art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
That would explain why, when the girls went looking for "something that would help Rand", they found the Bowl of Winds, especially if (as I suspect) Rand's link with the land is a two way street.
I'm not sure why you have to "suspect" that the link goes both ways. The prophecies state it directly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
A Crown of Swords, Epigraph

"There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land. Soul of fire, heart of stone, in pride he conquers, forcing the proud to yield. He calls upon the mountains to kneel, and the seas to give way, and the very skies to bow. Pray that the heart of stone remembers tears, and the soul of fire, love."

- From a much-disputed translation of The Prophecies of the Dragon by the poet Kyera Termendal, of Shiota, believed to have been published between FY 700 and FY 800.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7 View Post
I'm not sure why you have to "suspect" that the link goes both ways. The prophecies state it directly:
Did you have anything to contribute, or did you just want to put me in my place?

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

It appears as though she wanted to point out that we already know the link goes both ways. I wouldn't read anything into it beyond that; Marie has a thing for facts.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayne
Morvrin, Carlinya and Anaiya glided swiftly out to the anteroom, where the Keeper's worktable would be. That was Alviarin Freidhen, under Elaida; a White, strangely, though the Keeper always came from the Amyrlin's own Ajah.
That word was emphasized in Elayne's head. But you'd think she'd know about Sierin Vayu, since it wasn't that long ago...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
That word was emphasized in Elayne's head. But you'd think she'd know about Sierin Vayu, since it wasn't that long ago...
As novices, AS get special classes in ignoring things they don't want to think about. That's probably why Nynaeve isn't all that good in it, all she has is natural talent rather than training.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Something else I'd forgotten about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 9, Plans
In Tear, Balwer’s agents had convinced Tedosian and Estanda to join Darlin, turning a show of defiance into real rebellion, and the man was confident the same could be done in Cairhien, and in Andor.
I think most people must have forgotten that; no one ever mentions it. But it's neat that Balwer was the mastermind of all that, and that he might have had something to do with Toram Riatin and Caraline Damodred, and all the exiled nobles in Andor supporting Dyelin too. I will have to keep an eye out for signs of it.

Also, just because I often forget exactly where this passage is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 8, The Storm Gathers
"I thought I saw Rand." That brought the facecloth down.

"Was he there in the flesh?" That was dangerous, according to the Wise Ones; it risked losing some part of what made you human. "You warned him about that."

"When did he start listening to sense? I only glimpsed him. Maybe he just touched Tel’aran’rhiod in a dream." Unlikely, that. He apparently hedged his dreams with wards so strong she did not think he could reach the World of Dreams any other way than in the flesh, not even if he had been a Dreamwalker and had one of the rings. "Maybe it was somebody who looked a little like him. As I said, I only saw him for a moment, in the square in front of the Tower."
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

I just read the first line about knowing the ground to make a gateway, in LOC, Lessons and Teachers. I think RJ made that up to explain why Rand couldn't make his own gateway in TFOH, A Short Spear. He only knew Skimming at the time, though, and he should have been able to make a Skimming gateway. But later RJ made up the rule about knowing the place you're going to for Skimming, presumably to explain why Rand could follow Asmodean from Alcair Dal, and forgetting about A Short Spear. And then later he made up the rule about having to copy the weave exactly to see someone else in the Skimming Space; not sure why he made that rule up, but it doesn't work either because of Rand following Asmodean. You could argue that Rand didn't know his room in Eianrod well enough to make a Skimming gateway back, but then Aviendha shouldn't have been able to make a Traveling gateway either.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Rand has a Talent for Traveling, so for him, those rules are more like guidelines.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Except that we know he can't Travel long distances without knowing the ground. At least, in later books we do.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Except that we know he can't Travel long distances without knowing the ground. At least, in later books we do.
Yeah, in the prologue of the first book he did just that with no trouble at all.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

That time he used Need.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
That time he used Need.
Which, supposedly, only works in TAR.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Supposedly.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute

The Skimming Space is akin to TAR, so maybe *waves hands* was how he did it.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
That would explain why, when the girls went looking for "something that would help Rand", they found the Bowl of Winds, especially if (as I suspect) Rand's link with the land is a two way street.
They were actually looking for a ter'angreal, not in Tar Valon. I just read it.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

When I realized this bit was coming, I almost skipped it. Glad I didn't; this made me laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 14, Dreams and Nightmares
The real Rand was of a height and size with Gawyn, but this image overtopped Gawyn by a head. The face was just vaguely Rand’s, coarser and harder than it should be, the cold face of a murderer. This man wore a sneer. "You will not have her," he snarled.

"You will not keep her," Gawyn replied calmly, and suddenly both men held swords.

Egwene gaped. Not Gawyn holding her prisoner. He dreamed of rescuing her! From Rand! Time to leave this madness. She concentrated on being outside, back in the darkness, looking at this from the outside. Nothing happened.
Also, I'd forgotten that Gawyn is as tall as Rand.

PS—I hadn't forgotten the swordfight, but I didn't remember Egwene's thoughts. Priceless, they are.

Last edited by Terez; 05-29-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 15, A Pile of Sand
"Leaving the dream of someone who hates you, or loves you," Bair finished, "is like trying to climb from a deep pit with sheer sides."

"There is that." Amys seemed to recover her humor suddenly; she gave Melaine a sidelong glance. "That is why no dream-walker ever makes the mistake of trying to watch her husband’s dreams." Melaine stared straight ahead, face darkening. "She does not make it twice anyway," Amys added.
But in TFOH Amys took her to Rhuarc's dream, and retrieved her from it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFOH 5, Among the Wise Ones
The Wise Ones had some considerable mastery over their own dreams, so what had happened there – to show her the dangers, they said – had all been their doing, but it had been a shock to learn that Rhuarc saw her as a little more than a child, like his youngest daughters. And her own control had wavered for one fatal moment. After that she had been little more than a child; she still could not look at the man without remembering being given a doll for studying hard. And being as pleased with the gift as with his approval. Amys had had to come and take her away from happy play with it. Amys knowing was bad enough, but she suspected that Rhuarc remembered some of it, too....

....Amys had guided her to Rhuarc's dreams – she herself had remained only an instant, barely long enough to reveal that Rhuarc still saw her, unchanged, as the young woman he had married – and the Wise Ones had always been in the same tent before when she tried.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Elder

Quote:
They were actually looking for a ter'angreal, not in Tar Valon. I just read it.
Didn't it start out as "something to help Rand", then a ter'angreal, then fix on something to fix the weather? You've read it slightly more recently than I; I looked at it quickly when I posted about it initially.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

The idea was to find something to help Rand, but they didn't think about him when searching.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 21, To Shadar Logoth
"They cut down the grove as soon as the Ogier departed for the stedding," Haman muttered angrily, long brows drawn down, "no more than twenty or thirty years, and extended the city."
I've wondered about this before. Seems to imply that Aridhol was a bad egg long before Mordeth showed up. I wonder if RJ intended that.

Also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOC 20, From the Stedding
Rand had visited an Ogier stedding twice...
Wat?