art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

But with that logic, using an angreal to draw more than you can draw unaided would already be lethal. So obviously, the angreal somehow already provides a buffer for the entire system (human plus angreal). Thus, it is not at all obvious that if you have a fully functional buffer (as would be in an ordinary angreal) in the system, then you couldn't also safely use Callandor.

For instance, when using it in a circle, the circle itself provides that buffer. If you were correct, then Callandor still wouldn't be safe in a circle, yet it is.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Youngling

aleuthard is an unknown quantity at this point

All this seems to assume the AS made Callandor. Finns. The AS bargained for the creation of answers to the Dark One, Taint, prophecy, etc. The Finn gave them a caravan load of angrael and said "There ya go. The price is that no one else can ask about the Shadow." Callandor was put where prophesy said, the rest trusted with the Aiel.

So the AS never knew what to do with any of this stuff. Callandor, the Ruinden stuff, doorways, etc. All they knew was that the solutions were there.

How's that for plausible Dues Ex Machina?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
So obviously, the angreal somehow already provides a buffer for the entire system (human plus angreal).
An angreal buffers the power drawn through it. It has no control over power drawn through another path. I don't recall any example of a Channeler drawing OP through and angreal and through an un-aided path; with one angreal, all power used flows through the buffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
For instance, when using it in a circle, the circle itself provides that buffer. If you were correct, then Callandor still wouldn't be safe in a circle, yet it is.
Callandor isn't safe in just any circle; Callandor is safe only in a 1M2F Circle where the male cannot lead the circle. Presumably a woman must lead the circle because the buffering of a circle doesn't apply to the leader -- the only protection explicitly stated is against involuntary drawing more than can be handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuthard View Post
...The Finn gave them a caravan load of angrael
One minor problem with your idea, Rand's Trip into the history of the Aeil showed that the "caravan load of angreal" came from AS stockpiles in Paaren Disen

RJ also said that the lack of buffer in Callandor was "a manufacturing defect" caused by the press of AS making as many angreal as fast as possible.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Youngling

aleuthard is an unknown quantity at this point

The caravan quote was from the point of view of an Ancient Aiel, not an omniscient or AS source. RJ's quote kills my idea. I have to read more interviews.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
A couple of initial thoughts/questions:

2. What's your evidence for their being a specific "essence" within Callandor that the Dragon is linked to? I know it was only possible for Rand to release itat first, not anyone else; is this what you're referring to?
Without reading through the whole thread, am I really the only person who caught this?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
Without reading through the whole thread, am I really the only person who caught this?
I'm not sure quite what you're referring to, but I don't see how the fact that only Rand could release it necessarily implies something specific within the sword itself. A complex and specific ward seems more likely to me.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure quite what you're referring to,
Burn my soul, I believe you'll find the explanation to be quite a . . . catharsis.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm not sure quite what you're referring to, but I don't see how the fact that only Rand could release it necessarily implies something specific within the sword itself. A complex and specific ward seems more likely to me.
Ahem. Never mind then
Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiramon View Post
Burn my soul, I believe you'll find the explanation to be quite a . . . catharsis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbiscuit View Post
Ahem. Never mind then
You two have filthy minds. Filthy.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

As Oscar Wilde already said: a dirty mind is a joy forever.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Elder

Quote:
You two have filthy minds. Filthy.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Youngling

bluestar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thoughts on Callandor being used to re-seal the Bore:

After rereading ToM, Iíve been thinking about a few of the remarks regarding Callandor. This is purely wild speculation, but was considering if anyone had any thoughts about it.

The thing that got me thinking was the viewing Min had in ToM Chapter 51, ďA glowing sword, Callandor, being gripped in a black hand.Ē Iíve seen some question as to whether this a new forged hand for Rand or something else. One possibility I was considering is that it may be the hand of Moridin. Min seems to believe that there is a deeper flaw to Callandor and that it would be used against Rand. The first flaw that we see is that Callandor requires a circle with two women wielding Saidar to maintain control as it lacks the normal buffer as described by Cadsuane in PoD Ch27. In essence this means Callandor will be wielded with both Saidar and Saidin. What if the other flaw that Min senses is that it can also use the True Power, after all Cadsuane said that the flaw magnified the Taint on Saidin. A logical choice for someone using the True Power with Callandor against Rand would be Moridin.

Another passage that relates to this would be the Dark Prophecy from the ToM Epilogue, specifically the line ďIn that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among Vermin lifts his hand to bring freedom to Him who
will Destroy, the last days of the Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come.Ē There has been debate whether the First Among Vermin refers to Rand or to Moridin. It could be seen as Rand breaking the seals on the Bore, after all it mentions both Perrin and Mat in this line, so one would assume the third reference would be Rand. However, if Moridin did somehow manage to wrest Callandor from Randís grip in Shayol Ghul, and instead use it to try to open the Bore further as opposed to sealing it, he would in effect be the black hand wielding the blade against Rand and the First Among Vermin lifting his hand to free the Dark One. Fainís interference may be just what causes Moridin to gain the edge and take Callandor and may also be the cause of Randís blood staining the rocks of Shayol Ghul, thus fulfilling the Gollum connection that some have made with Fain.

My thought on how this could end up resealing the Bore is in the nature of Callandorís flaw, that it requires two women channeling Saidar and a male channeling Saidin to be controlled. If Rand maintains his circle with the two Aes Sedai after losing Callandor, his strange link to Moridin may draw Moridin into the circle with them, thus creating a circle of Saidar, Saidin and the True Power, wielded through Callandor. This fulfills the other prophecy from TGS, Ch48 ďHe shall hold a blade of light in his hands, and the three shall be one.Ē With Callandorís flaw, as Moridin tries to open the bore, too late he discovers that control of the circle belongs to one of the women, as it did when Narishma was linked to Elza and Merise in WH Ch35. Especially if that woman is Moiraine, the woman who Min saw Rand would fail without in ACoS Ch35. This allows the woman to seal the bore with all three powers. The use of the True Power could prevent the Dark One from again tainting Saidar and Saidin as it acts as a buffer against the Dark Oneís taint. The aftermath of the sealing, whether some or all of those involved either live or die and whether or not Fain ends up sealed in the prison with the Dark One is debatable.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Maybe Fain will get his hands on Callandor. Wouldn't it be fun if that blade also enhanced his mad power?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Elder

Something has to touch the Dark One... what if it is the One Power, but contained within Callandor? The known flaws could therefore actually allow this to happen safely, since only Callandor would be tainted by any counterstroke and not the source itself. This might also fulfil the Callandor in an Onyx fist prophecy. I need to look into this... Willow, fetch my books!

Tags
callandor