art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Who is the Broken Wolf?
Rand 9 22.50%
Lan 3 7.50%
Perrin 4 10.00%
Ituralde 9 22.50%
Bashere 3 7.50%
Hopper 4 10.00%
Boundless/Noam 0 0%
Elyas 0 0%
Slayer 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Undecided 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

For me, the idea that Rand is the "broken wolf" doesn't pass the gut check test. Other characters are more prominently connected with wolves, so it's probably one of those other characters referred to in the dark prophesies.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

Maybe Brandon will provide another clue before release.
(Hope he reads this)
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
The problem is, if there are no Prophesies about Fain, then that means the Pattern anticipated him sidestepping the Patter, which means it should have been able to foretell that.
Why would it?

Fain was fairly irrelevant to the bigger picture until he merged with Mordeth.

Foretellings are almost never about details. The details can change massively. Fain used to be a detail.

Also, Mordeth was a "ghost" or at least dead and disembodied but not in the soul pool for some reason. We have no idea if and how non-Hero dead people are dealt with by the Wheel (they don't have a life thread in the pattern, that's how much we know), let alone the soul of someone who died but somehow managed to escape the normal afterlife...

That's most likely one of the factors that turned Fain into a wildcard. One major factor is how insane he's become. The Wheel works by input/feedback. Someone who's insane becomes much less controllable, because the decision making is often totally irrational. The Wheel pulls in one direction to try to obtain one result, the madman reacts irrationally and screws it up. It's very difficult to apply any corrective mechanism on someone like this. With Fain it's far worse, as there are two wills in play. The Wheel pulls Fain in one direction, but it's Mordeth who calls the next shot...

Prophecies have surfaced connected to Mashadar/SL (re: the Cleansing) but no prophecy is connected to Fain, that we know of.

The big question is whether Fain is nearly big enough a wildcard to make prophecies derail, and if he is, if he is enoug of a wildcard to make prophecies involving ta'veren derail (which would be far more difficult).
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Youngling

final death will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Except we know that prophecies are invulnerable unless the Pattern is destroyed. I don't think we would have been told that if there were exceptions.
Didn't Moiraine say that a prophecy could fail if the one mentioned in the prophecy was killed before completing it.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.
This is the key descriptor to me for the prophecy. The list of people on the Light that would cause such fear/sorrow is pretty damn small. Basically, IMHO, it comes down to Perrin or Rand with Rand being the far more obvious choice as the Light expects Rand to die AT the last battle, not before it as it seems he will.

My money is on Rand dying at Merrilor somehow and Mat saving the day by forging a truce as all the key people involved trust him (Egwene, Elayne, Nynaeve all respect him as he has saved them and they know his worth, Perrin does as well and Mat is the only Randlander who can bring the Seanchan in.) Even Bashere respects him significantly due to his military abilities. The Aiel respect him as the man who took down Couladin. Sorry for the tangent but that's how I see it going down. Rand will die within the first 100 pages of ToM (not counting prologue pages obviously).

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Youngling

Delirium is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post

That said, it is possible to interpret the "... his destruction ..." not as Fain being destroyed, but as Fain being the destroyer. That would seem to make the rest of it (apart from the sidestepping nitpick) quite believable.
This actually brings an interesting angle to interpreting this. From this perspective, would someone like Isam/luc also be viable?