art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skokie Tour Stop - January 9

Brandon, Harriet, and Maria were at the Barnes and Noble in Skokie, IL (Chicagoland) on January 9, 2013. There was no reading at this event; they jumped directly to the Q&A. I taped the Q&A, and that will be transcribed and reported on separately.

The questions and answers below are only the ones that I asked during the signing. Because of the way that the bookstore structured the signing area and line, it wasn't really easy to listen in on other questions being asked during the signing. The questions and answers are paraphrased . . . things weren't really set up for me to be able to easily record them.

Q (from Terez, to Brandon): We found out in Knife of Dreams that some of the Forsaken (most especially Moridin) are able to 'read' the Pattern to locate ta'veren, for example. How (or where) do they 'read' the Pattern? Do they use Tel'aran'rhiod? Or the Gap of Infinity?
Brandon: I don't know.
(Brandon looks at Maria) Maria: I don't know. It might be in the notes.

[I asked this next one just for fun to Harriet because Brandon often tells the story of the first time he got to read the last scene that RJ wrote.]
Q (to Harriet): Brandon always tells the story about going to your house in Charleston for the first time, and you had some soup on the stove, which you offered to him. But he just wanted to read the ending. My question is: Did he ever eat the soup?
Harriet (laughs): Yes.
Brandon (who was listening in): Yes, I did have the soup later. And it was very good.
Q (to Brandon): It was bean soup, wasn't it?
Brandon: Yes, it was black bean soup.

Q (from Terez, to Maria): Peter suggested we ask you: Is Rand's third question to the Aelfinn (specifically) known? Is it in the notes?
Maria: Yes, it is known and it is in the notes. It will be included in the encyclopedia.

Q (from Terez, to Brandon): In The Gathering Storm, Rand says to Nynaeve: "Dream on my behalf, Nynaeve. Dream for things I no longer can." Was this a red herring? Or was it a completely innocent statement?
Brandon: It wasn't a red herring. I meant it as a completely innocent statement. It was just about Rand telling Nynaeve to keep on wishing for him to be able to live.

Q (to Harriet): RJ always said that he included a piece of you in each of his female characters. Other than being likened to Semirhage when you asked RJ to take out the garbage, can you identify the specific parts of the main characters (like Egwene or Nynaeve or Moiraine) that are from you? Did you and RJ discuss it at all?
Harriet: He didn't consult with me on this. (laughter) As for characters, I tend to be like the one who offers up tea with lemon and honey.

Q (to Maria): We know that when the Tower split, about 1/3 of Aes Sedai sided with Elaida, 1/3 sided with the rebels, and 1/3 stood apart. Aside from those who were Black among the ones that stood apart, when the Tower was reunited, did those sisters return to the Tower?
Maria: I don't know. I imagine that some returned, but I'm not aware of the disposition of all of them.

Q (to Maria): What about Cadsuane's contingent of Aes Sedai? We know that she gathered sisters to her, and we see several with her throughout the books. What about the others? And what about those at the Silver Swan? Were they hers?
Maria: I don't know about the others. There may be something more definitive in the notes about the ones at the Silver Swan, but I'm not sure.

Q (to Brandon): We know that during the War of Power, entire cities were destroyed by balefire. It doesn't seem like (up until AMoL, at least) enough balefire had been used during the Third Age to be anything close to what was used in the War of Power. Can you speak a little more about the cumulative effects? How much balefire is required before the Pattern starts to be significantly affected?
Brandon: My interpretation of the way it works is that it's about a lot of balefire over a short period of time (and in a localized position) that causes the most serious damage to the Pattern. Cracks form in reality (like we see in AMoL) when this occurs. The Pattern can sort of heal itself if the balefire ceases. It's kind of like an engine overheating.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Just to clarify, I didn't ask if the third question was known; Marie threw that in for some reason.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Does anyone else find it slightly odd that after an undertaking of this magnitude there are things like the AS above that the team isn't sure about?
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora
Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

The Aes Sedai thing was less surprising to me than the thing about reading the Pattern. Maria said it might be in the notes. That implies she's never wondered about it before and looked it up...which I can't really relate to...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
The Aes Sedai thing was less surprising to me than the thing about reading the Pattern. Maria said it might be in the notes. That implies she's never wondered about it before and looked it up...which I can't really relate to...
Probably more of just a job than a pure passion for her...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Probably more of just a job than a pure passion for her...
No. Maria is awesome. And it's very clear from talking with her that she really really loves what she does.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7 View Post
Q (to Maria): We know that when the Tower split, about 1/3 of Aes Sedai sided with Elaida, 1/3 sided with the rebels, and 1/3 stood apart. Aside from those who were Black among the ones that stood apart, when the Tower was reunited, did those sisters return to the Tower?
Maria: I don't know. I imagine that some returned, but I'm not aware of the disposition of all of them.
That is sort of answered somewhat in ToM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToM, Chapter 5, Writings
"The White Tower is abuzz these days with returning sisters and new Warders," Sleete said softly. "How would anyone-no matter how stealthy-travel the upper levels wearing black without drawing attention?"
If this had been about the rebels who had already returned, then the formulation used would probably have been "returned sisters" rather than "returning sisters". That's not quite conclusive, but it does suggest that there were a substantial number of AS who 'accidentally' were coming out of the woodworks now that they no longer had to pick a side in a silly squabble.