art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 03/08 - 09/08
User Name
Password

Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glad our school bus driver cares

This is crazy- 5 years old! My kid's bus driver treats them like snowflakes, but I would prefer that to a bus driver that just sends a 5 year old off the bus in NYC because his line is finished- talk about irresponsible. And kudos for reporting that a stanger actually helped- we hear so much about stranger danger that it is often forgotten that there are strangers taht are decent people like you and me.

Quote:
NEW YORK - A New York City mother wants to know why her first-grade son was left to wander the streets alone after being dropped off by a school bus driver at the end of the line.

School officials say they don't know who put five-year-old Jaeden Vasquez on the bus Thursday - especially since he wasn't even supposed to be on it.

He lives across the street from the school in the Bronx.

His mother, Aileen Bonilla, says the school apologized but that isn't enough.

Five-year-old children aren't supposed to be let off school buses unless an adult is waiting. Jaeden says he was ordered off the bus at the last stop, more than three kilometres from his home. A stranger brought him home.

School officials say they are investigating.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

Was he let off with other students? Did he say anything to the bus driver about being lost or anything?

I'll withold my "wtf" until I know. Cause if the bus driver was letting off other children, and the 5 yo didn't say anything, then the bus driver might not be some jerk.
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

True enough. I guess coming from a rural community- our bus drivers know all our children by name, and where their stop is and when they should get off. In a big city it might be different.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Still, the kid apparently should not have been dropped off unless there was an adult waiting for him. An adult he would presumably recognise as "good folk", though that bit wasn't specified in the story.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

There are two rules in our bus system to try and prevent this exact situation (because we all know bus drivers have their hands full).

1. Must see an adult for children under a certain age (the age probably varies, but 5 years old would definitely fall into this category)

2. Kids must have one pick up location, and one drop off location. No using the bus to go to a friend's house, or even chilcare arrangments. It is just too hard for the drivers to keep track.

These rules can be annoying for us busy parents that are trying to arrange childcare etc- but imagine being a bus driver that is responsible for dozens of children and driving at the same time. These rules work.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Ancient

Cary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant futureCary Sedai has a brilliant future

I was a latch-key kid myself, and there was never an adult waiting on me, or any of the rest of us either. Of course we weren't in a big city, either.

Here in Austin, I've rarely seen an adult waiting at the bus stop, and a lot of our school kids ride the city bus to and from school. The most they get is a warning on the back of the bus that states "caution: school kids may be entering or exiting the bus"
First-sister to Nazbaque, Great Lord of the Flame
Near-sister to Terez, Quotemistress
Lady of Chaos, official member of LoC, Big-sis to Rand & Myr...Woohoo!
Un-official adopted daughter of Pops'Taer, a.k.a. Cary'Taer
Cary Sedai, The first ever, Fairy of the TCA
Old 09-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

our bus driver knew us all - all 50 of us who squeezed onto our double decker bus. rules were: get on, show your ticket (no matter if they've seen you every day twice for the last 2 years), busdriver then knows where you're going, and at your stop you get shouted at if you don't get off.

but then, that's not an elementary school bus.

my little brother takes a bus to school every day, and they have the same rules. (apart from that they really are treated like snowflakes on an armoured bus with bulletproof glass, and an armed mossad guard at the front >.< )

if the kid wasn't supposed to have been on the bus, why did the driver let him on? especially with young childred there should be some sort of supervising system.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita
True enough. I guess coming from a rural community- our bus drivers know all our children by name, and where their stop is and when they should get off. In a big city it might be different.
A school bus holds 20 to 50 kids whether it is in the country or a big city. Even if a driver has to pick up two or three loads each day, that's easily few enough for a driver to at least know the faces and numbers for each stop on each route.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Hmm, can't really comment on this... I've never been on a bus. I walked to elementary school (5 min) and rode my bike to high school (15 min).

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 09-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

You were on a bus in Copenhagen just this summer sare! A rather unusual bus but a bus none the less
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

You know I mean a schoolbus, Naz

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Elder

irerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really niceirerancincpkc is just really nice

My family was friends with my bus driver, and the one time my mom didn't make it to the bus stop, the driver took me to her house. She was a good cook...