art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Youngling

Fin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Fin
Default For those who have read Brandon Sanderson

I have just finished The Well of Ascension and already purchased The Hero of Ages. After finishing this i was wondering what next? Warbreaker, Alloy of Law, or maybe even Elantris. For those who have read these what would you suggest?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Considering that those 3 are all about half the size of the Mistborn books, I'd say: all of them.

At least Alloy, as it's an outrigger novel of Mistborn.

The Way of Kings is great, but you'll have to wait for about another year for book 2... and then probably 1 or 2 years for every next book.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Elder

Ieyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to beholdIeyasu is a splendid one to behold

I liked Way of Kings and Alloy of Law.

The mistborn series felt too formula to me, like something I would expect from R.A. Salvatore or the rest of dragonlance/forgoten realms authors.

Warbreaker... meh I did not like it. Did not like the magic system, or the world in general.

Never bothered with Elantris.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

I've read them all.

You should probably read Allow of Law first, since you'll still have the Mistborn series in your head. I read it a couple of years after Mistborn and could tell that I had forgotten things.

I think Way of Kings is his best book, but it's the first in a longer series, and the rest won't be done for a couple of years.

Elantris was good as well, IMO, although not as great as his other books. I think this one was an earlier work of his, and it shows a bit more (it's not bad, just not as good as you may be used to from his other stuff).

One thing I didn't realize until I'd read all of his books is that they all have a slight common thread that is VERY easy to overlook if you're unaware of it (or at least was for me).

The 17th Shard has a wiki that helps a lot, but I wouldn't visit it in depth until you've read his books (or unless you don't mind spoilers).

Minor spoilers about this shared word:
Spoiler:

All of the worlds are distinct, but share a universe (the Cosmere) and a few fundamental rules:
  • each world has three 'realms' within it (Physical, Spiritual, and Cognitive.)
  • the magic & god(s) of each book series each have a creation story that are centrally tied together
  • at least one character is seen in more than one series
Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you want. The best thing about Brandon Sanderson is his ability to tell a wide variety of stories. Well, that and the lovable characters... And his awesome action scenes... And his complex universe and magic systems...

STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, I forgot to answer your question. Personally, I think Alloy of Law is Sanderson's best novel. To date. It's such a fun light-hearted romp with great characters and a pulse-pounding plot.

But, if you're looking for something more cerebral then definitely Warbreaker. I'd put that down as his second best novel. Lots and lots of political intrigue and an adorable love story to make even the most hardened of us squee.

Elantris is good too but the constant POV jumping left me feeling a little annoyed. Some people enjoy POV jumping, I don't. So, it's really a question of personal taste.

To clarify what I mean by POV jumping, Sanderson uses a rigid plot structure from three POVs that play out in a repeated sequence. 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, over and over again until the very end of the book.

The reason it becomes problematic is you'll get into Character 1's story and just as it reaches a high point, the chapter ends and you move on to character 2... And then just as her story reaches a high point, the chapter ends and you move on to character 3. Over and over again.

I like multiple POVs but I feel they should transition in a more natural way. Stay with a character until it feels like that person's story has reached a natural pause. Sort of like what RJ did in Eye of the World and Great Hunt.

Now, I'm not saying that Elantris is bad (In fact, I loved it) but I do want to give you an idea of what to expect.
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.