art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future
Default Finished my reread - favorite scene(s) from each book

If you feel like listing yours, please do.

My favorite scenes, in order (NS will be first) are:

NS - Aiel saluting Lan
tEotW - Moiraine recounts Manatheran's fall
tGH - Rand becomes a blade master
tDR - Matt beating the stuffing out of Gawyn and Galad
tSR - Battle of Emond's field
tFoH - Battle for Cairhien
LoC - Dumai's Wells
aCoS - Matt in Ebou Dar (all good)
tPoD - Fedwin Morr succumbing to madness and having to be killed, very sad
WH - Matt kidnapping Tuon
CoT - Scenes where Matt is trying to figure out Tuon
KoD - Loial's marriage and subsequent taking up a long-handled axe
tGS - Rand's redemption
ToM - Rand saving Maradon; honorable mention is when Matt tells off the snakes as he is fleeing the Tower of Genji.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."

Last edited by Res_Ipsa; 07-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

NS - Moiraine's duel with Merean
tEotW - Rand's first encounter with Min in Baerlon
tGH - The death and redemption of Ingtar
tDR - Mat rescuing the girls in the Stone of Tear
tSR - Rand's trip through the Glass Columns
tFoH - Rand reading Moiraine's letter
LoC - Dumai's Wells
aCoS - Rand & Min meeting Caraline, and his duel w/Toram Riatin
tPoD - the assassination attempt & death of Fedwin Morr
WH - the Cleansing
CoT - Mat & Tuon was all that saved this book...
KoD - the capture of Semirhage
tGS - Rand balefiring Natrin's Barrow
ToM - Rand's meeting w/the Borderlanders; Rand in the WT
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
tGH - The death and redemption of Ingtar
That is definitely a great scene; when it happened again with Noal/Jain in ToM I thought of Ingtar's sacrifice. "The Light, and Shinowa!"

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

The further I went the less I could limit myself to individual scenes.

NS - Moiraine's testing.
tEotW - Rand meeting Elaida
tGH - Rand meeting Siuan, Moiraine and Verin (including preparation with Lan). Ingtar death sequence.
tDR - Mat vs the G's. Perrin's blacksmithing scene.
tSR - So many things. Perrin in Eomends field. Rand and Mat visiting Rhuidean (whole segment is epic for many reasons). Nynaeve fighting Moghedien.
tFoH - Mat laying out plans for the battle at Cairhien. Rand and Avienda getting it on.
LoC - Nynaeve's healing of Siuan, Leane and Logain. Dumai's Wells. Egwene meeting Lan. Mat arriving in Salidar and meeting "Charlies WoT-Angels".
aCoS - Nynaeve breaking her block. Mat and Tylin. Mat and the sea folk.
tPoD - Egwene taking control of the rebel AS
WH - The cleansing and the desperate attacks by the forsaken.
CoT - Scenes with Mat.
KoD - The trolloc battle at Lord Algarin's manor and the subsequent internal dialogue Rand has with LTT. Mat.
tGS - Rand's redemption. Egwene's scenes
ToM - Rand saving Maradon. Mat, Thom and Noal rescuing Moiraine. Perrin and Galad. Mah'alleinir.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Youngling

Jasin Natael is an unknown quantity at this point

EOTW: Thom and the Fade in Whitebridge. And almost everything Agelmar Jagad says or does.
TGH: Barthanes' manor. The Shienarin soldiers. Nynaeve's testing
TDR: Group of thugs plus three Fades. Door bursts open. Blink. Three Fades back to back, thugs dead, two dead Aiel.
TSR: Alcair Dal. Nynaeve v Moghedien
TFOH: Morgase breaks compulsion.
LOC: The Wells.
ACOS: Toram Riatin fight.
TPOD: Long time since I read this one.
WH: Far Madding
COT: Loial and Karldin.
KOD: Band v Elbar.
TGS: Natrin's Barrow.
TOM: That Borderlands watchtower at the start. Close to my favourite moment in the series as a whole. Random borderlanders, non heroes. No channeling, no wolf senses, no luck, no ta'verenness. No DEM. They know they are going to die, and nothing can stop that. They've fought the Shadow their whole lives, and their reward is to be massacred as a footnote to the story, as a tower nobody really cares about. But they're still going to fight as best they can.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
Rand and Avienda getting it on.
Working "Blue" eh Tomp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasin Natael View Post
TOM: That Borderlands watchtower at the start. Close to my favourite moment in the series as a whole. Random borderlanders, non heroes. No channeling, no wolf senses, no luck, no ta'verenness. No DEM. They know they are going to die, and nothing can stop that. They've fought the Shadow their whole lives, and their reward is to be massacred as a footnote to the story, as a tower nobody really cares about. But they're still going to fight as best they can.
That is a great scene, it got my mental nerd fist pumping

Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Reading these comments makes me realize that as much as I love the character Mat, I despise his plot line. All of Ebou Dar - from arriving at Salidar to reuniting with the Band - is one big tedious bag of annoyance to me.

I am finishing LoC on my reread and kindof dreading the next couple of months' reading.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 07-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
Reading these comments makes me realize that as much as I love the character Mat, I despise his plot line. All of Ebou Dar - from arriving at Salidar to reuniting with the Band - is one big tedious bag of annoyance to me.

I am finishing LoC on my reread and kindof dreading the next couple of months' reading.
Really? That is kind of how I feel about Perrin's plotline post Dumai's Well. I loved Matt in Ebou Dar and felt it was a good progression for how he met Tuon.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
Really? That is kind of how I feel about Perrin's plotline post Dumai's Well. I loved Matt in Ebou Dar and felt it was a good progression for how he met Tuon.
Not much of a fan of Perrin's plotline post Dumai's Wells either - although the Slayer confrontation was pretty awesome.

I think in both cases that it is RJ's flawed ability to effectively write out gender wars from the female perspective. Nynaeve, Elayne, Tuon, Faile, Berelain and all the secondary women around them (with very few exceptions...Birgitte, for example) are mindnumbingly annoying in their trite, stereotypical male-bashing characterization. Blech.

And I start CoS tomorrow.

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 07-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Elder

Quote:
Not much of a fan of Perrin's plotline post Dumai's Wells either - although the Slayer confrontation was pretty awesome.

I am there with you, I tended to skim-read most of Perrin's plotlines in my reread of anything past Dumai's Wells. The last hunt beginning, fighting Slayer, and forging the hammer/battle are some of the few scenes I would intensely read. The Shaido's defeat was nice but I associate that with RJ taking way too long to wrap up Perrin rescuing Faile. I might be more forgiving if it did not take four books for Perrin to stop whining about being a leader.

Quote:
I think in both cases that it is RJ's flawed ability to effectively write out gender wars from the female perspective. Nynaeve, Elayne, Tuon, Faile, Berelain and all the secondary women around them (with very few exceptions...Birgitte, for example) are mindnumbingly annoying in their trite, stereotypical male-bashing characterization. Blech.

Is there a male writer who can effectively write the battle of the sexes? I think RJ had a decent premise, neither sex can understand the other completely, but then found every excuse to rearrange skirts and lift eyebrows (he got bogged down in the little strokes, and forgot about the entire painting).

Quote:
And I start CoS tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Youngling

Jasin Natael is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Is there a male writer who can effectively write the battle of the sexes?
Male writer? That kinda undermines your point, and is pretty sexist to boot.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasin Natael View Post
Male writer? That kinda undermines your point, and is pretty sexist to boot.
Ihvon said RJ was bad at the battle of the sexes. RJ was a man. I asked is there a man who is good at it? It was not a rhetorical statement. How now brown cow does that weaken my argument? Try and avoid conclusory arguments this time.

As to your sexist comment, it gets old when intemperates speak the first offended remark that comes to their mind, without bothering to understand what is actually being said or better yet presume some motivation that more accurately describes their own sad mental state than it does the accused. The word itself is meant to put the receiver on the defensive and is used by a lesser order of mind to equivocate or proffer the statement as some form of intelligent remark. The only reason it succeeds is because of the culture of political correctness within our society dictates that the use of offended words be a constant pressure that squeezes the life out of actual discussion. All of that was just a fancy way of saying feel free to ignore me from now on, as it will save you the mental anguish of knowing that Res_Ipsa spouts mean and hurtful things that make you downright sorry to be an "X" (whatever subset you are claiming umbrage for in your self-righteous crusade to relieve your self-guilt).

Last edited by Res_Ipsa; 07-13-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

tEotW: Rand and Mat's journey from Whitebridge to Caemlyn
tGH: Barthanes' party
tDR: Rand vs Ishamael
tSR: the Rhuidean scene, but there are many more in this book too
tFoH: Rand vs Rahvin (similar to the Rand vs Ishamael in tDR; I like them both)
LoC: my favorite book, so pretty much all of it. Dumai's Wells is awesome, though
aCoS: stuff in Ebou Dar: meeting the Kin, Mat thinking the beggars' big sack was for stealing his money, the gholam
tPoD: Rand's campaign against the Seanchan
WH: everything in Far Madding is pretty fun, also the Cleansing
CoT: when Perrin opens the bag and the weevils fall out. Lol jk, really it's...um...um...actually that is pretty much the most exciting scene in CoT
KoD: the Trolloc attack on the manor
tGS: lots in here too: Rand BF'ing Semi/Natrin's Barrow, Egwene, the attack on the Tower, Rand on Dragonmount
ToM: the Tower of Ghenjei

I'm probably forgetting a lot of good stuff...
Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
The gholam
. . . always bugged me. It is way too powerful of a character. I know RJ gave us some exposition when he told us that is only why a few pairs were made. Initially, it was a cool creature but then it just got old realizing that he is going to kill everyone but Matt until Matt managed to get it in the gateway.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
. . . always bugged me. It is way too powerful of a character. I know RJ gave us some exposition when he told us that is only why a few pairs were made. Initially, it was a cool creature but then it just got old realizing that he is going to kill everyone but Matt until Matt managed to get it in the gateway.
Suppose that a gholam manages to kill 100 people a day, every day. That's 36,525 people a year, on average. Assume that now and then they take some time off for visiting their mother, and the six gholams together would kill about 200,000 people a year. That is a lot, but on the other hand, in a world war which kills somethings like 80% or more of the entire human population, it is not really remarkable.

So the gholam is really what it is meant to be: a specialised weapon aimed at a specific type of person.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Suppose that a gholam manages to kill 100 people a day, every day. That's 36,525 people a year, on average. Assume that now and then they take some time off for visiting their mother, and the six gholams together would kill about 200,000 people a year. That is a lot, but on the other hand, in a world war which kills somethings like 80% or more of the entire human population, it is not really remarkable.

So the gholam is really what it is meant to be: a specialised weapon aimed at a specific type of person.
I understand the point you are raising but I still think the Gholam was an over powerful bad guy. Because it was so powerful, it required that the books have a very clearly tailored "allowable" situations. In Ebou Dar it was to remain secret, in Caemlyn it was to go after Matt first, etc.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I think that in Ebou Dar, it was operating under instructions from Sammael. He gave his orders based at least in part on the experience he'd gotten in the War of the Power, when people had managed to work out ways of dealing with gholam. For all we know, balefire would actually have worked. So then the "don't draw attention, and you'll be longer useful" made sense.
Later on the gholam was commanded by Moridin, who had Mat (and Perrin) on his death list. Moridin was less interested in keeping tools after they'd achieved the results he was after, so he reasoned that losing the gholam would be acceptable, if it also got rid of Mat. If that could not be achieved, then secrecy was still of value.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Is there any actual indication that it was taking orders from Moridin, or are you just theorizing?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Someone gave it orders:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToM, Chapter 9, Blood in the Air
"I've been told to kill them all," the gholam said softly. "To bring you out. The man with the mustache, the aged one who interfered last time, the little dark-skinned woman who holds your affection. All of them, unless I take you now."
It is speculation that this is Moridin, true. But then, it does seem to be good speculation.

He's on top of the Shadow heap right now, and the gholam is a very valuable resource. So he would be likely to use the gholam if he learned about its existence.
None of the other Forsaken has shown a really pressing wish to kill Mat (unless he refused to dance with them).
Moridin was on the scene when Elayne and friends left Ebou Dar, and the gholam was there too. The only other Forsaken we know about that have been there are Sammael (who has an alibi), Semirhage (who also has an alibi, and wasn't there yet), and Moghedien, who is one of Moridin's pets.

All in all, I would say that the odds are very good that the gholam was gettings its orders from Moridin.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
It is speculation that this is Moridin, true. But then, it does seem to be good speculation.
Someone theorized a while back that Demandred might have gained control of it. Which would make sense, as the gholam passed through Murandy, and last we heard before Verin's gateway, it was still on Mat's trail (though Mat speculated it was following Luca to Lugard instead), with no reason to believe it had gotten orders from anyone. It was hanging out in the Tarasin Palace at the same time Moridin was, but there was no indication that Moridin knew it was there. In the gholam's POV, it came across the residue of Moridin's True Power weaving and was not quite able to remember what that feeling was. And then he ate the body of the man Moridin had killed.

Quote:
None of the other Forsaken has shown a really pressing wish to kill Mat (unless he refused to dance with them).
Demandred has taken an active interest in the Band, though. A smart thing for a Great Captain to do, you must admit.