art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): rtolhurstalle,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Wheel of Time Resources > Transcripts
User Name
Password

Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Orem signing: WoT questions

Question: I have to admit, I’ve read everything except for your Wheel of Time books, because I’m having a hard time getting through book 11, I lose track of all the characters, and the plot.
Brandon: I know how you feel. If you ever decide that you want to get back in them, there is the WoT Encyclopedia which has chapter summaries for all the books, so you can jump right into book 12. There’s another one called WoT summary that’s very good too.
Question: What’s the release date? January 3rd?
Brandon: January 8th. Or 9th.
Zas: 8th.
Brandon: 8th. These guys know better than I do.

Question: Any spoilers for A Memory of Light?
Brandon: Let’s see here. Harriet killed a character in the book that I did not intend to kill. So I wrote the entire book with a character living and she killed this character.
Question: Did she tell you right before you finished, or what?
Brandon: She sent back the draft and said "This person dies."
Question: So did you have to change a lot?
Brandon: So they succumb to their wounds. I intended them to live, so there is a character who died unexpectedly. So that’s a slight spoiler. There is like a chapter that’s over a hundred pages. It’s a Super Chapter.

Question: Did you have to invent any of it yourself, or did Jordan leave a lot of it for you?
Brandon: He left some of it for me, and then I had to make the rest. As you’re reading through the books, probably about half and half. Half will be stuff that he wrote notes on, half will be stuff that I wrote.

Question: Do you feel like it comes pretty easy?
Brandon: Some of it does. I mean I’ve been reading since I was a kid. So some of the characters like Perrin is very natural for me. And Rand’s super natural for me. Others are a little less natural for me.
Question: Like Mat.
Brandon: Yes, like Mat. Mat’s harder for me to write.
Question: Why is that?
Brandon: Because Mat is very complex. Not to say that Perrin’s not, but Perrin’s straightforward. You know what I mean? Perrin says what he means, and does what he means. Mat says the opposite of what he means, and does the opposite of what he says. Making that tone correct for that is very hard. He’s one part rapscallion, the other part Awesomeness. And balancing when he’s playing the fool, and when he’s just being awesome is very hard to get that balance down, because you don’t want it to be silly, you know he can play the fool a bit but he shouldn’t be silly. Otherwise it won’t match from when he’s being Awesome as well, if that makes sense.

... [37:50]

Brandon: So, Bradley. Any questions for me?
Bradley: Um, none that I feel won't get RAFO'd. Really, every possible question that I can think of is probably big enough that you're just going to say, "Wait until January." Which kind of hurts me inside, but at the same time, that's the way it's always been.
Fan: Ask it anyway.
Fan: Or at least for the recorder...
Brandon: That's right. I'm being recorded for this so I can't tell too many secrets.
Bradley: That's true. Exactly.
Fan: That's the point. [...]
Brandon: Well, the last book is actually...I gave into what I've been wanting to do all along, and I made it a crossover with Twilight. (laughter)
Bradley: Yes! See, I've always wanted that moment when it's got Nynaeve being awesome, and then Edward shows up and sparkles at her.
Brandon: Yeah, right, well it's a meeting between Bella and Bela, right?
Fans: Ohhhh! (laughter)
Bradley: They're also both Darkfriends.
Fan: Bella rides on Bela? I can see it now.
Brandon: Yep, yep...

Loialson (Travyl): Did Rand tell Darlin what Darlin responded to Egwene's letter, or was that all Darlin?
Brandon: RAFO.
Loialson: Dangit!
Brandon: I don't want to say anything about that because there's a potential confrontation coming up between all of these folks, and so there may be mention made of what various people knew and didn't know.
Loialson: Okay.
Brandon: It's not a big RAFO—it's not like there's some big secret there—but I don't want to say anything that's going to spoil a potential read of scenes that are coming.

Loialson: Okay, great. Second question. Does Demandred even have an alter ego?
Brandon: Yes, he does.
Loialson: Okay, cause we've been trying to figure out who the heck is it, and we can't figure it out. We're thinking Roedran, but it's like, too obvious.
Brandon: Here's the thing: Robert Jordan said that Demandred did not appear until Knife of Dreams, and so I have been very hesitant about saying whether or not he'd appeared—I think I've said whether or not he'd appeared on screen in my books—but the reason is, if I give you a yes or no—if he's appeared, yes or no—then that narrows it down to like just a few characters, that are introduced in mine, so I've been very hesitant about answering that. Demandred does have an alter ego. He has been up to some very cool things. There are people online who have guessed correctly. And so, I will say that much.
Loialson: Is he in Randland?
Brandon: I won't say whether or not he's in Randland.
Fan: He's not in Shara! He can't be in Shara!
Fan: Okay, next question.

Question: Why is Dashiva never resurrected? He was killed with a ball of fire by Elza, not balefire....
Brandon: Yes, I know.
Question: Why is he dead?
Brandon: Robert Jordan once said that res...transmigrating a soul had not just to do with the way that they were killed but the time and...not necessarily just a weave, but why and how. I am not going to delve too much into transmigration. Robert Jordan did speak on these sorts of things. And so, the Dark One also might not think that the person was an asset worth bringing back.
Question: Dashiva kinda sucks.
Brandon: I'm not gonna say, but those are all factors in this.

Loialson: Was the original intention of the Eye of the World to be a second option to reseal the Bore?
Brandon: As far as I know, no. Now, that's the sort of thing that could be buried in the notes, but you know, I've read a lot of them, and as far as I know, no, that's not the purpose.
Loialson: Did the makers originally have a specific intention? Because I don't think Rand used it in the way they intended.
Brandon: I believe that they did have a specific intention.
Loialson: Did Rand use it alright, to their intentions?
Brandon: Um, Rand...um...
Loialson: That felt like a big waste to me.
Brandon: Yeah. I was...I will RAFO that. But I will say that they did have a specific intention.

Loialson: Mat's dice in his head. Are they real? Do they come from Sindhol? Are they from his ta'veren nature, or is it just a plot device? (laughter)
Brandon: Everything that I've read in the notes indicates that they are from his ta'veren nature, and that they are a manifestation of being ta'veren [?] related to his [?]
Loialson: One of Perrin's manifestations, visions in the Wolf Dream...
Brandon: Partially. Perrin's manifestation is also...he draws to him things that he needs; what he needs comes to Perrin. That's actually his primary manifestation of being ta'veren.
Loialson: So what's the difference between what Perrin does and what Egwene does?
Brandon: Oh boy. Can I get into this? They are similar, but not the same. What Egwene does is partially a Talent of the Power, and it's related to the Power. And Perrin is not.
Loialson: Is it [?] him being a Wolfbrother?
Brandon: Yes.
Loialson: [?] if he chose to.
Brandon: It is related to him being a Wolfbrother.
Loialson: Why can the wolves not see it?
Brandon: I honestly don't remember the answer to that.
Loialson: That's okay...

Loialson: In the prologue, Isam is hired by a female that is not known. Is that Lanfear/Cyndane?
Brandon: Oh, I'm TOTALLY gonna RAFO that. Come ON! Come on. You KNEW I was gonna RAFO that. That's very important to the book.
Loialson: Okay, related: Moridin says 'the one who must be punished the most'. Obviously that's gotta be Cyndane, right?
Brandon: Okay, yes. That is Cyndane.
Loialson: So, is it possible that what happened in the epilogue, she was really going through that torture.
Brandon: You will have to see it. RAFO. Okay, like someone [inaudible] related. I don't think, by the way...when you read the book, what Cyndane is up to should be of paramount importance to you, and DO NOT believe everything that you think happens in the book.
Loialson: From her point of view, or from our point of view?
Brandon: From your point of view, regarding her.
Loialson: Oh, boy.

Last edited by Terez; 09-24-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Youngling

maleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the roughmaleshub is a jewel in the rough

Thanks! Very interesting! And it is now confirmed that the most punished is Cyndane, not (ex)-Graendhal.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fan: That's the point. [...]
???

Quote:
Brandon: It's not a big RAFO—it's not like there's some big secret there—but I don't want to say anything that's going to spoil a potential read of scenes [?].
...of scenes that are coming.

Quote:
Brandon: Here's the thing: Robert Jordan said that Demandred did not appear until Knife of Dreams, and so I have been very hesitant about saying whether or not he'd appeared—I think I've said whether or not he'd appeared on screen in my books—but the reason is, if I give you a yes or no—if he's appeared, yes or no—then that narrows it down to like just a few characters, that are introduced [in mine?], so I've been very hesitant about answering that. Demandred does have an alter ego. He has been up to some very cool things. There are people online who have guessed correctly. And so, I will say that much.
... in mine ...

Quote:
Brandon: Robert Jordan once said that res...transmigrating a soul had not just to do with the way that they were killed but the time and...[not?] just a weave, but why and how.
???

Quote:
I am not going to delve too much into transmigration. Robert Jordan did speak on these sorts of things. And so, the Dark One also [might think?] that the person was not worth bringing back.
And so, the Dark One also might not think that the person was an asset worth bringing back.

[bit removed because Brandon requested it]

Quote:
Loialson: Mat's dice in his head. Are they real? Do they come from [Sindhol?] Are they from his ta'veren nature, or is it just [?] (laughter)
Sindhol???
...or is it just a plot device.
Quote:
Brandon: Everything that I've read in the notes indicates that they are from his ta'veren nature, and that they are a manifestation of being ta'veren [?] related to his [?]
Ehr.
Fan: Okay

So there's basically nothing extra here.

Quote:
Loialson: Perrin's manifestations [visions in the Wolf Dream]...
Brandon: Perrin's manifestation is also...he draws to him what he needs; what he needs comes to Perrin. That's actually his primary manifestation of being ta'veren.
Loialson: Perrin's manifestations, visions in the Wolf Dream.
Brandon: Partially. Perrin's manifestation is also...he draws to him what he needs; what he needs comes to Perrin. That's actually his primary manifestation of being ta'veren.
Quote:
Loialson: Why can't the wolves see [Perrin's visions]?
Loialson: Why can't the wolves not see it?

Quote:
Loialson: In the prologue, Isam is hired by a female to [kill Rand?]. Is that Lanfear/Cyndane?
???
This is not "kill Rand", but that's all I can tell.
Quote:
Loialson: Okay, related: Moridin says 'the one who is punished the most'. Obviously that's gotta be Cyndane, right?
Moridin says 'the one who must be punished the most'.

That's a difference which may or may not be relevant.
Quote:
Loialson: So, is it possible that what happened in the epilogue, she was really [?] that torture.
... really going through that torture.

Last edited by Terez; 09-24-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: oopsie
Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, thanks Gonzo. I knew it wasn't 'kill Rand' but since I have no idea what he actually said, well...that is what the mystery woman 'hired' Slayer to do.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

I was going to have a look at this, but Gonzo beat me to it. Then, I was going to have a look at the bit(s) Gonzo didn't get, but the audio got removed.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Sammael View Post
I was going to have a look at this, but Gonzo beat me to it. Then, I was going to have a look at the bit(s) Gonzo didn't get, but the audio got removed.
As Britney predicted.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Youngling

mccullough is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if the removed bit has to do with the rumored change in venue for the release party.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

Quote:
Brandon: Robert Jordan once said that res...transmigrating a soul had not just to do with the way that they were killed but the time and...[not?] [1] just a weave, but why and how. I am not going to delve too much into transmigration. Robert Jordan did speak on these sorts of things. And so, the Dark One also might not[2] think that the person was an asset worth bringing back.
1. "Not necessarily"

2. (italicised) I heard this as "The Dark One also has to think..."

Quote:
Loialson: Was the original intention of the Eye of the World to be a second option to reseal the Bore?
Brandon: As far as I know, no. Now, that's the sort of thing that could be buried in the notes, but you know, I've read a lot of them, and as far as I know, no, that's not the purpose.
Loialson: Did the makers originally have a specific intention?[3]
3. I heard this as "specific intention because I don't think Rand used it in the way they intended."

Quote:
Loialson: Mat's dice in his head. Are they real? Do they come from [Sindhol?][4] Are they from his ta'veren nature, or is it just a plot device? (laughter)
Brandon: Everything that I've read in the notes indicates that they are from his ta'veren nature, and that they are a manifestation of being ta'veren [5] related to his [5]
4. Sindhol is correct.
5. Nothing extra.

Quote:
Loialson: Perrin's manifestations, visions in the Wolf Dream...
Brandon: Partially. [6]Perrin's manifestation is also...[7]he draws to him what he needs; what he needs comes to Perrin. That's actually his primary manifestation of being ta'veren.
6. "One of Perrin's manifestations..."
7. "He draws to him things that he needs..."

Quote:
Brandon: Oh boy. Can I get into this? They are similar, but not the same. What Egwene does is partially a Talent of the Power, and it's related to the Power. And Perrin is not.[8]
8. Missed bit here: "Q. Is it [inaudible] him being a Wolfbrother?
"A. Yes.
"Q. [inaudible] if he chose to.
"A. It is related to him being a Wolfbrother."

Quote:
Loialson: In the prologue, Isam is hired by a female to [kill Rand?][9]. Is that Lanfear/Cyndane?
9. "Isam is hired by a female that is not known. Is that Mierin/Cyndane?"

Quote:
Brandon: You will have to see it. RAFO. [10] I don't think, by the way...when you read the book, what Cyndane is up to should be of paramount importance to you, and DO NOT believe everything that you think happens in the book.
10. Missed bit: "Okay, like someone [inaudible] related."

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Thanks Zombie!