art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 03/08 - 09/08
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

Because most other languages, such as French, for instance, strive to native-fy foreign words. We don't change words, hence "rendez-vous," "fiance(e)," etc.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I didn't do so bad on the quiz - it was a lot simpler than I suspected it would be. In other words, all I had to do was the listing kind of stuff, and none of that fill-in-the-blank conversation stuff.

Oh, and I was right about beginnt.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Note: I wrote this post while reading the thread. Therefore, some things I write may have been discussed before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terez
Du, Robert, warum stehest du hier und tust nichts?
Not sure, but looks weird

Quote:
Vater und ich arbeite im Garten.
Father + me = we
==>wir arbeiten

Quote:
Die Band spielen sehr gut.
"the band" = it (technically she)
==>Die Band spielt

Quote:
Am Montag beginnt Schule.
I'd say:
"beginnt die Schule"
not sure this one is wrong, though.

Quote:
Und wie viel kosten das?
"das" = it
==> kostet

Quote:
Viel. Kleider kostet viel.
Clothes = they
==> kosten

Quote:
Das seit ja kalt!
"Das" = it
==> ist

Quote:
Ja, das Thermometer zeiget minus zehn!
==>zeigt

Quote:
da kostet es nicht so viel.
Should be "dann"
"da" technically means "there"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo
Ja, das Thermometer zeignet minus zehn!
*kicks Gonzo*
The thermometer does not draw. It "indicates". i.e. "zeigt"

Quote:
Quote:
Am Montag begint Schule. (I would have said "Am Montag begint die Schule.", but that may be old fashioned, a dialect I picked up somewhere, or just plain wrong.)
Nope, you're right about the article which I omitted accidentally. I thought it was "beginnt" though...
Terez is right.

Quote:
On this one, my book told me I had to use a form of the verb "sein" to fill in the blank.
I guessed that "das" would follow the same rules as "es",
correct
Quote:
and that "sein" would follow the same rules as "tun", but of course I could be wrong...
Uhm... no, "sein" = "to be" wich follows no rules in all the languages I know of...

Quote:
Die Band spielet sehr gut. Sag mal, tanzt du?
==> spielt

Quote:
Du, Robert, warum stehst du hier und tust nichts? (I'm not sure about this one, and the longer I think the less certain I am. But I think it should not be stehest. That just sounds wrong.)
seconded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil
We don't change words, hence "rendez-vous," "fiance(e)," etc.
*points at the dropped Ú in fiancÚ(e)*

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset

Last edited by Sarevok; 09-22-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

We don't do funny symbols over letters.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

That's not a dropped "e," Sare. Techinically, you're supposed to add an "e," for women and keep it to the single "e," for men.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilshalos Sedai
That's not a dropped "e," Sare. Techinically, you're supposed to add an "e," for women and keep it to the single "e," for men.
I know that, I've even been telling that to (I think it was Dav) when het talked about his fiance.
I was referring to the ' above e.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

So, that means we didn't alter it, since the French do the same.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

wow, sare did with that long post what I've been trying to stop myself from doing. lol.

Quote:
I'd say:
"beginnt die Schule"
not sure this one is wrong, though.
it is.

and I note terez seems to be using the kind of language that would have been used for schubert songs, but that nobody would actually speak. "stehest, zeiget"

uhm.. my 2 pennies.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

I'm just doing what the book tells me to. And you're the second person to correct me on something that I already said was a mistake of omission.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Third, I think. At least, if I get what you're talking about (die Schule). I told you, Sarevok told you, and now Anaiya is the third. Back to school for you, it seems.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Third, I think. At least, if I get what you're talking about (die Schule). I told you, Sarevok told you, and now Anaiya is the third. Back to school for you, it seems.
You pointed it out before I pointed out it was an error of omission.