art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): uausnaughbroo,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

PS—Crispian's Crispin aka SDog wrote an analysis of the similarities between Tel'aran'rhiod and Shayol Ghul many years ago. That area has always been kind of a Theoryland thing.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
The reason I relate that passage to Slayer is because of the context:
I may go more into my Slayer thought when I get to answer your previous comments.

I think your ideas interesting, if personally I wouldn't necessarily go as far as saying Slayer was made for this very purpose all along. I still find it very credible his final role in the series may be to attempt to find and kill Rand-the-Hero in TAR.

I can even reconcile my "anti foreshadowing" for Egwene with this. I mean... another application to purposefully keep Egwene away from all Birgitte matters may be because RJ felt if she learned this when Elayne/Nynaeve did it would be problematic to credibly pull off that she'd intentionally stay away from investigating this "TAR mystery", all the more if she learned of this before Moghedien's escape (there's no way she would have resisted asking Moghedien). Egwene is so curious. Nynaeve never give what exactly Moghedien has done a second thought (it was vile, why would she?), but in her place Egwene would have - I mean.. bringing something (Birgitte and her arrow) from TAR into the real world? No way she would have resisted knowing more, and from clues try to puzzle it out. That would have been very inconvenient, if that's really what will happen, and more, it's Nynaeve he wanted to do the deed.

Egwene could instead be part of the task force protecting those trying to find Rand and rip him out (you suggested the bonding might actually happen in TAR. That's certainly a possibility.)

The "defense task force" could very easily include Egwene, Perrin, the wolves, the WO.

A need to include protectors/hunters would need to be there, though. That may not take much. You have Nynaeve/Elayne/Aviendha present. Moghedien hates both Elayne-Nynaeve. Egwene has of course ties to Lanfear (beside being an interesting mirror/parallel, even in Mierin aspects), who knows Min and who hates Aviendha (and Rand). Perrin-Slayer is obvious.

Quote:
We know that Slayer has special powers there, and we have reason to believe he's creating special Darkhounds there.
I wonder if you've had the same idea I've had: normal DH = genetic constructs created by Aginor, probably with dog genes (I'd think pitbulls notably!) and wolf genes, and the TP, and whatever the Mad Professor saw fit. Like trollocs they can reproduce (and age/die) and they naturally attract ready-for-rebirth wolf-souls from TAR. They are tamed as DH however, can't enter TAR, so their souls go????? Souls pool maybe, where like Trollocs (and unlike ethical constructs like Nym) they are too tainted to be reborn as something else than Shadowspawn.

"Special DH": made in TAR via gifts to Slayer from the DO using dead-in-TAR wolf-souls, or by Shai'tan because somehow the fact Slayer kills them lets him be aware of the death/location and seize the soul. Perhaps they are bonded to a living darkhound at SG then "Slayerized". They may well be able to enter TAR, it's not because the Shadow's waited TG to reveal that that they aren't.

They aren't normally "alive" and can't be destroyed short of balefire. I also very much suspect that in keeping with the Old Grim legends, the DO is "active" in them, ie: they're bonded to him, can act as his eyes, and it's through his willpower he "reconstruct" them from death.

It may be inaccurate to say they're "a new breed". The Chosen used to like using them as guard dogs once. The "normal breed" aren't terribly useful, a strong channeler can fairly easily kill them. If in the AOL they couldn't be destroyed short of a Pattern-destroying weave both sides became afraid to use however...

So instead of "special dh"/new breed of DH, I simply think through the Third Age DH no longer went through a process which makes them Shai'tan's hounds as they were in the WOS. The introduction of Slayer allowed that process to resume. That would again suggest the completion of Slayer is more recent that Luc's death (or his presumed date of death, anyway. Luc may have been kept alive much longer than we think).

One question which could be very relevant if there's a connection with Rand-Moridin: was Luc always a DF, and if not is it the Slayerization process, or the bond to Isam over time, which brought him to the Shadow?

Quote:
We think of The Last Hunt as being wolf-language for the Last Battle, but there are indications that it will be something more. What are the dead wolves supposed to do anyway? There have to be more dead wolves than living ones.
Presumably, and if not, there soon may be for sure if they start fighting Shadowspawn in the RL! They are mean fighters, but their losses tended to be high against even Trollocs, over half a pack might die to kill a single Myrddraal, and against "Shadowbrothers", go figure the odds. A wolf army is really nice, and they've been helpful and all, but unless there's hundreds of thousand, they won't last that long in TG. But the more of them die, the bigger the TAR wolf army gets.

I suspect the same as you re: them hunting in TAR. I suspect DH at least and Brandon-knows-what-else is going to appear in TAR soon. The question is why? The answer would be "because Lightsiders go there". Why? First there's the dreamspike #2 to protect. But is that all? I suspect not. I think RJ kept for TG what the BWB alluded to concerning Lanfear in the WOS : targeted TAR assassinations (snatch-in-TAR-and-kill, I presume), mass madness/mass nightmares phenomenons etc. Isn't it said something like in Lanfear's territories, people became afraid of going to sleep?

I'm not quite sure Cyndane will settle down anywhere during TG, but if she does I'd place my bet on the "Fortress of the Moon", ie: Tear. She has very strong shape-shifting associations, so I don't even dismiss a return as Lanfear (not necessarily in her body, though there were a possible hint in TOM she may have been alive when transmigrated. I'm fairly curious about the whole point of that detail that Moiraine thought Lanfear wasn't dead when Mr. X, likely Moridin, came for her). I could well imagine that as a reward from Moridin/Shai'tan if she succeeds at something big soon.

Quote:
We know that Perrin, the Wolf King, is tied to Rand's death and resurrection through the Perun legends discussed above.
That could simply mean he'll be remotely involved (eg: as protector of those ressurecting Rand) but there will be those to believe that Goldeneyes Hammer-ed Rand back to life, giving birth to legends.

A similar corruption of myth that could tie Egwene to Rand's magical (re)birth is Arianrhod Silver Wheel (magical) mother of Leu Law Gyffes (whose castle Caer Arianrhod is no doubt an origin of TAR). That legend was mostly used for Lanfear (who denied him his real name and insiste on calling him Lews Therin, who armed him with Callandor, and who denied him a three-in-one wife.. a tree blossom - Aviendha, a Queen of the Meadow - Elayne, and a broom - Min the stablegirl).

However, Egwene and Lanfear are so interconnected... and she still prefers to name him Rand, she refuses him to break the seals and take arms/start TG, yet she is the one who granted him his first wife).

The "corrupted" connection may be that Arianrhod is Leu's mother. It could place Egwene, like Perrin, among those involved in the process, thought by some to have done the deed (she's the Amyrlin after all - it must be her)

Quote:
And isn't he giving his friends for sacrifice now? Isn't Lan one of them? Slayer has two components, one tied to Rand, and one tied to Lan. Coincidence?
No, certainly not a coincidence. He's tied to the Royal Line of Andor, which even allowing for distortion through Elaida's ever bad filtering of what her original foretelling actually was, is supposed to be the key to the LB. He's also Galad's uncle, the brother of Moiraine's sister-in-law. Pre-KOD I thought RJ meant to use him during the Succession in Andor - that Lord Luc would show up as Perival Mantear's guardian. He has been seen in the palace, I still don't rule out an appearance as Luc during Caemlynaggedon.)

His tie to Rand can certainly turn out to be the most important.

OTOH, Galad is possibly old enough to remember him (or puzzle it out from a family ressemblance - Galad has to know the Mantears).

There's two dangers I see in Slayer for Lan and the Malkieri. The first is if Isam is put at the head of a Shadowspawn army sent against Lan's. Lan was never at his best when acting under strong emotions - he can be extremely impulsive, even rash, in those cases. Let's say Isam rushes out of the Seven Towers to meet the Malkieri...with the usual warcries of Isam! Isam!, and that's the first they've heard of him. They might "lose it" a bit. And Isam can presumably "TAR jump" out of the RL and back into it at Lan's side in a blink and a half, when he was a mile away a second before.

The other danger is the tactic he used in TSR, to infiltrate the other side. As Lord Luc, he may be able to get dangerously close to Lan. If Galad is among those eventually sent to help Lan... he could save his life.

I've toyed with two possibilities connected to Verin.

The first is she warned Luc's nephew Galad about Slayer. I'm not convinced the letter he got in TOM is from Verin and not a red herring, though (in the scene he presumably just met Berelain at her tent so she'd accompany him, so I wouldn't rule out it's a passionate love letter from her, or a demand in marriage. She'd be the style.). He seems to have gotten it near Whitebridge, so pretty much as he set foot in Andor. The only way this could be from Verin is if she visited Perrin's camp, but she would have to have discovered Galad was there and find herself a messenger she instructed to give the letter to Galad in X days (the timing would make this similar to Mat's deadline). Verin was always cautious in interferring with ta'veren, and Perrin had attracted Galad, so I could see her deciding not to mention Caemlyn to Galad.

For the same ta'veren reason, I could see her not giving the information to Nynaeve, as she was very obviously caught in Rand's web.

The other option I've considered is that it's part of the mission she left to Alanna. "Vanish, release the bond to Rand if there's any risk you get caught, because the Shadow knows about the bond" may be part of it. However, Alanna knows Luc by sight, which makes her perfect to be sent to find Lan and warn him of the Dark Prophecy (especially if Verin believes Isam's soul has Luc's body, but I suspect Verin was one of those non-Chosen Slayer said knew about him/to find him). In TGH she seems to have baited Moiraine. She pretended to have no idea who Isam was to see if Moiraine would bite and say "Mandragoran, of course". The fact Moiraine said nothing (she couldn't lie) was a solid hint she most likely didn't want Lan to know. Which was of course the case.

I can't shake off the notion Alanna was also perfect for Verin for any mission that involves returning to Rand afterward in the nick of time. Just for the sake of example: find the fortress near SG and tell Rand.

Quote:
And I want to see Lan tear Isam's head apart with his bare hands
The opposite might also happen, alas.

Quote:
I don't believe that was the Creator.
I was never too fond of the notion it was a bait from Shai'tan, so far from SG. I never dismissed it completely, though. Ishamael? Maybe.

The nature of the message, giving Rand the choice he really had at his Epiphany, makes me still lean a bit more toward the Creator. That descent into hell was part of the prophecies. You've touched Shai'tan, you've lived through hell, you've seent the price LTT paid... do you think Creation should go on nonetheless? Rand made the choice he was asked to make, IMO. He was the Dragon, but he truly became the Champion then. Of course there's no reason to believe Shai'tan may not know after so many turnings about the Dragon's choice, and part of his strategy was always to offer an alternative choice to "all that suffering", so...

That one's a real RAFO.

Quote:
Shaidar Haran vs Fain. I believe Fain is the reason why Shaidar Haran was introduced.
I think so too, along the same lines as you. I sort of like the Rand = Champion = Hand of the Light notion, but it doesn't follow Rand should clash with SH. OP/TP direct interaction = unpredictability.

An alternative is the way too Gollum-like option of "Into-the-Pit-he-goes" (otherwise known as "Fain tossing") to make Shai'tan retreat so a channeler can safely touch the Bore. That may be an impossibility, though, that Shai'tan might "release his grip" on the Bore as it may be the point of contact between Light and Shadow and it you cut that contact, the Bore is gone. Throwing Fain in the Bore, boom!, no more Bore is way, way too lame. Beside, causing a big explosion at the Bore sounds terribly unwise.

Quote:
Rand will need a distraction, I think, to prevent something like the tainting of saidin from happening again, and if Fain can trap the essence of the Dark One in Shaidar Haran, he can pull it off. Unintentionally, of course. And that pulls WoT away from the religion-like direction it seems to be headed, and back toward the all-too-humanness he said inspired the series in the first place.
It could be, I guess, that the Epiphany was the big spiritual triumph.

I still think RJ's "Who tells you the Creator doesn't care?" and Sanderson's "don't forget Rand is a shepherd" suggests further religious/spiritual developments. What needs to be avoided certainly is turning Rand into a genuine messiah-prophet. I don't mind Rand getting glimpses of the Creator's design (or going though an experience that makes him figure some of the "real" cosmology out), but this needs to remain his secret afterward. I always doubted RJ would give us too much anyway - more his style to give us a few tantalizing crumbs and make us fight a long time over them.

I'll make sure to read that analysis you posted a link for.

Last edited by Dom; 05-17-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I may go more into my Slayer thought when I get to answer your previous comments.

I think your ideas interesting, if personally I wouldn't necessarily go as far as saying Slayer was made for this very purpose all along. I still find it very credible his final role in the series may be to attempt to find and kill Rand-the-Hero in TAR.
Well, clearly he has many roles, but I think part of what Ishamael has been trying to do is, as he said, tie a thousand strings to Rand so that he's prepared for any eventuality, and apparently the Dark One has told him a great deal about what has gone down in past turnings of the Wheel. The potential to kill Rand permanently in Tel'aran'rhiod is certainly something to be prepared for. I do wonder if there's some rhyme or reason to combining those two.

Quote:
Egwene could instead be part of the task force protecting those trying to find Rand and rip him out (you suggested the bonding might actually happen in TAR. That's certainly a possibility.)
Yeah, I've definitely considered this. Perrin is obvious, especially since we know his Second Time is unfulfilled, and Perrin and Egwene have been tied together since TEOTW.

Quote:
I wonder if you've had the same idea I've had: normal DH = genetic constructs created by Aginor, probably with dog genes (I'd think pitbulls notably!) and wolf genes, and the TP, and whatever the Mad Professor saw fit. Like trollocs they can reproduce (and age/die) and they naturally attract ready-for-rebirth wolf-souls from TAR. They are tamed as DH however, can't enter TAR, so their souls go????? Souls pool maybe, where like Trollocs (and unlike ethical constructs like Nym) they are too tainted to be reborn as something else than Shadowspawn.
I'd think Darkhounds can only be reborn as Darkhounds, but wolves who dies as wolves will be reborn as wolves. Only wolves killed by Darkhounds will be 'reborn' as Darkhounds.

Quote:
"Special DH": made in TAR via gifts to Slayer from the DO using dead-in-TAR wolf-souls, or by Shai'tan because somehow the fact Slayer kills them lets him be aware of the death/location and seize the soul. Perhaps they are bonded to a living darkhound at SG then "Slayerized". They may well be able to enter TAR, it's not because the Shadow's waited TG to reveal that that they aren't.
This is kind of iffy, but the timing is right for Slayer to have begun making his Darkhounds around TDR/TSR, so that by the time Perrin arrives in TSR, all the wolves are dead or gone. It's hard to speculate on the mechanics of how he does this, but I suspect the Darkhounds have an ability similar to his own, and that their apparent immortality is not just related to their death in Tel'aran'rhiod, but rather they have properties of Tel'aran'rhiod allowing them to defy natural laws.

Quote:
One question which could be very relevant if there's a connection with Rand-Moridin: was Luc always a DF, and if not is it the Slayerization process, or the bond to Isam over time, which brought him to the Shadow?
It's a question that comes up fairly often both here and at Dragonmount, but I don't know that we have enough evidence to say one way or the other. People have even speculated on whether Gitara Moroso was Black Ajah.

Quote:
I suspect the same as you re: them hunting in TAR. I suspect DH at least and Brandon-knows-what-else is going to appear in TAR soon. The question is why? The answer would be "because Lightsiders go there". Why? First there's the dreamspike #2 to protect. But is that all? I suspect not. I think RJ kept for TG what the BWB alluded to concerning Lanfear in the WOS : targeted TAR assassinations (snatch-in-TAR-and-kill, I presume), mass madness/mass nightmares phenomenons etc. Isn't it said something like in Lanfear's territories, people became afraid of going to sleep?
The dreamspike is definitely a component of that level of the battle, but Rand's resurrection is certain to be the main show, and the Bore might come into it as well, and it might also serve as the means for Elayne to have her babies at the proper moment, since that fits with certain versions of the Boann/Dagda legends and makes a lot of sense. It's possible for her to give birth prematurely, but I somehow don't think it will happen quite so mundanely. Another possibility is a Portal World, but that seems less likely.

Quote:
That could simply mean he'll be remotely involved (eg: as protector of those ressurecting Rand) but there will be those to believe that Goldeneyes Hammer-ed Rand back to life, giving birth to legends.
I do see the protector role as being his most important role, along with perhaps destroying the other dreamspike, or perhaps killing Slayer (and all this could easily be tied together).

Quote:
However, Egwene and Lanfear are so interconnected... and she still prefers to name him Rand, she refuses him to break the seals and take arms/start TG, yet she is the one who granted him his first wife).
I think both of them speak to a sort of 'revenge against the ex-girlfriend' tendency in RJ's brain.

Quote:
No, certainly not a coincidence....

There's two dangers I see in Slayer for Lan and the Malkieri. The first is if Isam is put at the head of a Shadowspawn army sent against Lan's. Lan was never at his best when acting under strong emotions - he can be extremely impulsive, even rash, in those cases.
He did alright with Ryne, I think. He gets a little rash when he's angry, but he's no less dangerous at those times, and no more vulnerable.

Quote:
I was never too fond of the notion it was a bait from Shai'tan, so far from SG. I never dismissed it completely, though. Ishamael? Maybe.
I never thought of it as a bait. If anything, Rand was baiting the Dark One. I see it as the Dark One answering, saying he would not take part, that his Chosen One would have to do what needed doing. I believe that's what Rand meant in Maradon about it coming too close to a direct confrontation between him and the Dark One. He's done that before.

Quote:
I still think RJ's "Who tells you the Creator doesn't care?" and Sanderson's "don't forget Rand is a shepherd" suggests further religious/spiritual developments. What needs to be avoided certainly is turning Rand into a genuine messiah-prophet.
I agree (with the last bit), and I might already fear it had gone too far in that direction if not for the lurking Moridin bond and the fact that many things in the book can be interpreted in various ways. For example, his vaunted ability to 'see' Darkfriends. Clearly there's something there, but clearly he also had help from Verin.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
It's not limited to Arthur, either. Jesus appeared to his followers somewhat mysteriously post-Crucifixion. Hell, we see it even in popular culture with "Elvis Lives" and other celebrities (Top 10 People Rumored To Be Alive After Death).

Whenever a pivotal or larger-than-life figure dies, we see a resistance to the death in the form of rumors and sightings. Sometimes these turn into more than just longing and actually inform religions. If RJ is true to form, we won't have any proof that Rand survived--just rumors and suggestions.
I meant to respond to this earlier. Southpaw asked Wilson about this at JordanCon and Wilson said that Rand's fate will not be left up in the air at the end. We'll know exactly what happens to him. [/wilson] The people, on the other hand, will be mostly clueless. I need to put that in the database.

Last edited by Terez; 05-17-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Ah T'A'R

Hope you don't mind if I make some sporadic comments; good to see you btw.

Quote:
Nynaeve has always been very adept at puzzling out what's wrong with something and repair it. It already goes beyond strictly Healing (also called Restoring, once.. a more apt description for what Nynaeve does, I think). Her invention to heal severing is already far more in the metaphysical realm than in the physical.
I like the idea of Delving the Bore, it fits with the way Nynaeve has jumped in leaps and bounds with her unique healing (or as you say, Restoring) talents, and Nynaeve's exposure to T'A'R would make it realistic. Although, I tend to think that Nynaeve's role will be more in preventing the next Backlash Tainting as part of the Sealing, which would explain her continued specialization in Delving and now familiarity with the Taint at a much deeper level than any living non Forsaken Aes Sedai and what I plan to see as continued puzzling over what she sees in Rand's mind protecting him from the Taint.

Quote:
My favourite topic for idle TAR speculation remains this one:

What if Beidomon's team used TAR to drill the Bore in the first place? They've done this remotely (from the CD/Sharom), it appears, not on the Island where the real world Bore appeared. Of course, there was Mierin 'TAR' Aronaille on this team.
Lanfear's resurgence as a piece of this entire puzzle seems at the very least to present us with a knowledge source as it pertains to the drilling and fixing what was done. I'm hoping we see more in-depth discussions between Rand (or better yet, Rand as LTT) and Lanfear in the Dream, as she either attempts to fool him or in reality use him to help her. Any knowledge from Lanfear in this regard would be useful. And It is likely that Lanfear's understanding of T'A'R, Dream Bubbles, the GOI, the Void, Mirror Worlds, vacuoles, etc., all played a part in the research itself as far as to what the Power source might be and how to best "drill" through into that location. But I've always found it interesting to note that Lanfear didn't join the Dark One for five years (iirc) after she helped create the Bore.

Quote:
We can't rule out there may be a big role for TAR to play in the endgame - not when there's two main characters (Egwene/Perrin), a few WO, the Dead Heroes and literally thousands of four leg dreamwalkers, and the the whole Shadow Team TAR (Moridin, Cyndane, Moghedien + Slayer) still currently alive. Not to mention Mat and the Horn.

Practical eg: Rand hold off/baits Shai'tan as Rand is One with Creation and grabbing him is the key to his endgame, Moiraine serves someone as the Ward (but how? some have suggested maybe Callandor itself is involved, and perhaps the viewing of a black hand holding it), Nynaeve who leads the circle (a woman will have to in that circle, can't be Rand) picks out the TP holding the Bore as she removed taint threads from a brain, Mat sounds the Horn, Egwene and Perrin seal off the hole in TAR which Shai'tan has used to create the multiverse Bore in the first place, the conjunction ends and bye-bye Shai'tan, SG, the Blight.. the whole shebang. Three as One being both the Callandor circle and Mat/Perrin/Rand shared-mind.

Belief and Order make strength.
I'd love to see T'A'R play a huge role in the end. Although, I expect to see a significant amount of Pattern breakdown spread across T'A'R, as we begin to see with the Mirror World T'A'R merge that happens to the window in Tar Valon T'A'R. Not only would they have to assert their will in planned coordination, they'd have to fight for control over an Unseen World that is being torn apart too.

Last edited by Tamyrlin; 05-18-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Youngling

Mik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My two cents...

Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've had "a shot of Wot".
But I saw Tam's Tweet about this topic and just couldn't resist it.

I just logged on to copy/paste an old D'mount (sorry ) post of mine about this topic. My current life doesn't allow any time to read all the posts, so excuse me for just barging in and posting this... but -heck- you guys might like it:

Have a good life and who knows... one day.. we meet again!

Quote:
The Dragon (Reborn) is the Lord of the Morning; the Prince of the Dawn.

What I think will happen during Tarmon Gaidon is the following:
At one point, Mat will blow the Horn of Valere and -much like what we saw at the end of TGH- that will mix Tel'aran'rhiod & the Real World.
But this time Mat doesn't blow it just anywhere (like near Falme), but he'll blow it as a last ditch effort at (or near) Shayol Ghul. That way, what Verin described as a paradox back in TDR (see the Chapter 'A Matter of Thought' (how fitting!)) won't be a paradox at all since all the worlds are one, so if the DO wins right there, the DO is freed in all worlds since TAR is part (and/or surrounding) all the worlds.

It also makes sure that the Last Battle between Shai'tan & the Dragon -again much like the TGH fight- will be a battle of willpower mostly.
A battle of Mind over Matter, since in TAR ' thought' is 'Matter' (see previously mentioned chapter name). Normally, Shayol Ghul can't be reached in TAR -due to Shai'tans influence-, but because the Horn is blown at the weak spot, it now can be reached.

"Thought is the arrow of Time and Memory never fades".
So when the Dragon is nearly deafeated and is being swallowed by the 'infinite maw' he will have a Memory of Light (since memory is the one thing that never fades). And through his sheer strong stubborn willpower, the Dragon wills the sun to Dawn in TAR right at the Heart of the Dark, fullfilling prophecy of having the Sun dawn twice*. Once that morning in the Real World and once later in the day in a mix of TAR and the Real World moments before the Shadow swallows all. He will remember Light in the one spot where there is none and will hope for salvation and Rebirth.

I think that's how he will defeat Shai'tan. The Dragon will once again bind the Soul of Shadow inside his own Soul by envelopping Darkness/Nothingness with the Light of the dawning Sun. Binding Shai'tan as it was once designed by the Creator; The strongest of Souls binding the seed of Chaos/Nothingness inside somehting evil cannot touch -a pure Soul-, through sacrificing that Soul and hoping for nothing but salvation and rebirth (the strongest oath).

The weak spot will disapear from the woven Pattern because the Dragon dies and Shai'tan is bound inside the Dragon Soul in the 'soulpool'.
The weak spot in the Pattern will only re-appear each time the Dragon is spun out and woven into the Pattern, making the saying that about the Dragon bringing the Dark One more then half right; the Soul of the Dragon that is woven in the Pattern IS the weak spot.

It's why Shai'tan needs the Dragon (Soul) in the right circumstances to be able to break the Wheel of Time. Ironically, the circumstances for Shai'tan to break free are the exact same circumstances that the Dragon needs to be able to re-seal Shai'tan the proper way (as described above).

Amen.

"Let the Prince of the Dawn ride again on the Winds of Time!"

Cheerio,
Mik

*It's noteworthy that we've never seen a dawn -nor dusk- in TAR before, I think.
Through the Dragon we will see the first Dawn in the Unseen World.
Original post:
http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/to.../#entry1864846
Edit: (rest of the topic might be nice to read as well... there's more in follow-up posts)

So long!
Mik

(P.S: It's a knuckle-biter to see Dom posting long posts and not having the time to read)
(P.S2: Hail Theories & WoT; the best drug there ever was! )

Last edited by Mik; 05-18-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:32 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Tamyrlin;189737]Hope you don't mind if I make some sporadic comments; good to see you btw.

Same to you. I really liked the "Driving Mr. Sanderson Q&A, it's one of my favourites.

You'll have to do a post-series replay at some time...

I'll have to keep it very short as I'm about to leave the city, I'll be back early next week.

Quote:
I like the idea of Delving the Bore, it fits with the way Nynaeve has jumped in leaps and bounds with her unique healing (or as you say, Restoring) talents, and Nynaeve's exposure to T'A'R would make it realistic. Although, I tend to think that Nynaeve's role will be more in preventing the next Backlash Tainting as part of the Sealing, which would explain her continued specialization in Delving and now familiarity with the Taint at a much deeper level than any living non Forsaken Aes Sedai and what I plan to see as continued puzzling over what she sees in Rand's mind protecting him from the Taint.
I didn't make that connection, but it totally makes sense.

I think it may be a mix of all those issues Nynaeve takes care of/is pivotal in.

Quote:
Lanfear's resurgence as a piece of this entire puzzle seems at the very least to present us with a knowledge source as it pertains to the drilling and fixing what was done.
Knowledge and misinformation I would think. I think the main motive why (I believe) Moridin sent her to Rand is to discover how much Rand knows at this point and what his plans for the Bore are. A post epiphany necessary move.

I bet Lanfear understands the most about the nature of the Bore. Some of that may even be "between her and Shai'tan" only.