art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > Your Fiction
User Name
Password

Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
it has always been said in the book so far that adam opening is not that simple; as in the links don't show unless u specifically know what you are looking for.
Thom spent weeks with Mat planning on how to escape Ebou Dar. It's not a stretch at all to think he would have shown Thom how to open one. Mat opens an a'dam quickly and easily in Knife of Dreams.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I would expect Thom to have picked up the trick too by now.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 AM
Youngling

Mat is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Mat

Tell me more, tell me more
Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Youngling

morat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to beholdmorat'corlm is a splendid one to behold

It seems you've stopped rather than getting roped into writing the whole conclusion to AMOL yourself, so I guess I'll say now that I enjoyed what you put together.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Elder

jana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond reputejana has a reputation beyond repute

Ya, indefinitely. I would probably have to get really drunk to think I could write Tuon/Rand/Moiraine/Mat/Egwene in the same room.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Elder

Sukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to behold

Aww, it's over? You're probably right. I can't imagine the agony of trying to write all of the main characters together.

But... maybe you could write something else? Maybe something prequel- or sequel-esque? Seriously, I had so much fun reading your fiction.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Youngling

Atax is an unknown quantity at this point

I lurk these boards but I felt inclined to register because of your work. I really enjoyed it and hope you decide to do more (or like Sukoto suggested). Thanks for the enjoyable read!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Youngling

manolin is an unknown quantity at this point

please write some more. These are dreary days in office, which can only be redeemed by reading some WOT.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Youngling

Vicious Circle is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to congratulate you on your great story telling ability! The only thing that pulled me out of total immersion was your use of "okay". That's such a modern word that it was a little jarring. Can't wait to read more of your stuff, hint,hint.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default MIght I add

“Would you like to talk?” Rand asked softly.

“Certainly,” Moiraine replied.

Rising from his stool, he turned his back on Mat and Perrin – the pair of them were still comparing potential designs for Mat's eye patch – and ducked low to step through the tent flaps. He straightened once outside, shut his eyes and turned his face up to the silver moonlight. The scent of woodsmoke from various campfires brought a smile to his face. It was good to enjoy simple pleasures.

Moiraine followed him out of the tent, somehow making the act of stooping low seem regal. She took her place beside Rand, clasped her hands together behind her back and stared out at the encampment. She said nothing but the slight twitch of her lips made her good mood quite apparent. Rand felt a bit unsettled by that. Most of his interactions with Moiraine had been fraught with animosity; he almost found himself unable to accept the notion that she would be happy to see him.

Glancing over his shoulder, he nodded toward a thicket of trees. “Would you like to walk?”

“If you'd prefer,” she replied..

A sly smile crept over Rand's face. “I think you've set a new standard in noncommittal answers,” he teased. He turned to her, cocked his head to the side and let the smile become a wicked grin. “It's good to know you're still Aes Sedai at heart.”

Moiriane actually snorted and chuckled hard enough to shake with mirth. She reached up, brushing a lock of curly hair out of her eyes. “It's good to know that you've learned to laugh for reasons other than bitterness,” she said, turning that serene gaze on him. Those eyes... Dark and haunted. Was this truly the same woman who had left his side in Cairhien? Moiriane pursed her lips and nodded curtly. “Yes. Let's walk. At the moment, I value any chance I can get to breathe fresh air.

Rand arched an eyebrow but said nothing.

He turned on his heel, brought his hand and stump together behind his back and walked with his shoulders square, his head held high. Cadsuane told him it was a kingly posture. Amazing how he adopted it so easily now. Rand kept his gaze fixed on the distant trees. His mouth tightened into a frown. “I suppose you won't tell me where you've been all this time? What happened to you or why you now Carry Mierin- Lanfear's angreal

“Another time,” Moiraine said, falling in at his side. “Your hand...”

“Lost to Semirhage,” he replied.

“Does it trouble you?”

Rand felt his smile return. “Only when I try to count past five.”

They crossed into the thicket of trees, now cut off from the light of the campfires. Taking hold of saidin, Rand raised his hand and spun a complex web of Fire. A globe of light appeared above his upturned palm. He gave a start upon realizing that Moiraine had done the exact same thing. The Aes Sedai now stood beside him with a tiny globe hovering half a foot in front of her face. She glanced over her shoulder and smiled. “You have learned much; I remember when you could not light a candle with the One Power. And is it true that you have cleansed saidin of the Dark One's taint?”

Rand nodded. “It's true.”

“How?”

He scrunched his eyes tight, shook his head quickly. “That's a long and complicated story.” He stepped over an exposed root, onto a bit of higher ground, then turned and offered his hand to Moiraine. When she took it, he helped her up, their globes of light dancing above their heads. Rand faced Moiraine and grinned, letting the expression touch his eyes. “You might say that you gave me the idea; you told me once that the evil of Shadar Logoth was as potent as that of Shayol Ghul, but as hateful of the Dark One as it is of all other living things. I hit on the idea that the two might annihilate each other.”

Moiraine's eyes flared.

Rand shut his eyes and bowed his head.

“Astounding,” she said, as they started down the path again. “Such reasoning is the mark of a man with an intuitive understanding of the One Power and the True Source. It's hard to imagine that a young man from the Two Rivers, with no formal training in the art except what was provided by... Nateal.... would be capable of such a grand feat.”

Rand looked over his shoulder. “A young man from the Two Rivers would not have been.” He left her to mull that over.

“You remember it, don't you?” she asked from behind him.

“I remember everything,” he said, his eyebrows climbing up his forehead. He turned to her with a serious expression on his face, his eyes like polished gemstones. “Yes, Moiraine,” he said softly, “I remember the Age of Legends.” He took a deep, calming breath and crossed his arms before leaning his shoulder against the trunk of an old oak tree. Rand felt his lips quirk into a frown. Light, how did he explain it all? Rand al'Thor and Lews Therin – two names for he same man. It made perfect sense to him but it was one of those things that you couldn't explain to someone who hadn't experienced it. “I remember my life in that time, the things I did and the mistakes I made. I.... Oh, here, let me show you.”

Moiraine frowned. “Show me?”

Rand offered his hand. “Link with me,” he said, nodding slowly.

She arched an eyebrow.

“Trust me,” he whispered.

Rand released the source, his ball of light winking out, and put himself on the edge of seizing saidin. He felt the Power calling to him, tempting him, begging him to take hold of it and use it. It was almost too much to bear. Only a few seconds of concentration and sweat began to bead across his forehead. He was just about to bark at Moiraine to hurry up and link with him when a sudden rush of Power surged through him. Tidal waves of flame, mountains of collapsing ice. He should have warned her. Moiraine would be unprepared for the battle with saidin

“By the light...” she whispered, her eyes as wide as teacups. “Is that?”

Saidin” he answered. “Quickly, pass me control of the ring.”

“The what?”

“The... circle.” Rand ground his teeth. “Pass me control.” He could take it on his own but the process would be painful for Moiraine. His apprehension faded when he became aware of saidar like a tranquil river beside saidin's rushing rapids. Moiraine was drawing on her angreal. Curious. He would have to inquire about that but he had the distinct impression he would learn scant little of what had happened to her. Rand let out a sigh of relief.

“Watch carefully,” he instructed. “It's about time someone taught you this.” Drawing on the female half of the True Source, he wove Spirit in an intricate net. Memories from his life as Lews Therin provided the knowledge for what he needed to do. Moiraine would be able to see the flows. “You once asked me about this weave – or rather its male equivalent. I regret that I couldn't teach it to you then.”

A vertical slash appeared, seven straight feet of silvery light. At Rand's command, it rotated open into a doorway that led to the roof of the Sun Palace in Cairhien. Moiraine should recognize her the city of her birth, even at night. “The key is to create a similarity between two distant places, make them identical. That is how one travels with saidar.”

“Dear Creator,” Moiraine whispered.

Releasing the Source – the gateway and the remaining ball of light vanishing – Rand turned to Moiraine. “Do you think you can duplicate that weave? I can show you again.”

“You can weave saidar,” she mumbled.

“Of course I can,” Rand said. “I spent most of my adult life – the better part of four hundred years – working with both halves of the One Power. I wouldn't say I know saidar as well as most of the women of my time, or even most Aes Sedai living now, but I know the basics.” He turned to her, smiling a tiny smile. “Do you believe me now, Moiraine?”

Another ball of light appeared as she took hold of the Source. She set her jaw, pursed her lips and stared at him for a very long moment. “Rand, I believed you before your... demonstration.” She bowed her head, her eyes fixed on the root of a tree at her feet. “You are the Dragon Reborn, a figure of prophecy. You were... meant... to defy the ordinary.”

“Lanfear lives,” he told her.

“I suspected as much.”

“Ishamael too.”

Moiraine blinked. “Now, that I hadn't been expecting.”

“The Dark One has ways of restoring his servants,” Rand explained. He turned and braced his forearm across the tree trunk, pressing his forehead into the crook of his elbow. His mouth twisted into a scowl. “Imagine it, Moiraine,” he said, surprised at the harshness in his tone. “All of those desperate struggles for nothing. Sometimes, it makes me feel... Well, never mind. Balefire is the key to destroying the Forsaken permanently. Once touched by it, they cannot be saved by their master.”

Moiraine backed away, staring wide-eyed at Rand. “Balefire...” she whispered, looking down to study her own feet. Her shoulders slumped and she let out a long, deep breath. “A shame,” she went on with a slow shake of her head. “I had hoped that each Forsaken we destroyed was major victory, one less obstacle in our path to victory. Now... Only Be'lal is truly gone.”

“Rahvin too,” Rand said, frowning at the tree trunk.

Moiraine arched a thin eyebrow.

“I killed him with Balefire on the day that you...” He trailed off, spinning around to lean his back against the trunk. Rand folded his arms across his chest. He gazed up at the sky, sucking his bottom lip into his mouth. The day he had mentioned, the one in which he had lost Moiraine, had one of the most painful experiences of his life. Even her return had not truly healed the wounds.

“Rahvin's gone for good,” he said. “And possibly Sammael. I can't tell if my Balefire killed him before he was touched by Mashadar.”

Moiraine's eyebrows went up.

That brought a little amusement to Rand. He chuckled softly, doubled over and reached up to bury his face in the palm of his hand. He scrubbed that hand through his thick, red hair. “Let's just say that Sammael was always fond of dueling in elaborate locations.” He looked up to meet her gaze. “The man had a penchant for showing off. So arrogant!”

“So, what now?” Moiraine asked.

“Well,” Rand began. “Now I hope that Cadsuane is willing to share the position of advisor to the Lord Dragon. Because, frankly, I'm not sure she gets much choice in the matter.”

She nodded. “Perhaps we should return to camp.”
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Elder

Sukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to beholdSukoto is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Now... Only Be'lal is truly gone.”

“Rahvin too,” Rand said, frowning at the tree trunk.
Just read your excerpt. Nice!

Regarding the above quote: You forgot to mention Semirhage... didn't Rand kill her and Elza with balefire? Oh, and Rand probably still thinks he killed Graendal with balefire as well. Maybe you left out the women on purpose...
Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Youngling

manolin is an unknown quantity at this point

Jana please continue. Love your writing.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Elder

Bumping this once now that it's all over. I nearly tried to write stuff about Teslyn and Seta making their way to Egwene on several occasions but I always chickened out.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Sorry Mat. I was... distracted," he said. For some reason Mat had a piece of red cloth tied around his head that covered his eye. "What happened to you Mat?" he said, indicating the cloth.

Mat hesitated, looking at Moiraine. When she looked at Mat, a look close to tenderness passed across her face so quickly that Rand was sure he imagined it. Mat looked back at him. "That's a long story, Rand. What about your hand?"

"Also a long story," Rand nodded. He did not want to talk about his hand. Perhaps Mat did not want to talk about what had happened to him either.
BS didn't quite get that right, did he?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

OK, so I haven't read aMoL yet, but I have to be honest, I did wonder at one point if I was just reading a huge excerpt of the book which had been copied out. I hadn't seen the date of the posts then. Nice work