art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read > Tamyrlin's Re-read
User Name
Password

Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
On the other hand, his hatred for AS was at least in part based on Ishamael's manipulations, which will have faded away now that he's dead. Of course, another part was based on knowing AS, but there he's no different than Mat, I think.
Mat=Hawkwing? Hmmmm. But even if he isn't hawkwing reborn, he ought to have hawkwing's memories as one of the best commanders of all time. Why doesn't he? Or is it he just doesn't realize it?

That's off topic though, what I think is that Hawkwing didn't show much dislike of AS or support for damane or seanchan at Falme. He was "bound" to the horn and from what happened, to the Dragon as well.

I've always thought that event was part proof that LTT is bound to all three boys rather than just Rand. But it might just be that Suian was wrong about the horn and the HotH are bound to fight for the light irrespective of who blows the horn.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Given that Moiraine's not in the loop regarding Mat's deaths and probably doesn't have a reason to believe it should work for them, I could see her quite effectively conning Mat into using the Horn to secure a truce (rather than an alliance) between the Seanchan, Rand, and the Tower.

Of course, were the Seanchan to actually blow the Horn and get some Heroes for their effort, I suspect Mat would count that a betrayal, particularly if he thinks Rand doesn't have the Horn for the Last Battle.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Youngling

BlueGray is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
Mat=Hawkwing? Hmmmm. But even if he isn't hawkwing reborn, he ought to have hawkwing's memories as one of the best commanders of all time. Why doesn't he? Or is it he just doesn't realize it?

That's off topic though, what I think is that Hawkwing didn't show much dislike of AS or support for damane or seanchan at Falme. He was "bound" to the horn and from what happened, to the Dragon as well.

I've always thought that event was part proof that LTT is bound to all three boys rather than just Rand. But it might just be that Suian was wrong about the horn and the HotH are bound to fight for the light irrespective of who blows the horn.
Mat has lots of memories of fighting Hawkwing, but none from Hawkwing. I think he noted this fact specifically at some point. However the Eelfinn gather memories, Hawkwing was not a participant.

Tuon also commented to Mat that finding the Horn Sounder is as important as finding the Dragon Reborn. She knows the horn was sounded at Falme and I assume it isn't too far fetched that she knows the tie between sounder and horn. I assumed that meant she wanted both the Horn Sounder and the Dragon Reborn serving under her; that she didn't intend to be the Horn Sounder.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Youngling

Datakim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
It was only when Ishamael showed up and started to poison Hawkwing's mind that the AS might have killed his wife and were up to no good that he declared war on Tar Valon.

That to me says that Hawkwing had mixed views on female channelers. Not to mention that if brought back by the Horn Hawkwing would have access to all his past lives memories.

He may harbour a certain coolness to the Aes Sedai but everyone said Hawkwing was hard but just so I suspect he would be horrifed by the idea of damane.
He considered Rand to be LTT basically and still there was the implication that the two of them or their souls atleast were friends. And LTT was the leader of the Aes Sedai. Its also likely that Ishamael used compulsion on Hawkwing, and that compulsion would not be present in the spirit version. So I think you are right in the view that Hawkwing would be utterly repulsed by what the Seanchan do. He might even be aware that their entire culture was create by the shadow (Ishamael was the one who sent the original expedition).

What I wonder more, is whether or not the horn could be blown in non-combat situations. For example, could Mat fetch the horn from the White Tower, march into Ebou Dar, greet his wife and all the other nobles there, and then suddenly pull out the horn and blow it. Would Hawkwing appear, even though there was no battle to be fought? And if he did, would his words have enough impact to convince the Seanchan to either join with Rand or abandon the Damane system or both.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Youngling

Heinz will become famous soon enoughHeinz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
In the afterlife he will know that he had been manipulated into hating Aes Sedai, and he'll probably recognize exactly who it was who was manipulating him. It will definitely be interesting to see what he has to say about it. Assuming he's there. He might have been spun out, in which case the Seanchan will implode because Tuon isn't pregnant yet.
While paying attention to another thread from the general board I've begun to wonder if this is how an effective truce - which I believe has to address the damane issue - can come about. The overall assumption has always been the sole purpose was for the Heroes to fight when the Horn is sounded. What if Hawkwing telling Tuon how it's going to be is also a critical part to winning the Last Battle?

It has just been an idle speculation, I don't really think there's much to build on.

And re: Mat being Hawkwing reborn.. not possible as I understand it, since Mat is Mat, and Hawkwing was present in Hero form at Falme.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
While paying attention to another thread from the general board I've begun to wonder if this is how an effective truce - which I believe has to address the damane issue - can come about.
It comes up a lot, but I really hope not. It would be disappointing to solve a series-long problem with something as easy as that. I have no doubt the Horn will play a part, but I think the resolution of the conflict will mostly stem from Mat and Tuon's marriage, and I'm fairly sure Egwene will be involved.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:19 AM
Youngling

Abbaaddon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
in which case the Seanchan will implode because Tuon isn't pregnant yet.
Would it mean that Tuon is bound to give birth to a new Hawkwing ? That is how I understood it, and given who his fahter would be, it wouldn't be surprising.

As for Hawkwing's appearance on the battlefield, I'm sure there will be enough signs to make even the most stubborn and uninventive Seanchan recognize their ancestor (something about a sword and a crown or so I'm told). Now, Tuon has been quite opened, if I daresay, to this side of Aryth Ocean way of thinking thanks to Mistress Aran and Mat. She could have, for once in a while, an understanding and useful reaction that would change from the usually "Don't be silly, Toy."
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Youngling

Hugin "Poppa" Cauthon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
But it might just be that Suian was wrong about the horn and the HotH are bound to fight for the light irrespective of who blows the horn.
I think they're bound to the Dragon, regardless of who blows the Horn and/or for which side. When Mat blew it, they showed up, but wouldn't do more than talk until the Dragon Banner was out for them to follow.

Some Randland beliefs have been proven wrong. Some AS certainties have been proven wrong. Why should it be absolutely true that the Heroes will fight for anyone who blows the Horn?

This also falls in line with any ideas of Mat blowing the Horn in a non-battle situation. Because that's exactly what happened - Mat blew the Horn, the Heroes showed up, and everyone had a nice chat until the Banner came out. Horn - Banner = Heroes - battle = potentially enlightening conversation.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Youngling

Stormchi is a jewel in the roughStormchi is a jewel in the roughStormchi is a jewel in the rough
Default Where mah bannahs at?

I got the impression that the hero's needed the banner to participate in the fight, like the horn called them, and then they follow the Dragon's banner into battle. Otherwise I don't know why the Aes Sedai from the age of legends, would hide it under the eye of the world... speaking of which, whatever happened to that banner?

I can just see the armies of the world gathered together at Shayol Ghul, the last battle starting, Mat blows the horn, the heroes show up, just in time to watch the people of the world get eaten by trollocs because someone forgot to take the banner off one of the towers in Cairhien.

(Also no Traveling cause it's Shayol Ghul)
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchi View Post
I can just see the armies of the world gathered together at Shayol Ghul, the last battle starting, Mat blows the horn, the heroes show up, just in time to watch the people of the world get eaten by trollocs because someone forgot to take the banner off one of the towers in Cairhien.

(Also no Traveling cause it's Shayol Ghul)
Burn my eyes, the Lord Dragon's banner should fly above the Stone. Unless Lord . . . I mean King Darlin should take it down for the Lord Dragon to fetch in the middle of the night.

As for Traveling to Shayol Ghul, of course that's ridiculous. You may as well claim one of the Forsaken did that shortly after the Lord Dragon conquered Andor and killed Queen Morgase.

Last edited by Weiramon; 10-04-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbaaddon View Post
Would it mean that Tuon is bound to give birth to a new Hawkwing ? That is how I understood it, and given who his fahter would be, it wouldn't be surprising.
Tuon, now known as Fortuona has wed Matrim Cauthon, who is Artur Hawkwing reborn.

Remember what Lord Turak told Padan Fain?
Quote:
He did not sound as if he expected answers, and in any case, he did not pause for them. I stand twelfth in line of succession to the Crystal Throne. If I kept the Horn of Valere, all between myself and the throne would think I meant to be first hereafter, and while the Empress, of course, wishes that we contend with one another so that the strongest and most cunning will follow her, she currently favors her second daughter, and she would not look well on any threat to Tuon. If I sounded it, even if I then laid this land at her feet, and every woman in the White Tower leashed, the Empress, may she live forever, would surely believe I meant to be more than merely her heir.

The Great Hunt, Chapter 34 "The Wheel Weaves" -- Padan Fain point of view
Indeed. Who blew the Horn of Valere? Who can leash every single woman of the White Tower?

Matrim Cauthon has blown the Horn.
Matrim Cauthon will 'leash' every single woman of the White Tower.

Artur Hawkwing was a King, Matrim Cauthon shall too.

Tylin was right. Matrim is one popular ta'veren, with women.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchi View Post
I got the impression that the hero's needed the banner to participate in the fight, like the horn called them, and then they follow the Dragon's banner into battle.
Indeed, the Banner was required to be seen by the Heroes at Falme. Why?

Answer: The true blind Dragon soul was not present at Falme. Valan Luca was not in the party of Rand, Perrin, Mat Cauthon.

Birgitte knows exactly who the true blind Dragon Reborn is: Valan Luca.

Birgitte is valiant, Valan is valorous.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 10-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixPax View Post
Tuon, now known as Fortuona has wed Matrim Cauthon, who is Artur Hawkwing reborn.
Then which one was a fake, an impostor, a conman intending to do who knows what?
Was it Mat Cauthon who blew the Horn at Falme, or was it Artur Hawkwing who appeared in response to that?
They can't be both the same soul, as in that case the Horn wouldn't have recalled Hawkwing.