art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (2): ShadowbaneX, qrbevacquawerne,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > Brandon Sanderson
User Name
Password

Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Youngling

phoenix2563 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alloy of Law *SPOILERS*

So I went to the signing for Alloy of Law in Houston today, and when I went to get my book signed I asked him about the "Trell" religion and how it connected to the prior Mistborn books/Scadrial. In resoponse, I got a sly grin and a RAFO card. He did say he would write me a hint in my book though. He wrote "Rust and Ruin!" Could there be a connection between Trell and Rust? Maybe another Shard (Rust?) on Scadrial? It sounded like from his response that we will see more of Trell in future Mistborn novels.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

I can't really remember what "Trell" was in the original series... Was it a House?

Anyway, about the series in general, since we don't have another thread about it yet:
I liked the book, although it's not as great as Mistborn. That may of course be because those books were twice as big and therefore allowed for more storytelling.

The ending puts down a great sequel hook for futher books:
Spoiler:
Marsh!

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

That is correct, Sarevok, he even verified it on Twitter #torchat on Monday.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 11-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinespringBrother View Post
That is correct, Sarevok, he even verified it on Twitter #torchat on Monday.
It wasn't a question.

Seeing as how
Spoiler:
"Ironeyes" remarked that he's "not that good a soothing. Breeze was better at that."

Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Youngling

Khestra is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix2563 View Post
So I went to the signing for Alloy of Law in Houston today, and when I went to get my book signed I asked him about the "Trell" religion and how it connected to the prior Mistborn books/Scadrial. In resoponse, I got a sly grin and a RAFO card. He did say he would write me a hint in my book though. He wrote "Rust and Ruin!" Could there be a connection between Trell and Rust? Maybe another Shard (Rust?) on Scadrial? It sounded like from his response that we will see more of Trell in future Mistborn novels.
During my re-read of the original trilogy, the first time I see Trell mentioned is when Sazed presents a religion to Vin's consideration for the very first time. Trell had a "jealous brother" called Nalt. Not currently in a position to cut and paste the whole section, so I recommend a re-read of chapter 9 in the second part of book one.
“You secretly harbor a love of painting, and you wish you could escape this life of death you’ve committed yourself to. You came through Trustair on your way south, rather than taking a more direct route, because you love the mountains. You’re hoping to hear word of your younger brother, whom you haven’t seen in years, and who disappeared on a hunting trip in southern Andor. You have a very tortured past. Read page four.” ~Matrim
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Youngling

Khestra is an unknown quantity at this point

**Arg double post thanks to phone browser issues...sorry**
“You secretly harbor a love of painting, and you wish you could escape this life of death you’ve committed yourself to. You came through Trustair on your way south, rather than taking a more direct route, because you love the mountains. You’re hoping to hear word of your younger brother, whom you haven’t seen in years, and who disappeared on a hunting trip in southern Andor. You have a very tortured past. Read page four.” ~Matrim

Last edited by Khestra; 11-21-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: double post
Old 11-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I finished reading it last night. Overall, it was decent...albeit a little too short. It felt like reading a one-act play as it literally was over just as it was getting interesting. Part of the problem I have right now is I really haven't been following his talking points on this new Mistborn series...is it another trilogy? Is it a longer seriez? Is it episodic with Wax and Wayne as main characters along with the girl (whose name escapes me in a drink-infused haze), etc etc.

BS pulled off guns and fantasy...so credit to him for that. I like the allomancy/feruchemical combinations and I'd like to see some hemolurgy too...outside of the one guy who was mentioned above as a surprise guest from the last books. I was hoping against hope that one of them would turn out to be a full mistborn but I'm guessing that will be saved for the next book. There's no way Brandon doesnt have one show up at some point soon.

One criticism I do have for the novel is that Wax and Wayne's "voice" is/was very similar IMHO to the two male characters in Warbreaker as well as to a couple of Kelsier's crew in Mistborn as well. His "buddy cop" voice always sounds/reads the same to me. But then, his "young females" almost always read the same to me too (like all the females in Warbreaker read in the same voice to me...as did Vin). It was a credit that that was not the case in this book.

Yeah, its a very minor quibble but I felt like bringing it up to see if I wasn't the only one.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Part of the problem I have right now is I really haven't been following his talking points on this new Mistborn series...is it another trilogy? Is it a longer seriez? Is it episodic with Wax and Wayne as main characters along with the girl (whose name escapes me in a drink-infused haze), etc etc.
Sanderson has stated that he'll be doing two more trilogies on the Mistborn world, the second of them being further into the future and would therefore probably be into sci-fi territory.
The Alloy of Law is not part of the second trilogy. What I read from it, it was a writing excercise he did to clear his head before starting on aMoL, that then turned out so well that he thought he might as well publish it.
(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

On your second point: characters never read in a "voice" to me. It's just letters on paper; I never hear a voice.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Youngling

Cortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of lightCortar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
Sanderson has stated that he'll be doing two more trilogies on the Mistborn world, the second of them being further into the future and would therefore probably be into sci-fi territory.
The Alloy of Law is not part of the second trilogy. What I read from it, it was a writing excercise he did to clear his head before starting on aMoL, that then turned out so well that he thought he might as well publish it.
(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

On your second point: characters never read in a "voice" to me. It's just letters on paper; I never hear a voice.
I don't think he means actual voice. He is talking about the way they say things and what words they use.

On a similar note, I have NEVER seen an author use the phrase "spinster" more than BS, ever.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortar View Post
I don't think he means actual voice. He is talking about the way they say things and what words they use.

On a similar note, I have NEVER seen an author use the phrase "spinster" more than BS, ever.
I agree, there was a tempest of spinster usage.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished it, and it was OK. It didn't have an epic feel to it, and didn't quite have enough fun for a cops and robbers caper. But as always, his magic systems impress. He has those down to a science- literally.

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Just finished it, and it was OK. It didn't have an epic feel to it, and didn't quite have enough fun for a cops and robbers caper. But as always, his magic systems impress. He has those down to a science- literally.
Pretty much agree with this assessment. It was a quick fun read but nothing really serious.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Correct. I'd consider it more of a teaser for the next trilogy he'll eventually write on the planet.