art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

You know what, now that I think of it, I picture the Bloodguard (going way back to The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbelieve)/Haruchai of the Westron Mountains/Masters of the Land and the Asha'man to be fairly similar in how they hold themselves (and add in some Aes Sedai serenity/coldness and voila! instant Bloodguard!) It just recently came to me, as I was reading how Donaldson was describing Stave in AATE, when Linden looks at him, comparing him to the Bloodguard of Covenant's/the Land's past. When I imagine the Bloodguard/Haruchai/Masters, I picture Asha'man personalities. Kinda.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

So I can now say I'm nearly finished the book.

Spoiler:
I've finished the epic fight scene near Liand's cairn (IT SUCKS THAT LIAND DIED!) and Galt and Anele, with Jeremiah being freed from the croyel. Linden is still as annoying as ever, and I feel really sorry for Stave.

Although, I wasn't at all surprised that Galt was Stave's son. I don't know why. Should I have been more surprised?

Nothing more of import has really happened. More talking and no making decisions. It's almost worse than an Elayne-in-the-Palace-scene!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Heh, there's still a few things coming up.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Elder

Great. Now it's turning into a form of ToM, where a big event is saved for the very end of the book, isn't it?

*sigh* At least it's picking up a bit as it progresses.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Youngling

Universum is on a distinguished road

I am! Haven't had the time to finish the series, though, but might do so once I'm finished with WOT.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Elder

Which part of the Covenant series are you at? The first, middle, or last?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Youngling

Universum is on a distinguished road

I actually don't remember how far into the series I got. It's been a while since I read it, but I think that I am still at the first.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Elder

So I have now finished the book (finished it yesterday evening), and I am pleased with how it ended.

The best parts of the book were the Covenant storylines. I couldn't stand Linden, although her last scene in the book was touching.

However, Covenant took it away, and I think my favourite part was when
Spoiler:
Covenant put an end to Joan's suffering. I think that this was the greatest way for Covenant to show how much he cared for Joan (cause I'm assuming he still cared for Joan, just not as much as Linden).

So by the end of the book, it got better. The beginning, however, had too much of Linden feeling like she was worthless. I hated that part.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future

I've been waiting for you to finish - I agree with you on all points. It just doesn't feel like enough happened in this book.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon View Post
I've been waiting for you to finish - I agree with you on all points. It just doesn't feel like enough happened in this book.
Agreed. Wait, you agree with me, I agree with you... we're just going in circles...

And sorry for taking so long

Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
And sorry for taking so long
Man, you should be. I didn't have anything to do in life until you finished. I was sad.

This is my sad face.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Elder

Quote:
Man, you should be. I didn't have anything to do in life until you finished. I was sad.

This is my sad face.
I'm sorry. *insert downcast smiley if possible...*

Well, now you have something to do, seeing as I'm done reading the book.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
I'm sorry. *insert downcast smiley if possible...*

Well, now you have something to do, seeing as I'm done reading the book.
Sweet!

I'm gonna go read a book.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Elder

Quote:
Sweet!

I'm gonna go read a book.
LOL! I laughed really hard when I read this.

I must say, I didn't expect this.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Reading AATE right now. I didn't start on the series until I was 19 or 20, and then I was left thinking the end of the Second Chronicles was the end - I thought it was a pretty good ending, but I was interested to see what he'd do with a third Chronicle. Part of me is disappointed it's not going to be trilogy or trilogies because I enjoy symmetry, but I suppose there must be a good reason for another book.

I've just got as far as
Spoiler:
Esmer trapping the party in the Lost Deep
. I have to say he is my favourite new character as every time he turns up it's a game changer. I don't mind the angst so much, as I enjoy Donaldson's use of language almost as much as the forward momentum of the plot.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Reading AATE right now. I didn't start on the series until I was 19 or 20, and then I was left thinking the end of the Second Chronicles was the end - I thought it was a pretty good ending, but I was interested to see what he'd do with a third Chronicle. Part of me is disappointed it's not going to be trilogy or trilogies because I enjoy symmetry, but I suppose there must be a good reason for another book.

I've just got as far as
Spoiler:
Esmer trapping the party in the Lost Deep
. I have to say he is my favourite new character as every time he turns up it's a game changer. I don't mind the angst so much, as I enjoy Donaldson's use of language almost as much as the forward momentum of the plot.
Man, I haven't seen this thread in a while. I thought it had been archived. Apparently not.

The last book, The Last Dark, is supposed to come out in 2013.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

So I finished the book this evening. I really enjoyed it, though the angst with both main characters was a little overblown. I thought the endings to both stories were good though, and the set up for the final part well-laid.

Spoiler:
Even though Joan and the croyel are gone, there's still Roger, the worm, Kastenessen, and ultimately Foul himself to deal with.

And they actually do have to deal with Foul this time, though it seemed he'd been defeated at the end of the last series and the one before that as well. I have started to wonder if Donaldson might be going for a Narnia-esque ending, where the Land is destroyed in one sense but preserved in a heaven-like state in another. That would be sad but it seems like the way he's going. On the other hand, it does seem that if the Land is destroyed, the "real world" will at least experience some consequences, so perhaps not.

Excising Foul seems like the most insurmountable problem. Although initially it seemed he was a metaphor for Covenant's leprosy, it's gradually become clear he's actually a metaphor for despair which makes more sense. The various effects such as the Illearth Stone, the Sunbane, and Kevin's Dirt are the metaphors for the disease. Of course, it's not like leprosy is actually that difficult to deal with these days; in the Western world you could expect to be cured completely. I think Covenant was dead before the most recent leaps forward in medicine took place, though.

Anyway, just some thoughts while I'm suffering from neighbour-inflicted insomnia.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
Anyway, just some thoughts while I'm suffering from neighbour-inflicted insomnia.
The best kind.

I should go back and read those books; it's been years since I read the Chronicles. Maybe I should do that on my way to Toronto tomorrow. Either that, or pick up where I left off about two years ago with my reread of WoT at LoC. I really should get back to that.