art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Egwene?
Egwene is made of awesome. 12 11.88%
Egwene is pretty cool. 35 34.65%
Meh. 25 24.75%
Egwene sucks. 16 15.84%
Egwene should die in a fire. 13 12.87%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Youngling

suttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant futuresuttree has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Some of Egwene's thoughts on Halima:

In other words: the victim was asking for it.

Which, generally, is considered a somewhat sexist attitude when used to 'justify' violence between man and woman.
God mate could you possibly try any harder...
"Waves are the ultimate illusion. They come out of nowhere, instantaneously materialize, and just as quickly they break and vanish. Chasing after such fleeting mirages is a complete wast of time. That is what I choose to do with my life." - Miki Dora
Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Youngling

Lost One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mistaken... Min's Veiwing of Berelain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
There's actually a line in TGH that I was going to ask about in a separate thread linking the two. I don't have the chapter and page, as I caught it in a 're-listen' (Yes, I know some of you hate Audible's version of the books, but I spend a lot of time on the road these days so these help me stay awake.)

(Gonzo was awesome and found the passage for me.) One of the things she mentions is some kind of link to Galad. Yet so far, from this point on in the books, Egwene has less interest in Galad and more in Gawyn.

Did I miss what fulfilled Min's vision of Egwene and Galad being linked, or has there been speculation of what that link is, considering or despite Egwene and Gawyn at this stage at the end of ToM?
I just did a re-read of the series.. and while I am not sure of which book it is in, much less chapter and page, (though I think it is in CoS as this isabout the last time that Min was around Berelain, and they had many Shiado Gaishain) Min tells Rand about a viewing of Berelain falling for a man shrouded in white. At the time, it sounds like she will fall for a gaishain, but now, it is evident that is is Galad. And he is smitten with her as well.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but there's a second prophetic link between Egwene and Galad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDR, Chapter 32, The First Ship
"I don't know why you might think that," Thom said dryly. "Next you could try telling the Lord Captain Commander of the Whitecloaks he should marry the Amyrlin Seat." His brows drew down, like white caterpillars. "High Lord Samon. I never heard of any High Lord Samon."
Combined, it may be that Egwene and Berelain will have to become sister-wives of Galad and Gawyn. Or maybe Gawyn will once again be left out; that seems to be his standard approach anyways.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:51 AM
Youngling

jameshazza is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see where some people come from about her views on AS. However, she does notice the flaws in the Tower and the AS, she always has. I think when she makes glowing/admiring statements she's talking about what AS of lore were or what AS should be and what she hopes to make the AS into.

I was never annoyed by her but she definitely became more interesting to me once she got to the WT and I fell in love with her during her time in the Waste.

I look forward to her Chapters more than anyone else's, although I'm sure Moirane might take preference in AMoL.

I just feel she's a very diverse character and I love/truly relate to her thirst for knowledge about anything and everything.

The only thing that has me pressed is the lackluster channeling during the Seanchan invasion, but that's not her fault.

At the end of the day haters gonna' hate. The series is essentially built around strong female characters so it's no surprise a lot of people have a problem with that.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshazza View Post
I can see where some people come from about her views on AS. However, she does notice the flaws in the Tower and the AS, she always has. I think when she makes glowing/admiring statements she's talking about what AS of lore were or what AS should be and what she hopes to make the AS into.
Well, there is her stupidity in regard to the Three Oaths, for instance. She thinks that it should make people trust AS, but at the same time she knows very well that they do not make AS trustworthy at all. So she is blaming others for not falling for her own hypocrisy.

Quote:
At the end of the day haters gonna' hate. The series is essentially built around strong female characters so it's no surprise a lot of people have a problem with that.
The problem isn't that they are strong, the problem is that a lot of them are not worthy of the respect they demand.

In real life, Nynaeve would be amazingly annoying to be around, but she would be worthy of the respect she demands, and more.
Egwene demands even more respect, and she is definitely not worthy of it.

A lot of the power and prestige of the White Tower is founded in the fact that they are very effective bullies. They need a fair amount of strength to keep that going, true, but that does not make their bullying any more admirable.

All in all, I would say that the Tinkers deserve more respect (despite the fact that their ideology is wacky) than the AS. With the Tinkers, it doesn't matter whether they are male or female, they are really equal in that.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM
Youngling

hippie-joe will become famous soon enoughhippie-joe will become famous soon enough

AMoL spoiler-
(i can't remember how to do the black spoiler block but i'm gonna try)

ok well nevermind everything i tried didn't work. so i'll say it this way.

egwene is annoying the entire series, she only has a few minor displays of awesome. once when the seanchan go to the tower and the whole deal with samirage(sp?) and then in the last battle at merrilor in AMoL. these events are the only reason she ranks at pretty cool. if there were a choice between meh and pretty awesome then that is where she would stand imo.

there are too few new ideas out there. most are just reworded, evolved or used in a different context than the original...

Last edited by hippie-joe; 01-27-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

Marie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond reputeMarie Curie 7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie-joe View Post
AMoL spoiler-
(i can't remember how to do the black spoiler block but i'm gonna try)

{spoiler:}
asdfasdfasdfasdf
{:spoiler}
And it's good that you didn't remember. This thread is in the General WoT forum - no AMoL spoilers are allowed in this forum, even with spoiler tags, (which, by the way, are explained here). If you want to post something about AMoL, do it in the AMoL forum. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Youngling

hippie-joe will become famous soon enoughhippie-joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Curie 7 View Post
And it's good that you didn't remember. This thread is in the General WoT forum - no AMoL spoilers are allowed in this forum, even with spoiler tags, (which, by the way, are explained here). If you want to post something about AMoL, do it in the AMoL forum. Thanks.
oh ok thanks for the heads up, its prolly been a year and a half since i've logged on.
i don't think i gave any spoilers in my post above.

there are too few new ideas out there. most are just reworded, evolved or used in a different context than the original...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Well, you did give a spoiler concerning Semirhage, whereas until now all we'd known was that Egwene had clashed with Mesaana.
It does raise the question: who is going to bring Semirhage back from the dead, when not even the DO could do so?

PS I notice that it is more fun to do this to someone else than it was when someone did it to me. Peculiar, that.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Well, you did give a spoiler concerning Semirhage, whereas until now all we'd known was that Egwene had clashed with Mesaana.
It does raise the question: who is going to bring Semirhage back from the dead, when not even the DO could do so?

PS I notice that it is more fun to do this to someone else than it was when someone did it to me. Peculiar, that.
oh my bad...
though it was from memory and mine is as bad as mats is after being healed from the dagger. so it very well may have been mesaana instead of semirhage. it happened a few books ago so yeah.

Tags
egwene