art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Two points:

Tuon can indeed see weaves:

Quote:
"I didn't bring these three out of Ebou Dar so you could take them back." Mat said firmly, sliding himself along the bed. The foxhead grew colder still, and Tuon made a startled sound.
"How did you ... do that, Toy? The weave . . . melted . . . when it touched you."
Second, Sul'dam can indeed begin to channel on their own:

Quote:
The yellow-haired former sul'dam had come round in spectacular, and painful, fashion. Painful for her and for the sisters. When she
first hesitantly asked them to teach her, too. at supper the night before, they refused. They were only teaching Bethamin because she
had already channeled. Seta was too old to become a novice, she had not channeled, and that was that. So she duplicated whatever it was that Bethamin had done and had all three leaping about the cookfire and squealing in showers of dancing sparks for as long as she could hold onto the Power. They agreed to teach her then.
Seta clearly began channeling on her own with no guidance. The sul'dam, from their training with the damane, probably know exactly how to reach out to the True Source. Once they reach the point of seeing weaves and controlling them too, its only a matter of consciously going over the edge.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

As fionwe said Tuon can see the weaves and I would guess that quite a few sul'dam can as well. There seems to be two sorts of sul'dam. We saw the first group when we saw Egwene being trained. They use the adam to mentally break the damane but then they have to give verbal orders to the damane eg. "Blow up that tree." Now if they could direct the weaves even throught the adam why give orders.

The second sort are more advanced like Tuon and she seems to be able to use the damane as a battery for want of a better word. Tuon slapped the adam on the AS in the show and immediatly wove a shield on the second AS she also tried to hold Mat with the OP.

Now one could argue that a very well trained damane would be able to act on a whole load of non verbal commands from a sul'dam. If they two work together a lot the damane could be good at readign body language and she could be trained to shield any uncolloared female channler unless specifically told not to.

The only trouble with this is that the captured AS in the wagon had never worked with Tuon before. How would she know what to do, or what Tuon wanted without a verbal order? She couldn't so the only explination was that Tuon directed the weaves.

Also there are clear reports that some of the captured sul'dam can see the weaves but deny it for what it would mean to them. We don't know if those sul'dam who can see the weaves can direct them like Tuon but my guess is that they could even if they don't normally try to.

The only other time I can recal another instant of a woman wearing the bracelet forming the weaves herself was when Nynaeve was using the adam and Moggy to help fight Rahvin. Nynaeve was a semi trained channeler so I suspect either RJ messed up which is unlikely as he gave a lot of thought to his One Power science or this ability is a sign of being very close to channeling themselves.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

The a'dam basically force a Linking between the Sul'dam and the damane. All sul'dam can be taught to channel, while damane are born with the ability, which is why Sul'dam can, with time, see the flows that they force the damane to create.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

If I am remembering it correctly linking was a method used to teach in the AoL. I know that Asmodean told Rand that he was not a very good teacher without a link and that they dare not ask Moiraine to like them but I could have sworn I saw somewhere, not in the books, but in an interview or a Q & A where RJ said that a teacher linked with a student in the Aol and it make learning channeling faster but I could be wrong.

It would make sense that the adam forming a link between the sul'dam and damane is inadvertantly giving lessons to the sul'dam even if they don't realise it. A bit like a preparitory course in channeling.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

That's a really interesting thought, Enigma. My quick search didn't give any support to the linking-for-training, but I seem to remember reading something like it.
If it worked like that in the AoL, could Asmodean's comment be a foreshadowing for the future of the Return?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Asmo talks about the Linking in Chapter 3 of Fires of Heaven.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Youngling

adrees83912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re : General Wheel of Time

To question 1: There's the glossary at the back of the books that helps with pronunciation of certain words. Also, encyclopaedia-wot.org has the entire list of characters with pronunciation guides (for most of them - Naeff doesn't, for example, have a pronunciation guide - I'd assume that you pronounce it as it sounds, then. I always pronounced it Nay-eff. )
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

If we're pronouning Naeff like it's spelled, wouldn't we say NaYfe, then?

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

For those who read phonetic writing: I read Naeff [nɒ:əf]

"I want a T-shirt with that sign, that some people need a high five... in the face... with a chair." -Slash