art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Youngling

Maesterbaevern is a jewel in the roughMaesterbaevern is a jewel in the roughMaesterbaevern is a jewel in the roughMaesterbaevern is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLong92 View Post
Yes, but why would the the Wise Ones on Rand's side be afraid then to enter into the Shaido Wise One's normal dreams? Why would Ishmael be able to enter into the boys' normal dreams and effect the physical world?
As for why Amys and friends are avoiding the Shaido's dreams, I have read somewhere (do not how the books here at work and Google did not help) that strong feelings can get you pulled into another's dreams.
Strong feelings can mean both love and hatred and while Egwene had a pleasant encounter with Gawyn, the "Rand Wise Ones" could get pulled by hatred into a Shaido's dream. I do not believe that would be as nice Egwene's and it is therefore they avoid them.

Someone could perhaps help find a section where this is discussed?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

There's a t in Chastity. Why do I know this? That secret belongs to others. Also Cher wrote a song about her. Okay, I will be quite now. I mean quiet.

Chastity Sun, you are the one
That can make me smile
When I'm feeling sad
You come close to me
And my heart goes running free
You are the proof God lives
You are his gift to me

Sweet baby girl
You make my world
Bright and shinning new
When I look at you
In your eyes I see
The world that God meant to be
There's no hate or angry
Just love for humanity
Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp View Post
The tinkers havs had an influx of new members to their group for a couple of thousand years and the aiel haven't (except for Tigraine). The resulting effect would be that aiel would probably be significantly more similar in appearance.

If I'm wrong please point it out. I always want to expand my knowledge on these subjects.
The Aiel do welcome gleemen into the Waste, and let them travel around wherever they like to go. Musicians being the way they are, I suspect that would result in a fairly steady supply of outside genes for the Aiel.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Youngling

Whizbang is an unknown quantity at this point

In tEotW, Lan breaks a knife against the broken pieces of the Seal. The knife did not just stop. The force was not merely absorbed. The Seal was just super hard.

I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like "Whatever force is used against it just makes it stronger". It didn't say it absorbed the force, merely that it becomes stronger when force is applied to it.

On a side note: If the above is true, why didn't the "Watcher of the Seals" constantly, or at least regularly, channel against the Seals to make them stronger? Seems to be a no brainer. Between The BReaking and The Trolloc Wars where they were lost, seems like they could have made the Seals super-duper-extra-ultra-fantastically-strong, and prevent the DO from breaking free. Or, for that matter, once the Seals are found again, just channel into them until they get stronger. Nyn had one for quite some time and was afraid to carry it for fear of breaking it. So, maybe a weak weave to tap against the Seal. Rinse and repeat until it is no longer soft enough to cut. Then, increase the power of the weave. Rinse and repeat until you hammer at the thing with Balefire (which, BTW, doesn't seem to destroy Cuendillar objects).
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
In tEotW, Lan breaks a knife against the broken pieces of the Seal. The knife did not just stop. The force was not merely absorbed. The Seal was just super hard.

I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like "Whatever force is used against it just makes it stronger". It didn't say it absorbed the force, merely that it becomes stronger when force is applied to it.

On a side note: If the above is true, why didn't the "Watcher of the Seals" constantly, or at least regularly, channel against the Seals to make them stronger? Seems to be a no brainer. Between The BReaking and The Trolloc Wars where they were lost, seems like they could have made the Seals super-duper-extra-ultra-fantastically-strong, and prevent the DO from breaking free. Or, for that matter, once the Seals are found again, just channel into them until they get stronger. Nyn had one for quite some time and was afraid to carry it for fear of breaking it. So, maybe a weak weave to tap against the Seal. Rinse and repeat until it is no longer soft enough to cut. Then, increase the power of the weave. Rinse and repeat until you hammer at the thing with Balefire (which, BTW, doesn't seem to destroy Cuendillar objects).
This is assuming that the physical strength is what is keeping the dark one locked up which is quite silly. It's more likely that the physical seals could have been anything and cuellindar was chosen so the seals don't get lost and destroyed by mistake.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
The Aiel do welcome gleemen into the Waste, and let them travel around wherever they like to go. Musicians being the way they are, I suspect that would result in a fairly steady supply of outside genes for the Aiel.
Gleemen aren't stupid. The only non aiel we have seen sleep with an Aiel woman and live are Matt and Rand and look at what they had to go through before and after the deed.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default RJ wrong about Taim again

Cortar, you are my hero.

Long live Taimandred.

Also, Cuendillar blades must be less advantageous than Power-wrought blades, or that's what Heron-mark blades would look like.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortar View Post
Gleemen aren't stupid. The only non aiel we have seen sleep with an Aiel woman and live are Matt and Rand and look at what they had to go through before and after the deed.
True, I think, as far as it goes. It doesn't go all that far, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFoH, Chapter 29, Memories of Saldaea
Rummaging in the cabinets by touch, he pulled out butchering knife. Disposing of a whole corpse would be difficult, but luckily the dead did not bleed much; the robe would absorb what little there was. Maybe he could find the woman who had left the note under his door. If she was not pretty enough, she must have friends who were also Darkfriends. Natael would not care if it was an Aiel woman who visited him Kadere would rather have bedded a viper himself; Aiel were dangerous and maybe an Aiel would have a better chance than Isendre against Aviendha. Kneeling, he hummed quietly to himself as he worked, a lullaby that Teodora had taught him.
This suggests, but does not quite explicitly spell out, that the gleeman Jasin Natael had slept with Aiel before.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Youngling

Whizbang is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe Cuendillar is too heavy? Or maybe there was some really strict rules about what could be made into Cuendillar. It supposedly lasts forever, so they wouldn't want to flood the world with things that will never disappear. They also are coming from an age of peace, where swords is merely a game. So, making a Cuendillar sword would imply a permenance to the fighting needed to be done. They were hoping the fighting would stop at some point and they could melt down the swords and turn them into something else.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:29 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortar View Post
RJ has been wrong before.... For example: he was wrong about Taim being Demendred
*high five*
Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Youngling

boy is an unknown quantity at this point

This remains my favourite needlessly tortured theory.

I can't wait till AMoL comes out so I can explain how obvious it is that it's still true.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizbang View Post
Quote:
TITLE: Eye of the World
CHAPTER: 52 - Neither Beginning Nor End
"Cuendillar, " Moiraine said. "Heartstone. No one has been able to make it since the Age of Legends, and even then it was made only for the greatest purpose. Once made, nothing can break it. Not the One Power itself wielded by the greatest Aes Sedai who ever lived aided by the most powerful sa'angreal ever made. Any power directed against heartstone only makes it stronger."
although Moiraine has been proven wrong before, or misguided, or misinformed, it is repeated throughtout the books that cuendillar is unbreakable.

However, when I found this quote I was struck by the bolded part as it SCREAMS Lanfear (enhanced as we know she is - heheheh - to be the most powerful, ever) and her possibly finding a way to break cuendillar. Dunno, just found it interesting and wondered if it was a loose thread or not, or if it in fact shows she will be the one to help Rand use Callandor. And use it how? To finally break all the seals.

Edited to add:

Lanfear isn't Aes Sedai, so I am probably wrong
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001

Last edited by SauceyBlueConfetti; 10-10-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: omg I cannot spell and now I have a new idea
Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Youngling

Lost One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tinker vrs Aiel Bloodlines

Peace of the light be upon you.

I think Aiel was a job discription during the AOL. Perhaps, there were different kinds of Aiel. After all, in the terangral, during the AOL, the Aiel who who served and were sent away with the OP toys, were the Da'Shain Aiel. It is only after wandering that they became referred to simply as Aiel, which broke furt her into Jenn, Aiel, and Tuathan.

Aiel Bloodlines are basically inbred traits. They did not accept/mix with others after they picked up the spear.

Tu'Athan accept all who wish to join, young men or women, i.e. the whole stealing children stereotype. However, if someone had joined for a while, and then left because they did not like it, genetic legacy could have still been passed. Spouses/lovers leave families all the time. They also would have taken in refugees.

While I will not say a will not say a Tinker girl is "as forward as a farmgirl at harvest", the do know the Tingaza, and the Sa'Sara.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Youngling

Lost One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oh yeah

I can tell a guy started this thread because of the interest in Egwene's virginity.. lol