art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > George R. R. Martin
User Name
Password

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Assuming Illyrio is on his side, then why give the dragon eggs to Dany?
I tend to agree here. Even if you think they are stones now, there is zero reason to give them up given their value and symbolism to the Targaryens. If he was always backing Aegon, he wouldn't have helped out Danys that much. My guess is that he was supporting House Targaryen period and has jumped from heir to heir in the hopes of getting one of them back on the throne.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I think Aegon is a complete fake but I have nothing to back it up other than feeling he's just a mummers dragon/red herring based on his late entry into the proceedings.
Yeah, I got that feeling too, and not just for Aegon. ADWD starts off with a lot of promise but with Quentyn biting it and so many other plot lines being introduced, you just have to wonder how many of those are going to be fruitless.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 06-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Elder

alleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud of

Quote:
Assuming Illyrio is on his side, then why give the dragon eggs to Dany?
I don't imagine he actually thought they would hatch. The Targaryens have been trying for hundreds of years to hatch dragon eggs and have only met with disaster (i.e., Summerhall). The fact that Daenerys actually pulled it off was nothing short of a miracle.

And Illyrio and Varys are not all knowing, for that matter. I doubt they now anything about Jon Targaryen either, to use an example.

Bloodraven, on the other hand, he seems to know everything about everyone, but, then again, he can also see into the past. Varys and Illyrio don't have that advantage.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Elder

alleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud ofalleluia_cone has much to be proud of

Quote:
I tend to agree here. Even if you think they are stones now, there is zero reason to give them up given their value and symbolism to the Targaryens. If he was always backing Aegon, he wouldn't have helped out Danys that much. My guess is that he was supporting House Targaryen period and has jumped from heir to heir in the hopes of getting one of them back on the throne.
You're getting this wrong. He wanted Drogo and his horde to invade Westeros in order to clear way for Aegon. They could have always assassinated Daenerys and Viserys later. This is why he let the assassination plot go through while still warning Jorah Mormont to stop it. He needed to give Drogo his impetus to invade.

Seriously, do a little exercise in your head: Imagine Varys is a Blackfyre that was castrated in order to prevent him from reproducing and then cast off to live as a beggar. Then rewind the whole story in your mind from the time Varys arrived in King's Landing and started poisoning Ary's mind against his allies and against Rhaegar. See how everything makes sense now?

Also, Varys shaves his head for a reason -- he has gold/silver hair.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
Yeah, I got that feeling too, and not just for Aegon. ADWD starts off with a lot of promise but with Quentyn biting it and so many other plot lines being introduced, you just have to wonder how many of those are going to be fruitless.
The Quentyn plot line was not pointless. It might very well provoke a situation where Dorne ends up turning against Daenerys, especially after they hear about her laughing at his proposal and she shows up with only charred bones in hand.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:

T where did you find that screen cap! I have been looking for a good site for the last two episodes to find a specific capture to no avail...that is a good clear one which I want for a different scene!
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleluia_cone View Post
You're getting this wrong. He wanted Drogo and his horde to invade Westeros in order to clear way for Aegon. They could have always assassinated Daenerys and Viserys later. This is why he let the assassination plot go through while still warning Jorah Mormont to stop it. He needed to give Drogo his impetus to invade.

Seriously, do a little exercise in your head: Imagine Varys is a Blackfyre that was castrated in order to prevent him from reproducing and then cast off to live as a beggar. Then rewind the whole story in your mind from the time Varys arrived in King's Landing and started poisoning Ary's mind against his allies and against Rhaegar. See how everything makes sense now?

Also, Varys shaves his head for a reason -- he has gold/silver hair.
Interesting bit about his hair...never thought about that angle before. (I dont go on Westeros very often at all and dont keep up with the theories there).

Quote:
That works both ways. Had Drogo invaded and sat Dany on the Iron Throne, its not all that easy to suddenly seat Aegon there after the fact. All the Targaryen supporters would have already endorsed Dany and would have seen Aegon as a pretender regardless of what Connington said. It does make sense that he allowed the attempt to go through to instigate Drogo...but not to simply clear the way for Aegon.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Elder

Quote:
That works both ways. Had Drogo invaded and sat Dany on the Iron Throne, its not all that easy to suddenly seat Aegon there after the fact. All the Targaryen supporters would have already endorsed Dany and would have seen Aegon as a pretender regardless of what Connington said. It does make sense that he allowed the attempt to go through to instigate Drogo...but not to simply clear the way for Aegon.
It would never have gotten to that point. If anything, Aegon would have arrived as a savior to help rid the land of his crazy 'aunt' and her barbarian hordes. Daenerys was, at that point, ultimately easy to kill and the Dothraki horde easy to deal with (i.e., they know nothing about sieging castles).

What really complicated the issue, actually, besides the dragons obviously, was that Littlefinger seriously messed up all of Varys plans by instigating the war between the Lannisters and Starks much sooner than he wanted. Varys and Illyrio talk about this in the chapter where Arya accidentally spies on them.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
T where did you find that screen cap! I have been looking for a good site for the last two episodes to find a specific capture to no avail...that is a good clear one which I want for a different scene!
I can make one for you; I have rips on my computer since I like to have them on hand to rewatch. Just tell me which scene you want.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
I can make one for you; I have rips on my computer since I like to have them on hand to rewatch. Just tell me which scene you want.
Thanks for the offer Terez, I appreciate it! I ended up making my husband do it for me at work as he is a producer/director and HAS ALL THE EDITING EQUIPTMENT! I just don't like asking as it obviously isn't work related and I can only play the "please please I am being nerdy aren't I cute?" card so many times. Don't like to waste them.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
Thanks for the offer Terez, I appreciate it! I ended up making my husband do it for me at work as he is a producer/director and HAS ALL THE EDITING EQUIPTMENT! I just don't like asking as it obviously isn't work related and I can only play the "please please I am being nerdy aren't I cute?" card so many times. Don't like to waste them.
If you can't play the "cute nerdy wife" card every bit as much as you want, he's not playing the husband game fairly.