav said, but yeah...tempest. Also words that are somewhat odd to the WoT universe, such as referring to ajah quarters as "sectors." People have used workaday as an example but...RJ used to word in CoT. Ya'll got me thinking about Thom saying lad more than scrooge Mcduck in tGS, though tbh, I was juicy as a fiddler on sunday on bandy for most of tGS.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:40 AM
Elder

My feeling with Mat is that Sanderson captures him quite brilliantly, but in a different way than Jordan. That isn't a bad thing - Brandon Sanderson isn't supposed to be Robert Jordan, he's supposed to be the best person who isn't RJ to finish the series. He's allowed to put his own spin on things, at least in my opinion. Mat is just the most obvious of those things.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Youngling

Swordcrowned is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My feeling with Mat is that Sanderson captures him quite brilliantly, but in a different way than Jordan. That isn't a bad thing - Brandon Sanderson isn't supposed to be Robert Jordan, he's supposed to be the best person who isn't RJ to finish the series. He's allowed to put his own spin on things, at least in my opinion. Mat is just the most obvious of those things.
I wouldn't use the word brilliantly, but I do agree that Sanderson does a very good job capturing Mat. I think he is doing a great job with all the characters, and I am happy that someone like him is able to complete the series. Just because you can tell the difference between his writing and Jordans writing doesn't really make a difference. They are both great authors, and just the fact that the story is being completed makes me happy.