art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future
Default RJ was a rolling stone?

I was reading Chapter 13 of Lord of Chaos last night and this quote from Elayne quoting Lini: "What you need is not always what you want" struck me bc not 15 mins later, I hear The Rolling Stones song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" with the lyrics:

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need

These lyrics seemed appropriate for the rest of the chapter's focus on finding the bowl. Just thought I would share this amusing little tidbit, I wonder if RJ was a Rolling Stones fan?

Are there any other Lini-isms out there that point to popular music for their origins?

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

"You can’t put honey back in the comb, child."
May be a reference to Lend Me Your Comb by The Beatles, but I sort of doubt it.

"You counted your plums in the basket, not on the tree."
I can't find either a Beatles or a Rolling Stones song for this.

"Fretting makes your face blotchy."
This one, I think, I'll leave as an exercise for others.

There's lots of others, but I am starting to suspect already that Lini got at least some of her inspiration elsewhere.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
"You can’t put honey back in the comb, child."
May be a reference to Lend Me Your Comb by The Beatles, but I sort of doubt it.

"You counted your plums in the basket, not on the tree."
I can't find either a Beatles or a Rolling Stones song for this.

"Fretting makes your face blotchy."
This one, I think, I'll leave as an exercise for others.

There's lots of others, but I am starting to suspect already that Lini got at least some of her inspiration elsewhere.
A for effort. The quotes about men will no doubt be a Gloria Gaynor or Tina Turner song if I had to guess.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 10-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
I wonder if RJ was a Rolling Stones fan?
Everyone in my(and RJ's)age group (vietnam vets, especially) were certainly bombarded by the Rolling Stones if not dedicated fans. You Can't Always Get What You Want was one of the iconic songs of the Vietnam era because of Armed Forces Radio play -- what everyone in Vietnam wanted was to go home; preferably in one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
Are there any other Lini-isms out there that point to popular music for their origins?
Can't think of anything at the moment, but the WOT is full of connections to the 60s and 70s.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Everyone in my(and RJ's)age group (vietnam vets, especially) were certainly bombarded by the Rolling Stones if not dedicated fans.

Musically

Many Elvis song connections to the World of Time -- 50's, 60's, and early 70's
AC/DC -- 70's and 80's.
Beatles -- 60's, early 70's
Smokey Robinson -- 70's, 80's
Alice Cooper -- 60's, 70's, 80's
Jim Morrison -- late 60's, early 70's

Guns N Roses' "Appetite for Destruction" album -- 1987.
Def Lepard's " Hysteria" album -- 1987.

More loosely 'King Crimson' comes to mind, as well, when thinking of Matrim Cauthon's character.

Literature, to name a few

King James Bible, and related texts
Mahabharata
Robert A. Heinlein
Masonic literature
A Thousand and One Nights
Ovid
Steven King writings
Dahomey Amazons (Fon) literature
Sigmund Freud
Carl Gustav Jung

A Television Series

Dallas.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com
Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Youngling

Surmiser is an unknown quantity at this point

i found an old book from my grandfather's box and i am convinced it served as RJ artistic influences for the Wheel of Time.

Our Man Flint - the book by Jack Pearl
the movie has slight differences from the book but one can also observe other elements assimilated in the Wheel

The elements where the similarities noted are as follows:
general plotline-
Thom Merrilin
Tower of Ghenjei
weather control
13x13
Aviendha

James Coburn as Flint: "Now, repeat after me... I am not a pleasure unit... I am not a pleasure unit."