art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Youngling

Boli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really nice

Why should Ileyna be either reborn again in Rand's lifetime or be linked to Rand at all? Couldn't she just be a woman he loved when he was Lew Therin?

If she was bound to the wheel or linked to LTT/Rand Birgitte would have mentioned her rather than the pural "women" to Rand when they spoke on Tomman Head.

Quote:
To his surprise, several of the small host behind Artur Hawkwing chuckled, and Birgitte, testing her bowstring, laughed. “You always choose women who cause you trouble, Lews Therin.” It had a fond sound, as between old friends.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Did RJ add any caveats to that? Because I know hw's said that Rand has lived in all seven Ages which would mean that he HAS to be born without the ability to channel at some point.
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Also, Terez, is the quote you linked the one that people use to claim channeling is linked to the soul? Because if so, then I believe people are misinterpreting it.

RJ basically said that if you're born with the ability to channel - whether you use it or not - you'll be born with it again the next time around.

But that doesn't mean the ability is linked to your soul. It could just as easily mean that if you channel in one life, the Wheel will hold your soul in reserve until a channeling body becomes available.

My view has always been that your soul determines what side of the Power you will use (saidin or saidar) but your body determines whether or not you will have the ability to work with the One Power. Nynaeve's healing of Siuan seems to suggest that the ability to channel is essentially a part of the brain.

I don't think there's such a thing as channeling souls vs non-channeling souls. I think it's a case of the Wheel holding you in reserbe until the appropriate body becomes available. And we still have to determine if RJ's words apply to Ages where the ability to channel is unknown to mankind. Rand would be a non-channeler in those ages.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

The Dragon can be reborn as a learner without anyone to guide him into channelling.

"I want a T-shirt with that sign, that some people need a high five... in the face... with a chair." -Slash
Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Youngling

Oden will become famous soon enoughOden will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
RJ basically said that if you're born with the ability to channel - whether you use it or not - you'll be born with it again the next time around.

But that doesn't mean the ability is linked to your soul. It could just as easily mean that if you channel in one life, the Wheel will hold your soul in reserve until a channeling body becomes available.
If your soul always is reincarnated in a channellers body, then that means that the soul is tied to channelling, i.e. the ability is linked (albeit indirectly) to the soul.

"I want a T-shirt with that sign, that some people need a high five... in the face... with a chair." -Slash
Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

I know that Rand is a special case but he seems to have exactly the same strenght and talents at LTT had. RJ said that the channelling gene was recessive but if the soul is not the more significant what is the chances that the dragon would be reborn into a body that had exactly the right genes to give him the same strenght and abilities.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

I'm not going to win any friends with this statement, but I truthfully think that the Dragon Soul isn't linked to any one woman. There is no love for him that lasts through the ages, like Birgitte and gaidal. His fate and purpose is altogether different, and while he may find love in each of his incarnations, that doesn't make them "soul mates", nor does it mean that those women are somehow linked to each other.

Ilyena was Lews Therin's love, and he did love her, but that doesn't mean that she's somehow linked to the Dragon Soul - just to Lews Therin's Turning. Same with the girls. They're all extraordinary in their own ways, but there is nothing whatsoever about them to suggest that they should be Heroes. They're just souls that were linked to Rand's Turning, this time around.

I think we sometimes lose sight of the fact that the Heroes of the Horn are not some huge body of souls - it's not. It's a small group of elite, new ones are not added with any regularity that we know of, notwithstanding Hawkwing's comment in tGH. Just beacsue we love and honour our favourite characters and their deeds in this Turning doesn't mean that they merit becoming a Hero...

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
I know that Rand is a special case but he seems to have exactly the same strenght and talents at LTT had. RJ said that the channelling gene was recessive but if the soul is not the more significant what is the chances that the dragon would be reborn into a body that had exactly the right genes to give him the same strenght and abilities.
Considering the Pattern's 3000+ year breeding program to produce Rand at the right time and place with the right lineage to be the Dragon Reborn, the chance of him having the necessary genetics to be as strong (or stronger) than LTT are pretty good.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
I think we sometimes lose sight of the fact that the Heroes of the Horn are ...a small group of elite... Just beacsue we love and honour our favourite characters and their deeds in this Turning doesn't mean that they merit becoming a Hero...
This was my thought when first reading this thread yesterday as well. I haven't gone through all the 'off-screen' material some of the rest of you have, but as far as the books are concerned there is nothing in them to imply that Ilyena was anything more than a sweet, beautiful wife for the Dragon. The closest an implication comes is when Ishamael calls her 'Ilyena Sunhair', yet a special name for the Dragon's wife/consort/etc would not be off-base either. This doesn't qualify her for HotH status.

Also, when the Heroes met Rand in tGH and Rand mentions Egwene being in danger, they had a chuckle and a comment from Birgitte over LTT's connection with trouble and women. (Chapter 47..I'm at work so don't have my book with me, and can't get the quote from the summaries I find online, but I found enough that it'll be found in that chapter). In any case, the comment does not seem to imply LTT was linked with any one woman.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Did RJ add any caveats to that? Because I know hw's said that Rand has lived in all seven Ages which would mean that he HAS to be born without the ability to channel at some point.
Your logic resembles swiss cheese.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
The Dragon can be reborn as a learner without anyone to guide him into channelling.

Sure, that works for Rand but what about all the others? Are they all just learners with no one to teach them? More importantly, how does that lead to the ability to channel being lost to mankind? You see, Sparkers are only necessary to get things started. Even if no other Sparkers are born from this point onward, there are still powerful channeling institutions that can find and teach all the Learners. The only way that channeling can be lost is if people with the ability stop being born all together.

So if it's true that "Once a channeler always a channeler" then you have a whole lot of people who spend probably half of each Cycle (3 out of 7 Ages at least) in limbo. Without being born at all.

Which kind of seems contrary to what RJ intended. That's why I think his statement might have included some caveats. Possibly stuff he didn't mention because it didn't occur to him at the time. It's also one of the reasons why I don't think interview quotes should be considered canon. A guideline certainly, but I've seen a few interview quotes that have been contradicted by the books.

One example of this is the interview quote where RJ insists that the True Power is completely undetectable to anyone but the user and then we learn that isn't exactly true. The True Power is only detectable to people who have been given permission to use it and that is a very select few.

It's not that RJ lied and it's not that he changed his rules. It's that you're dealing with one of the most complex magic systems in modern fantasy, one with not only dozens of rules but also exceptions to those rules. And its hard for one man to keep track of all those exceptions. That's why RJ hired Maria. So, when he mentions things like "Only the user can detect weaves of the true power" he forgets to say "BUT..." simply because there are too many other things going on at a signing. RJ's a brilliant man but his world is enormously complicated.

I'm pretty sure the statement "if you channel in one life, you'll be able to channel in the next" was only intended to apply to Ages where the One Power is known to mankind.

I still think Min is Ilyena. I don't think she can channel but I don't think it matters because Min is one of a kind. She is the only one with her ability at this point in history and while RJ said there will be others in the coming Age who can do what Min does, at the moment, she is one of a kind.

Her ability is remarkably similar to foretelling and as such, I believe that Min has a mutation of the channeling gene. In other words, people who are born with Min's ability will be drawn from the pool of potential channelers. Depending on the body they get spun out in (which version of the special gene it has) they will either have the ability to channel or experience visions.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
It's full of protein and delicious?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure, that works for Rand but what about all the others? Are they all just learners with no one to teach them? More importantly, how does that lead to the ability to channel being lost to mankind? You see, Sparkers are only necessary to get things started. Even if no other Sparkers are born from this point onward, there are still powerful channeling institutions that can find and teach all the Learners. The only way that channeling can be lost is if people with the ability stop being born all together.
Or if the Seanchan win.

Then you would have a situation in which only the sparkers actually channel, whereas the learners are either sul'dam or (if male) totally uninvolved with the OP altogether. Take the sparkers out of the equation, and OP use stops.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Her ability is remarkably similar to foretelling and as such...
I've always thought her ability was similar or the same as the Aelfinn, which would have nothing to do with the One Power if true.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
I've always thought her ability was similar or the same as the Aelfinn, which would have nothing to do with the One Power if true.
It has nothing to do with the Power either way, as we've been told repeatedly, but RJ said it's not the same as what the Aelfinn do.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Youngling

Jasin Natael is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boli View Post
Why should Ileyna be either reborn again in Rand's lifetime or be linked to Rand at all? Couldn't she just be a woman he loved when he was Lew Therin?

If she was bound to the wheel or linked to LTT/Rand Birgitte would have mentioned her rather than the pural "women" to Rand when they spoke on Tomman Head.
Probably true, but she could just be referring to the fact that LTT's ex is Lanfear. And for all we know, Ilenya could've been as reckless as Elayne.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasin Natael View Post
Probably true, but she could just be referring to the fact that LTT's ex is Lanfear. And for all we know, Ilenya could've been as reckless as Elayne.
Well, we do know that both are blondes and have similar names. But we otherwise do not know much about Ilyena, other than she was blond, beautiful, a channeler, LTT's wife, had some kids with LTT, and was killed by LTT when he went mad.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Youngling

Seth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Baker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head at the loops he was going through to disregard the plain words that Robert Jordan gave us and read a contrary interpretation that supported his pre-existing viewpoint.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Youngling

anenu is an unknown quantity at this point

Considering the importance of Rand who is the primary HoTH and who as far as we know is only spun out to fight the dark one I would say that it is very possible that the wheel has created more than one woman to be tied to him and while the last time he was reborn only one of those women was spun out, or at least only one was spun out and destined to be with him in that life, it is possible that he has more than one connected to him and as such all three of the women are HoTH but they are not all spun out each age.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand, it's also possible that he does not have an actual soul mate, and so simply has to make do with whatever girl or girls happen to be around each time he's spun out.
For all we know, the Dragon is routinely spun out 7 times in each Fifth Age, being a lifelong bachelor every one of those times.