art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Now that's a co-habitational nightmare! I only have to deal with paintball guns on my side of the bed (really? why????) and other random paintball gear in wierd places in the house (monster mask in the kitchen?).
6 keyboards, a cupboard full of cables, soldering gear where the (computer) mouse should be...

But none of that matters because HE does the dishes!

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

LOL. Just to get the thread on topic again

I went to see the Hunger Games. I really liked the movie. I am curious how they will do the other movies and if they will stick to the books. (with all the deaths)
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

I'm personally DYING to see who they cast for Finnick.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm personally DYING to see who they cast for Finnick.
Brad Pitt?

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Barf. It's funny - I read the character the whole way through the series (and Annie, and his mentor whose name I forget) as being Black, and was shocked - like, a lot - to discover they were not.

Conversely, has anyone seen the tumblr showcasing the appalling racist tweets regarding the casting/ race of Rue, Thresh and Cinna? I'd like to say that it's effing unbelievable, but I guess it's not.

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Barf. It's funny - I read the character the whole way through the series (and Annie, and his mentor whose name I forget) as being Black, and was shocked - like, a lot - to discover they were not.

Conversely, has anyone seen the tumblr showcasing the appalling racist tweets regarding the casting/ race of Rue, Thresh and Cinna? I'd like to say that it's effing unbelievable, but I guess it's not.
hmm, I hadn't thought of that. But it would be cool if he were Black.

sadly, I thought casting the Agricultural Slaves (as opposed to Miner Slaves) as Black really... um... stereotypical to use a nice word.

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post

sadly, I thought casting the Agricultural Slaves (as opposed to Miner Slaves) as Black really... um... stereotypical to use a nice word.
Well, the reality is that that District is the Deep South and that part of the US has a very high percentage of African Americans (30-40% in many counties if not higher)...its not racist if its a reality of that region...same with all the coal miners being descended from scotch-irish living in West Virginia.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Seems to me like there really shouldn't be a lot of racial variety, what with all areas not the Capitol basically blasted back into the Stone Age. There's 12 districts, and I get the impression that they're not that large in size. Over the course of however many hundreds of years, they've gotta have homogenized a bit, with some weird racial mix of whatever peoples were in the areas that became the Districts.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

So, is the Hunger Games more Harry Potter or is it more Twilight? By that I mean, is it more engrossing tale that is fantasy but oddly real or is it tween drama?

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
So, is the Hunger Games more Harry Potter or is it more Twilight? By that I mean, is it more engrossing tale that is fantasy but oddly real or is it tween drama?
Its neither. Its a well written YA trilogy..."well written" for YA that is. You should read it.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
It's more science fiction than fantasy, as the more unrealistic elements tend to have scientific explanations for them like mutations. It's also set some centuries in the future of the USA, that dystopia that is mentioned in various reviews. The world in some ways has been blasted back into the stone age and not recovered, yet retains some of the old techno-goodies.

Could be considered fantasy, in that there are heavy overtones of Greek mythology, but Collins does not have RJ's subtlety in using that mythology, and it comes across rather blatant in places.

I found it enjoyable despite being geared to the young adult set, offering the author's personal insights into the nature of war, rebellion and appeasement, as well as less obvious themes. There's a light romance angle that might have been played up in the movie to be more like Twilight, but while it's a fundamental part of the plot, it's not overtly lame or childish like some of those movies might be.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold1Powerslave is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to 1Powerslave Send a message via MSN to 1Powerslave Send a message via Yahoo to 1Powerslave

Quote:

All through the books I had imagined Rue as being white and blond. She was probably mentioned somewhere as being "olive skinned", but I've done that before, missed it that is. She was so often likened with Prim so that is probably where I got white and blond from. I imagined Thresh as black though, and Finnick clearly white and blond.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Powerslave View Post
All through the books I had imagined Rue as being white and blond. She was probably mentioned somewhere as being "olive skinned", but I've done that before, missed it that is. She was so often likened with Prim so that is probably where I got white and blond from. I imagined Thresh as black though, and Finnick clearly white and blond.
Actually, both Rue and Thresh are clearly described, more than once, as "dark skinned." It is Katniss and Gale who are described as olive-skinned and dark-haired. Finnick and Annie must be described in the books, but I can't recall, asie from it being pointed out to me that they were not of colour. Cinna was not described either way, but I thought Kravitz's casting as genius.

I think that Collins was trying to describe a society in which people had significantly bigger things to worry about than race. You're judged by your district, not your race - there is no concept of race anymore, in fact.

I finally saw the movie this weekend and have to say that I loved it. Like, a lot. I had gone in with relatively tempered expectations, having read all your reviews as well as the reviews of some trusted bloggers (chief among them Lainey, gossip blogger and mega-Hunger Games fan), but really felt that it was well done.

The Reaping was BRUTAL to watch, and I didn't feel that the audience needed to know the actual significance of the hand gesture. The fact that the entire district made it when Katniss volunteered was enough, and it rhymed with her gesture to the People of District 11 after Rue's "burial."

I actually felt that Josh Hutchinson did a GREAT job as Peeta - the only time is was less than beleiveable was when they were standing side by side in a way that showed me who was taller.

It's not to say that there weren't flaws (crazy jump cuts) or omissions (the true origin of the mockingjay pin) that may hurt the story going forward, but overall I thought it was really well done, and really hope that they can keep the energy of the franchise going.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

DeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really niceDeiwosTheSkyGod is just really nice

I saw it last week too, and I think I actually liked it more than the book. They really made the most of the fact that it couldn't be told in first person. I thought the behind-the-scenes aspect of the game were great and really drove home how sick our current voyeuristic obsession is.

Jennifer Lawrence was incredible, especially in the Reaping and the immediate aftermath. Her voice when she volunteered really got to me. I thought the actors playing Rue and Peeta did a great job, too.

I wish it had been a little gorier, and that the shaky-cam wasn't used during the District 12 shots. Other than that, no huge complaints.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
It's not to say that there weren't flaws (crazy jump cuts) or omissions (the true origin of the mockingjay pin) that may hurt the story going forward,
I read an article in Entertainment Weekly about some of the missing characters...and the absence of Madge in particular seemed odd. It was not explained past she was an extra character that could easily be trimmed. The signifigance of the mockingjay seems lost...as does the gift by Madge to Katniss as we find out later in the books the very personal reason for it. This one puzzles me. I wondered if it later would be explained in the movies that the pin belonged to someone in Katniss's family.

Still haven't seen the movie, hoping to go this weekend. Or next. Anyone wanna babysit??? Oh, wait, you all are BUSY this weekend. PFFFFT :P
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Not *this* weekend, that's *next* weekend!

It makes you wonder though, how much they'll be able to get into Haymitch's time in the arena without touching on Madge's aunt. Getting the pin from Sal...maybe the origin will be one of her own, but in a District like 12, where everyone knows everyone else's business, would that not have been common knowledge?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Not *this* weekend, that's *next* weekend!

D'OH!!!!

That gives me another 5 days to try to get my schedule in order. I am still trying to come, but my week is packed and rescheduling client shit is ridiculously improper apparently in the business world.

Of course getting my hubby to take care of the H-Train ALONE for 3-4 days is not exactly a piece of cake either, but I am OWED at this point!!
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 04-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Oh, how awesome would THAT be? (SO SUPER AWESOME!!!!)

Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Saw the movie yesterday. I liked it for some great visuals that brought some key scenes of the book to life, but didn't care for some of the changes/omissions and the seizure inducing filming of some of the fight scenes. And Donald Sutherland looked like a ornery Santa Claus, not an evil political leader. Maybe if he appeared in holographic mode only...

4/5 stars though

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon