art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (3): kchlenkerreni, nartnoahc, rtolhurstalle,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Youngling

instantdeath999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guess it gives me more reason to hurry up and get there, to see what I think. From merely the impressions that I've gotten from other reactions, I think I'll be perfectly fine with a marked increase in pace for the final three volumes. I mean, they are all supposed to form the finale.

For my part, I just started A Path of Daggers, and while I've certainly noticed the slow down in pace (I'd argue that it started all the way back in The Fires of Heaven, but I will say that TFOH is my favorite book in the series so far, even if I think The Shadow Rising is the one of highest quality), but it hasn't really detracted from my enjoyment, even if I do have some rather large criticisms of ACOS (though Mat makes up for what I consider to be a shaky ending).
Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 AM
Youngling

77jester has a spectacular aura about77jester has a spectacular aura about77jester has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
It depends on how you read the books.

For the first group, the increased pace of the last couple of books is an improvement. Whether or not that can be attributed to Brandon is debatable. For the second group...
I would say both points are true and debatable. I introduced my brother to the books a couple of years ago and even though he really enjoyed it, he stopped reading in the middle of Winters Heart cause he felt RJ was beating a dead horse with his series and needed to wrap it up already. I didn't feel that way about WH and CoT til after my 6th or 7th reread. When I first read the series I couldn't put the books down. When I got to WH I was at a job 3 hrs from home, so I read parts of it while driving on the freeway behind a trucker in the slow lane.
But if I'm being honest with myself part of me understands and agrees with my brother. The last 3 books have been a treat to finally get closure on a lot of the plot lines and debunk a whole bunch of stupid theories. Whereas WH and CoT just seemed to linger on and on and on, once I got over my initial fan obsession.
Even with the stylistic differences of RJ and BS the last two books are still great IMHO because it's still RJ's story. The 12 year old in me enjoys the story, and the onion peeler in me realizes that RJ already created the masterpiece of layers. BS's job is to peel the final layers not add more. Because of that view I have read tGS 5 or 6 times and ToM 3 times and enjoyed it.

One thing I will say as a warning to you Instantdeath999 the wheel of time series has ruined all other books for me. No other author compares to Robert Jordan. I haven't found another series that inspired me to reread it over and over again like these books.

What's truly going to test your patience is trying to catch up with the discussions here on theoryland, talk about an onion with many layers
Old 10-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Youngling

instantdeath999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha, that won't be a problem for me, I assure you . I've gotten plenty of recommendations that supposedly are so good they will ruin everything else for me. I find I can usually appreciate different styles authors bring. For example, my favorite fantasy author is probably Matthew Stover (though I could debate with myself for hours on that), and he doesn't come close to ruining fantasy for me, since his style is so different than most authors.

That said, I think WOT will ruin more traditional fantasy for me. Though I've heard mixed things about it, I started Sword of Truth because my brother really enjoys it and recommends it. Just felt like standard fantasy, something Jordan seems to have absolutely mastered. Needless to say, he blew Goodkind out of the water in terms of crafting a complex world that also manages to be a huge page turner. Of course, that may be because it feels Goodkind almost ripped Jordan off in places... but of course he didn't. According to Goodkind, if I notice any similarities between SOT and WOT, I'm not old enough to be reading his books

For what it's worth, I feel the coolest innovation WOT has over most fantasy series I've read is to have the main character steadily go crazy over the course of the series. It's been fun to watch him spiral into insanity. Reminds me of the concept of Breaking Bad, about turning a good guy into a bad guy. Rand isn't turning into a bad guy, per se, but he is turning into something of a tyrant. Can't wait to see where it goes. I'll freely admit I don't understand the people who criticize the books because Rand turns into a jerk: that's one of the most fun parts!

Last edited by instantdeath999; 10-20-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77jester View Post
I would say both points are true and debatable. I introduced my brother to the books a couple of years ago and even though he really enjoyed it, he stopped reading in the middle of Winters Heart cause he felt RJ was beating a dead horse with his series and needed to wrap it up already.
That has basically nothing to do with what I said. All I said is that there are two different ways to read the books, and that the pace of the recent books is not necessarily attributable to Brandon.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Youngling

77jester has a spectacular aura about77jester has a spectacular aura about77jester has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
That has basically nothing to do with what I said. All I said is that there are two different ways to read the books, and that the pace of the recent books is not necessarily attributable to Brandon.
I'm sorry I misunderstood. I thought where you said
Quote:
For the second group...
you were implying that the second group, or those that like pealing the layers, didn't enjoy the last two books. Which Obviously there are plenty, I'm just not one of them.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77jester View Post
I'm sorry I misunderstood. I thought where you said you were implying that the second group, or those that like pealing the layers, didn't enjoy the last two books. Which Obviously there are plenty, I'm just not one of them.
That is absolutely what I was implying, but that still has nothing to do with what you wrote about RJ's slow books. And out of curiosity, how many times have you read WoT?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Youngling

I lost track after 12ish, then it went into bits and pieces I found more interesting for a while. I guess I really should do an introduction post but I don't wanna do that on Instantdeath999's thread, so I'll continue that thought in the newbie section.

As for the earlier thought I was trying to convey that I enjoyed the last two books more than WH and CoT so that puts them on the "more acclaimed" list to me, to follow id999's earlier statement. I meant the both points to refer to 12 yr olds and onion peelers as true and debatable. As for giving BS credit, or not, for the increased pace, that slipped my mind in my comments. I must have read your post too fast.