art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Youngling

Nei is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The safety of Tar Valon

Since it's the last book that's coming, I've decided to start a serious re-read. Previously I did my re-reads from like, book 3 onwards (when Mat is not being creepy dagger-possessed and kicks even more arse). I also decided to do something a little different, cause I normally read NS after TFoH. This time I started with NS and now go on to EoTW.

[Funnily enough, EoTW is one of my 'YMMV' books and is really the biggest hurdle to cross getting into the series. I like some parts of it, but other parts (like the weird Old Tongue exchanges and greetings at Fal Moran) appear unwieldy and you never see it done again cause you got the feeling the RJ sat back after it and read it himself after it was published then thought 'yeah, let's not do that again'.]

With that fresh in my mind, it comes to me as slightly strange that Moiraine would suggest taking the Two Rivers boys to Tar Valon at all.

Even with Siuan as the Amyrlin, Tar Valon is an incredibly unsafe place to be and they both know it. After all, their own adventure became all the more urgent when it became clear that the Black Ajah was involved.

I can't help but wonder what she and Siuan decided to do once they brought the boys there because I'm pretty sure even Tamra's original plan to find the reborn Dragon was followed by the plan to sequester him somewhere totally isolated and away from the prying eyes of the world until he was of a more suitable age.

Not forgetting that for nearly 20 years, they did not know any other sister they could trust; and they generally only managed to figure out who was trust worthy after the person was dead (i.e. Tamra's chosen and even then I think Tamra got lucky)

I guess writing wise, we could make a guess that it was a kind of later book ret-con or something :/ but it would be nice if we had some idea of what they planned to do.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

You're not wrong - Tar Valon would have been a dangerous hotbed of danger.

But, I don't think the plan was to announce that one of the 3 new boys at the Tower was the Dragon Reborn. Maybe the plan was to get them there and under Aes Sedai influence, and then train them up to be Warders until they were able to figure out which of the 3 it was? That way there would have been lots of time for book learning and diplomacy as well...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei View Post
With that fresh in my mind, it comes to me as slightly strange that Moiraine would suggest taking the Two Rivers boys to Tar Valon at all.

Even with Siuan as the Amyrlin, Tar Valon is an incredibly unsafe place to be and they both know it. After all, their own adventure became all the more urgent when it became clear that the Black Ajah was involved.

I can't help but wonder what she and Siuan decided to do once they brought the boys there because I'm pretty sure even Tamra's original plan to find the reborn Dragon was followed by the plan to sequester him somewhere totally isolated and away from the prying eyes of the world until he was of a more suitable age.
A brief description of their original plan (and why it fell apart) is given in TGH:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
The Great Hunt, Ch. 5 - The Shadow in Shienar

"We had a plan! A plan, Moiraine! Locate the boy and bring him to Tar Valon, where we could hide him, keep him safe and guide him. Since you left the Tower, I have had only two messages from you. Two! I feel as if I'm trying to sail the Fingers of the Dragon in the dark. One message to say you were entering the Two Rivers, going to this village, this Emond's Field. Soon, I thought. He's found, and she'll have him in hand soon. Then word from Caemlyn to say you were coming to Shienar, to Fal Dara, not Tar Valon. Fal Dara, with the Blight almost close enough to touch. Fal Dara, where Trollocs raid and Myrddraal ride as near every day as makes no difference. Nearly twenty years of planning and searching, and you toss all our plans practically in the Dark One's face. Are you mad?"

Now that she had stirred life in the other woman, Moiraine returned to outward calm, herself. Calm, but firm insistence, too. "The Pattern pays no heed to human plans, Siuan. With all our scheming, we forgot what we were dealing with. Ta'veren. Elaida is wrong. Artur Paendrag Tanreall was never this strongly ta'veren. The Wheel will weave the Pattern around this young man as it wills, whatever our plans."

The anger left Amyrlin's face, replaced by white-faced shock. "It sounds as if you are saying we might as well give up. Do you now suggest standing aside and watching the world burn?"

"No, Siuan. Never standing aside." Yet the world will burn, Siuan, one way or another, whatever we do. You could never see that. "But we must now realize that our plans are precarious things. We have even less control than we thought. Perhaps only a fingernail's grip. The winds of destiny are blowing, Siuan, and we must ride them where they take us."
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Youngling

Nei is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah but you could hardly hide the poor kid once he starts channeling. Plus don't forget how strongly Ta'Veren they all are. The Reds know exactly what to look out for in a channeling man and the Blacks would've soon be on the look out for once birds started crashing into each other and people started spontaneously getting married en masse and all those other delightful things.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nei View Post
Yeah but you could hardly hide the poor kid once he starts channeling. Plus don't forget how strongly Ta'Veren they all are. The Reds know exactly what to look out for in a channeling man and the Blacks would've soon be on the look out for once birds started crashing into each other and people started spontaneously getting married en masse and all those other delightful things.
Plus the fact that there are more Blacks amongst the Red Ajah than any other gives the Shadow an even greater advantage. In fairness to Moiraine and Siuan, they didn't necessarily know or have reason to suspect that though. The problem with the BA is that while less sneaky than they would have liked to be - they were unable to prevent rumours of their existence slipping out, or one or two Aes Sedai discovering them - they were still very sneaky, perhaps thanks to their evil oaths, and were able to conceal most of the details of their existence from the general public. You could say Moiraine and Siuan ought to act out of an abundance of caution and not take them to TV where they knew there to be powerful Darkfriends, but against that is the fact that there are likely to be powerful DFs anywhere else, and the relative difficulty of protecting them might have been greater off of their home territory; as for anywhere else that might have been considered home ground, Cairhien is a terrible idea for obvious reasons, Tear has prohibitions on AS entering, and Caemlyn was under the thumb of Elaida, who they had little reason to trust. It could be suggested that Tar Valon was simply the least bad option.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Youngling

Boli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Plus the fact that there are more Blacks amongst the Red Ajah than any other gives the Shadow an even greater advantage.
Proportion wise?... maybe slightly but unlikely, but the red Ajah is by far the biggest Ajah in the tower so for sheer numbers they would outnumber the others in black sisters as well as normal ones.

It is just they are often full of men-hating but light-sided women which distorts the issue... even Egwene's new keeper hates men :P
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

A problem which Siuan and Moiraine do not seem to have contemplated is what they'd do after they got the DR safely in the WT. Assuming, of course, that they could manage that.

But if he is there, then how is he going to go out and do all the things Prophecy requires him to do?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Plus the fact that there are more Blacks amongst the Red Ajah than any other ...
The last analysis I recall showed a very slight proportionate edge for the Read, but that was two books back, or so, and I don't recall any more reds in the spate of BA sisters revealed in the last two books. I think a new analysis with all the newly exposed BA might show a more balanced percentage, with the Red's proportional edge wiped out.

As Boli points out, the Red Ajah would naturally have a numeric advantage simply because it is the biggest Ajah but I haven't seen any evidence that a Red sister is statistically more likely to be BA than any other Ajah.

One other point to consider, though: The Red Ajah did have BA in its highest position(s) -- Galina was Ajah head before her caprure by the Shaido. That is going to cause some confusion between BA and Red sisters simply following orders. The "Vileness" in response to Rand's birth mostly wasn't carried out by BA, although they were heavily involved, but by overzealous, man-hating Reds, like Elaida.

By the nature of its mission, the Red Ajah is easy to manipulate, but that doesn't mean it is more of a haven for BA than any other.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
The last analysis I recall showed a very slight proportionate edge for the Read, but that was two books back, or so, and I don't recall any more reds in the spate of BA sisters revealed in the last two books. I think a new analysis with all the newly exposed BA might show a more balanced percentage, with the Red's proportional edge wiped out.

As Boli points out, the Red Ajah would naturally have a numeric advantage simply because it is the biggest Ajah but I haven't seen any evidence that a Red sister is statistically more likely to be BA than any other Ajah.

One other point to consider, though: The Red Ajah did have BA in its highest position(s) -- Galina was Ajah head before her caprure by the Shaido. That is going to cause some confusion between BA and Red sisters simply following orders. The "Vileness" in response to Rand's birth mostly wasn't carried out by BA, although they were heavily involved, but by overzealous, man-hating Reds, like Elaida.

By the nature of its mission, the Red Ajah is easy to manipulate, but that doesn't mean it is more of a haven for BA than any other.
I think I was referring to (one of) the proportional analysis(es) you're referring to, but I'm not sure we can do a full analysis after TOM; we don't know how many of the executed and escaped Black Sisters fell into each Ajah.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think I was referring to (one of) the proportional analysis(es) you're referring to, but I'm not sure we can do a full analysis after TOM; we don't know how many of the executed and escaped Black Sisters fell into each Ajah.
We can only base any analysis on proportions of named/exposed BA members with the presumption that BA members get named/exposed proportionate to membership. We've always had the problem of not having complete information, which is why the apparent proportions get skewed in the first place.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.